What Artist passing affected you the most

Howlin' Wolf. He was a family friend, a (sorta) neighbour, and a lifelong inspiration for a young geetarist who wanted to grow up the be a Bluesman. Muddy Waters was a close second. Attended both memorials and have visited their graves many times.

The 3 that hit me the hardest were, Lennon, SRV and Bowie. I was sad to see Johnny Winter go, but he had had a good run. It made me think of Muddy Waters.

David Bowie

I’ve always loved his music, but he was bigger than just music. He made Blackstar as a goodbye album; he knew he was dying. I just can’t fathom that. It’s hard to watch the last seconds of the Lazarus video. Maybe more than anything, he reaches back to my childhood, to the escapism offered in Labyrinth. There was Bowie, a music icon, singing on stage with muppets. He reinvented himself more than any artist. I paid a scalper $79 to see him at the Nassau Coliseum; that was a fortune for a teenager back then.

A close second is Lou Reed. His lyrics on Magic and Loss will always have special meaning to me. "There's a bit of magic in everything. And then some loss to even things out."

No way did his passing affect me the most.... nowhere close, really, but AC/DC really took a dump after Bon Scott died.

Unfortunately, I discovered Chris Jones' music after his death. But when I did some googling and found out he was deceased, I was really bummed.

In the context of the OP question (versus the loss of a favorite artist), for me it was the loss of Whitney Houston. I've always been more into acoustics, but her singing of the "Star Spangled Banner" at Super Bowl XXV completely overwhelmed me to tears.
I have yet to be moved by the performance of a single song as I was that day.

Howlin' Wolf. He was a family friend, a (sorta) neighbour, and a lifelong inspiration for a young geetarist who wanted to grow up the be a Bluesman. Muddy Waters was a close second. Attended both memorials and have visited their graves many times.

You knew Howlin Wolf? That's a post that needs some elaboration.

I have most all his LP's. his "Nillson Schmillson" is what I listen to most.. I have owned 6 LP's and the CD. I even have a European version. For me, "Jump into the Fire" is my all time favorite tune. I've used it as a test of bass detail with the bass and drums showing how well a speaker can reproduce it.

I've always like Nilsson, but it seems just lately that I've taken a more serious interest in him. I only have Nilsson Schmilsson and Son of Schmilsson, and I gottta say both are darn good. Well, Schmilsson is outstanding, and Jump Into the Fire is quickly making its way up my list.

Have you seen the movie Son of Dracula? Check out this truncated version of Jump Into the Fire. Maybe even more importantly, check out who's onstage with him!!

Right On. Long Live Frank's music !

If Dweezil comes by on one of his Zappa Plays Zappa tours, go check him out. I caught him a few years ago when he was doing a tour in which he played the entirety of the Roxy and Elsewhere LP (one of my faves), and he was pretty dang amazing!!

Another vote for Bowie. Gotta say, I wasn't a die hard fan till his last hurrah on Blackstar. That was both eerie and moving simultaneously ... one helluva final bow.

Oh. And Beethoven ... taken too soon!

(and let's not forget Og ... secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!)

20130519-211705.jpg

I remember her murder as quite a shock, so completely unexpected.

Yeah that was rough weekend. I wasn't a super fan but I'd followed her on youtube for a number of years, the Kurt Hugo Schneider crew of kids always put out entertaining covers of pop songs that were quite enjoyable. I went and listened to the first video of hers I'd ever seen and majorly teared up. That same Saturday I'd found out one of my favorite college professors had lost his battle with cancer, and then on Sunday the Pulse nightclub shooting happened. A lot of sadness all at once.

Back
Top Bottom