SX-950 - Push me over the edge

TH84

I've been following one for a few months...price just reduced too low to ignore.

Current daily setup is advent 6003's & b&w DM11s powered by a sansui 2000x, for primarily jazz & blues, with a little bit of everything else mixed in.

Is the SX-950 enough of an upgrade that the difference will blow me away with the current speakers or I am probably not going to realize much gain without upgrading the speakers as well (which I'm open to of course...).

The 2000x is one of Sansui's better efforts and well suited for jazz and blues. If anything, the SX-950 may be a step backwards. The SX-xx50 line was tuned for the ultra-bright HPM speaker so when paired with more neutral sounding speakers, the SX sounds dull and lifeless. IMO and IME.

The SX-950 is a real nice receiver and if reasonably priced is a great upgrade. You can always find speakers if you don't think yours are sufficient, but SX-950 are hard to find

The 2000x is one of Sansui's better efforts and well suited for jazz and blues. If anything, the SX-950 may be a step backwards. The SX-xx50 line was tuned for the ultra-bright HPM speaker so when paired with more neutral sounding speakers, the SX sounds dull and lifeless. IMO and IME.

Think I'll stick with the Sansui then, thanks for the insight.

If your Sansui is in good operating order, I'd stick with it. The Pioneer is not a "bad" unit, but it is not going to sound the same/better than the Sansui, and if it has not been serviced, is likely going to need some love (aka, more money).

I like my 950, and I would not consider it dull or lifeless with older speakers.
So I disagree somewhat with Sam's comment.
I use my SX-950 with Realistic Optimus 5Bs and I am well satisfied with it.
If both receivers are in equally good shape, you can likely set the tone controls of one as you like it, and then set the tone controls of the other, such that the two sound the same to your ear.

The only reason I can see to upgrade is to get the extra power extra max. power of the 950.
If you do not crank the volume up on the 2000 much, then there may not be much to gain sound-wise.

The SX-950 is a pretty thing, though.

Any way you could afford to buy it as a back up? I was thankful to have my SX-850 to use when my sansui had some (self inflicted) issues and was in the shop for 2 months.

Yup, pretty settled on sticking with my 2000x now. So if anyone is interested in a well maintained SX-950 @ $450, happy to buy locally and ship.
Your a newby Welcome aboard.. Your also advertising..Kind of frowned upon in this forum.

Any way you could afford to buy it as a back up? I was thankful to have my SX-850 to use when my sansui had some (self inflicted) issues and was in the shop for 2 months.

I have a an SA-5160 as my backup. I can afford it, just a matter of practicality. If the 950 was going to be a big upgrade, the price seems so low vs what I've seen that I thought it was a no brainer - the gents here have corrected my assumption that the 950 was the superior listening experience.

Last edited:
I had them both at the same time. The 2000x had more color. The 950 had more power. I liked the 950 a lot better. Sold both and kept a 5000A.
Thanks for the offer to hook use up with the 950.

I have a restored 2000X and a SX-880. Need'm both. Different flavors I cannot live without.

I found my 950 much more laid back than the above posts may impress upon a reader. It was very musical and I really enjoyed it. It didn't hold its power back, dug low, and played clean all the way down. Then again, I had rebuilt much of it with new components. It ultimately couldn't compete with my McIntosh separates but, even as a small 'big block' Pioneer its 85wpc were definitely all there. I loved it with my KEF 104/2 and JBL L250. I would have thought the SX-727 / 828 would be more of a direct competitor to the Sansui 2000x around 40wpc? But I cannot compare them directly as I have no experience with the Sansui.

Back
Top Bottom