Current Stackable Turntables with MP3 outputs?

There are a few audio editing programs out there that claim to automatically split the audio into tracks/files. I don't remember which ones they are and have no idea how well they work, though.

I have one word for you, streaming.
Unfortunately, there's a LOT of music out there that isn't available through any of the streaming services and probably never will be. It's fairly often that I look for something on Spotify and it just isn't there. Most of it is music released on major labels that I wouldn't even consider that rare.:dunno:

The quality varies, but Youtube is a good resource for music that nobody else has.

Still though, when it comes to hearing certain music, it's either records (or other physical media) or nothing.

No changers have been manufactured in many years, roughly some time in the 1980's. And the best changers ended in 1973 or so, look for something proper like a nice Dual or ELAC/Miracord and expect to spend money on overhauling it. Get a phono stage with USB out to go with it. And also expect 45 RPM changer spindles to not be cheap.

Last edited:
No changers have been manufactured in many years, roughly some time in the 1980's. And the best changers ended in 1973 or so, look for something proper like a nice Dual or ELAC/Miracord and expect to spend money on overhauling it. Get a phono stage with USB out to go with it. And also expect 45 RPM changer spindles to not be cheap.
The Crosley "Stack-O-Matic" shown in my above post is no longer in production, but was as of a few years ago. It's one of the few, if not the only, models of record changer to be produced during the 21st century. It's basically a rip-off of a vintage BSR design, albeit using belt drive rather than an idler wheel, and probably more plastic parts as well. Not up to the quality levels of the best changers from the '70s, but it does what is asked of it, and counts as a modern record changer.
-Adam

Agree on the Dual or Elac. Better Garrards aren't completely out of the question either, but all of these machines are old and will need some service in order to be reliable. Not sure where you are located but if you're somewhere in the general area I'd be willing to loan you one of mine for this task.

Changers are an odd thing, people will either give them to you or they want an arm and a leg. The ones I've gotten for nearly nothing have been good ones, but I see the plastic fantastic ones from the late 70s listed for $$.

I'll just give some ideas on how what the OP wants to do can be done with parts that exist.

A record stacker is obviously needed.
Record stackers have more mechanical parts in their mechanisms compared to full automatic players and they have not been made for several decades, so careful selection must be made to choose a player that can be reliable. Especially since the OP doesn't want to be monitoring the recording process (and crucially the "drop-next-lp-step").
Duals are a good choice but the stacker spindle is a sensitive component and I've seen a couple of those with defects or broken arms that render them inoperative. I can offer the Technics brand as an option. Several players, mostly model numbers ending in 50, such as SL1350, 1950.
The changer will most likely need a good service, lubing and adjustment prior to it being used.
The TT will need a cartridge was well. Many TTs come with a cart in decent condition.

A preamplifier or integrated amplifier with phono input
This is where the TT will be connected. I would say that even an integrated of low power (2x20W) of '80s vintage would be good enough.

A PC
This will be the recorder. There are several free software out there that allow recordings of long sessions. My preference would be Cool Edit or Audacity (because I'm a windows user and I like these two s/w). I would set the s/w to record for 30min times the number of LPs on the stack. So for 5 LPs, I would set it to stop recording at 150 minutes.
That would give a long wav of the 5 LPs for Side A.
Repeat the process and you have another long wav of Side B.

Quality is a user preference here. Depending on the sound card abilities (my onboard soundcard on my motherboard exceeds many dedicated USB devices in capabilities, performance and specs) one can choose to record at CD quality (16/44) of even higher. I would choose 24/96, because it would allow for a better source material to take through denoising.

Spiting the long WAVs to single Side wavs is easy. It can be accomplished within any sound editing s/w. And can be done while another batch is recording or days later (provided one keeps good records of contents).

De noising is something I would do. "ClickRepair" is my favorite piece of s/w and one of the top 5 "utilities" of all time in my book. It's fast and non-intrusive. Makes cleaning the LPs almost optional. The latest versions of Click repair also offer a real time declicking feature and with careful setup of inputs on the PC, one can record the output of the declicked audio so do cleaning in real time.

Conversion to MP3 is easy for someone with experience in PC/Mac s/w. Plenty of tools to do that. I like Easy CD-DA Extractor as it combines ripping with conversion between various formats.

... and I could not resist to add a link to a video showing the coolest changer for the task:

... and I could not resist to add a link to a video showing the coolest changer for the task:

That is cool. Probably a mechanical nightmare inside, and looks to be about as clumsy as me with a manual TT after a half bottle of bourbon--just dropping the records off to the side. :eek:

That is cool. Probably a mechanical nightmare inside, and looks to be about as clumsy as me with a manual TT after a half bottle of bourbon--just dropping the records off to the side. :eek:
Actually, that Thorens is far smarter than you might think. The yoke where the incoming stack is placed has a second spindle underneath where records that have already been played are placed after they finish playing. There were record changers in the early days which literally tossed records into a bin when they were done playing:
Guessing RCA wanted to sell more records.......... :rolleyes:

As far as record changer complexity goes, Thorens was only a drop in the bucket (fortunately, not literally). There were far more complicated record changers out there, some of which (unlike the Thorens) could play both sides of a record without having to manually flip it over. Here are a few examples:
Note how the last two changers drop the records into a bin when they're done playing.......... :eek:

So is the OP not wanting to edit on a computer? Seems simple enough to record in Audicity, divide the tracks and export the files as WAV or MP3 and put onto whatever storage media is desired.

Dual and Elac changers are great, I have a couple of each, but cheap they aren't. The tables themselves can be gotten cheap if not working, restored they cost a bit. The 45 auto stack spindle is never there and will cost another $100 or so.
My recommendation is to get a BSR professional series like the 510, 610 or the Realistic branded equivalents. They are cheap/free, decent quality, magnetic cart equipped, they almost always can be fixed, the stack reliably, and the 45 stacking adapter is readily available for $10.

and if one or more of these records have places that stick like a "broken record" ?
That's one problem with leaving a playing record unattended, and a changer won't help.

I have seen records that the grooves leading up to the spot where it repeated were actually gray and deeply gouged into the vinyl.:eek:

That changer in good order is also the most gentle, the only changer based on a proper professional turntable, the only one which plays records at the correct tracking angle, and when new was the most expensive turntable money could buy. A $500 investment in 1962 sans cartridge. The Thorens TD 124 by itself was $100 sans arm or cartridge, a good tonearm was around $35-$70 and cartridge got you close to or just over $200, or what a high end changer sold for not to be a Thorens TDW 224, which is what is pictured there.

I don't think the OP has a clue as to what turntables/records are all about. Contrary to the common myth today among melinials turntables/record fidelity can still at least match if not better just about most digital source music and with good condition records that have been cleaned will be free of clicks/pops and other distracting noise. Most of my records in good shape that have been cleaned play as silent as any CD. The pros and semi pros that digitalize records use manual turntables such as the Technics SP-15 and the results are excellent, you put garbage in you get garbage out.
My chat speak is not quite 'up-to-speed', but I am guessing that OP means Original Poster. If that is the case I'd request you consider not making this personal. Your judgement of me is unfounded. And quite misses the point of why I want to record my records in the first place. It is those clicks and pops that many people find endearing when playing a record. And while it may take awhile, eventually those records you are playing will display those same qualities. So please keep the posts to the point and civil. Thanks.

Mine don't display those qualities either or do very little in thousands of playings if not even more playings. Why, they're carefully picked by hand and quality control is practiced, they're played on well maintained, well adjusted equipment, and cartridges which cause minimum record wear with styli microscope inspected, and replaced as necessary. majick47 is not talking down to you. When you want to or need to sell your record collection, the better the condition your collection is in, the better resale value you get. Good records are an investment. A good quality, well maintained changer is gentle on records, but budget for maintenance and servicing that changer every 5 years of average home use. A good ELAC/Miracord or Dual won't be rough on your investment in good adjustment and with a good medium priced cartridge with good styli. He explained that well cared for records can be almost CD quiet, and last many, many years that way done right.

This is an interesting read. Have the toys to do this. Never going to do all 1500 records here. Just a few to play in the 2011 Subaru that no long has a cassette deck. I have several Duals and a Garrard for the turntable. Got a NAD preamp off EBay for half price $100,USB output, have $100 in the Garrard Zero 100 and a free MacBook from the Mrs. it’s older and has a disc drive built in. As you can see, the OP’s budget is tough. Now all I need is time to put above together and figure out how to make it work. Or make a cassette and use a Walkman hook to the Subbie’s Aux input. Used to have a 45 spindle for my 1010S Dual. Gave it away along with a stacker for LPs. Wasn’t using either and gave to an AKer wanting to stack. I never do and sent some Karma down the road. OP good luck!

Yes, good luck to our OP, and we're also here to help you along. And a good preamp with USB output, expands your choices considerably.

Last edited:
Your judgement of me is unfounded. And quite misses the point of why I want to record my records in the first place. It is those clicks and pops that many people find endearing when playing a record.

And while it may take awhile, eventually those records you are playing will display those same qualities.

So please keep the posts to the point and civil. Thanks.

You actually want to intentionally hear and record the ticks and pops ? :confused: :eek: :idea:

Many of the member here do not have that strange desire. :no:

Back
Top Bottom