Mysterious 60 hz hum.... Another "Doh!" moment.

Beemerdoc

Grumpy Old Fart
So, it has been a while since I fired up the Luxman stack. I put some good old Al Stewart on the table, and was thoroughly enjoying the tunes. In between the cuts on the record, I kept hearing this annoying hum. It seemed to go away when the music was playing. When the record finished side 1, I decided to track this down, as Luxman equipment just doesn't do that. Ever.

I started shutting things down; first the turntable, then the preamp, and finally the 3 amps. The hum persisted..

Following my tired, old ears led me to the source of the hum........

The Man cave refrigerator was trying to keep the beer cold. It was doing a very good job, so i took one out so as to lessen the load.

It got to temperature and shut off. All was well in the man cave again, plus the added benefit of getting my thirst quenched was a befitting reward to my search and destroy mission.

:oops: :rflmao:

I seem to recall an old quote, something about: "in wine there is wisdom....?" The rest of it escapes me at teh moment.
It looks like, in this case, in beer there was an answer!

I had the exact same thing happen to me! My hum source turned out to be the power brick to my old router buzzing quietly in it's plastic case. That was annoying.

The last one I had was even worse. On a certain note my right speaker would buzz. It sounded like it was my mid-range experiencing coil rub because it was only on certain notes which happened to be in the mid range. I kept playing the same part of the same song over and over to try and track it down. Turned out one of the collars on my binding posts had loosened up and was creating the noise. Much cheaper fix than a new Kevlar mid range.

I've had similar things in speakers which turned out to be either panel joins that needed more epoxy (Mirage) and wires touching baffle panels (Infinity) plus several that were speaker terminal to cone wires that were poorly soldered. Even a few where the actual dustcap made noises and needed re-gluing.

And yes, many times I've searched the room trying to track down some annoying noise at a resonant frequency that turned out to be a window frame or ornament in a cabinet. :)

Back
Top Bottom