How do I connect a sound processor to my record player?

JulieGirl

Does pink 1 and 2 get connected to green 1 and 2?

If anyone has time thanks a whole bunchy.

I made all those numbers on there.

Attachments

• recordplayer.jpg
    recordplayer.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 82
  • newthing.jpg
    newthing.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 82
  • img_vyQY73rWM89FXqo_r.jpg
    img_vyQY73rWM89FXqo_r.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Thanks for trying to help. My turntable is plugged into my phono left and right. (The pic I used is from the internets)
Do I use this sound processor thing on the other phono left/right?
I don't know where the cords go into the back of the sound processor.
If you don't feel like bothering with this follow-up question don't worry about it. It's peachy.

Or does my turntable get plugged into the processor box?

I beg to differ. The record player HAS to attach to the the phono left and right on the amp/receiver. Your video sound processor gets connected to your tape rec/playback jacks like this:

Tape 2 Record (amp) to Receiver In (processor)
Tape 2 Play (amp) to Receiver out (processor)

The way you use it is to set the input selector on the amp to the music source you want to use. Set your amp controls to monitor or listen to Tape 2. If there is a switch on the amp for selecting the recording source for tape 2, set it to source, rather then dubbing. On the Processor set the Tape Monitor switch to out and the source switch to Receiver.

How this helps.

pre out main ins to receiver in outs .
or use tape in out to receiver in out

It has an expander. Placing it between the preamp outs and the power amp in will place the volume control in the circuit before the expander circuit, screwing up the operation of the expander, because the expander circuit is preset to decide on downward or upward expansion at a fixed level. Turning the volume down or up before the expander screws with the expansion algorithm. The only place in the chain that this will work properly is the tape in/out loop.

It has an expander. Placing it between the preamp outs and the power amp in will place the volume control in the circuit before the expander circuit, screwing up the operation of the expander, because the expander circuit is preset to decide on downward or upward expansion at a fixed level. Turning the volume down or up before the expander screws with the expansion algorithm. The only place in the chain that this will work properly is the tape in/out loop.
i stupidly made the assumption with it being marked receiver in and out .

Well, unless the turntable has the stage built in, the bare tape loop won't do it, as it won't do the RIAA processing required for proper equalization and playback. I use an external phono deck for that here. Doing that allows me to place pretty much anything I want into that loop. Currently running a dbx decoder and a dbx SNR1 noise reduction before the external stage, all running through one of my tape loops.

Bonus - a lot of built in phono stages tend to suck. Even a cheepie like my Art DJ Pre II runs rings around anything else I got.

tape loops should see riaa if phono is being used .
i see the clue with the processor replacing the used tape in and outs .. i have a graphic eq that does that

Well, unless the turntable has the stage built in, the bare tape loop won't do it, as it won't do the RIAA processing required for proper equalization and playback. I use an external phono deck for that here. Doing that allows me to place pretty much anything I want into that loop. Currently running a dbx decoder and a dbx SNR1 noise reduction before the external stage, all running through one of my tape loops.

Bonus - a lot of built in phono stages tend to suck. Even a cheepie like my Art DJ Pre II runs rings around anything else I got.

Given the presence of the heat sink fins, pre out/power in jacks and 2 phono inputs, one of which has shorting plugs, it is likely that it does have the RIAA preamp. As to it's quality, that is up to the OP to comment on. Although I do admit that the Art DJ does enjoy a very fine reputation on this board. I also found that built in phono preamps can be very fine as well. I have listened to 4 of them in my time, the built ins from an Eico 3070 Cortina kit, a Dynaco PAT 5 and the one in my McIntosh MA 6200. All have been very fine sounding. The one stand alone I listened to was for a moving coil cartridge I picked up (Denon DL 300) and the only difference I could tell between that and the built in circuit in my MA 6200 was the setting of the volume control. I'm sure your experience was different.

Shelly_D

Is it as simple as someone saying...connect the pink 3 to the green 5 or whatever?

The OP asked a specific question, and I don't see a correct answer yet. I cannot answer, but I recognize she(?) is not as techy yet as most of you all are...
Numbers and colors for our little sister, please. Help her learn.
Thanks,
Thomas

@JulieGirl

G1 > P5
G2 > P6
G3 > P7
G4 > P8

Then, to route signal through the processor, you need to have Tape Mon 1 engaged on the receiver.

The turntable goes to Phono 1 (left and right) on the receiver. These jacks are not numbered in your picture.

When you select Phono 1 as the source, with Tape Mon 1 engaged, that should run your record player signal through the processor.

You'd also need to have the Source switch on the processor set to Receiver.

A picture of the front panel (or just listing make and model) of the receiver might be helpful to advise the exact naming of the settings.

Last edited:
@JulieGirl

G1 > P5
G2 > P6
G3 > P7
G4 > P8

Then, to route signal through the processor, you need to have Tape Mon 1 engaged on the receiver.

The turntable goes to Phono 1 (left and right) on the receiver. These jacks are not numbered in your picture.

When you select Phono 1 as the source, with Tape Mon 1 engaged, that should run your record player signal through the processor.

You'd also need to have the Source switch on the processor set to Receiver.

A picture of the front panel (or just listing make and model) of the receiver might be helpful to advise the exact naming of the settings.

:thumbsup:

I was setting you up to use the "Tape 2" position, this sets you to use Tape 1. I figured you might have either a tape deck or a computer that you might want to hook up to the tape 1 position so I called out the jacks for the tape 2. I know realize that you probably do not have anything that you want to connect to these jacks, so whoaru99's wiring is perfect. Sorry for not using your green and pink numbering scheme.

Shelly_D

Back
Top Bottom