Real question on why use a tuner.

vintage 5.0

vintage 5.0
Subscriber
I have had many tuners over the years. My question is now with the computer and good dacs why use a tuner. Most stations around the world can be streamed. I am really curious why the tuner would be better. I have used tuners so am not against them. Just curious why the stream would not be better. I am right now listening to my favorite local station playing the top 500 songs on the Holiday weekend. I am playing from the computer through my Burson dac headphone amp and it is pretty great.

Now that makes sense. I do get that part of it. That is why I like the vinyl it sounds great but man takes you back. I do get that reason.

02630.JPG
Pretty lights..My first tuner Yamaha T-1. Purchased at the mini-BX at Bitburg AB, in Germany. It was West Germany then.:rolleyes: 1980-82.

Last edited:
Believe it or not, there are still some stations that don't stream over the internet. :eek:

Of course, one of the stations that I like doesn't, and it is just far enough away that it can be hard to receive.

I agree with the lights also looking great. I had the Sansui TU 999 and it looked great. My son actually took one and made it into a media server so we can watch net flicks on it.

The one he made into a server was one I had that was from I think Japan and had their stations on it. I used it as a parts unit. It makes a cool media server.

I had no idea that the FM was that good of quality. Maybe because most of my FM listening has been in my vehicles and the systems in them are okay but not great.

32A8D05D-8EAB-4AC7-AE4F-ADCAF99A52B5.jpeg

Once my 500B is powered up the radio is ready to go. No messing with apps and DACs. With that said I do stream a lot.

That Accuphase tuner looks really nice. I did not even know about it. Looks like a really well built piece of equipment. Okay this thread was to make me be happy not having a tuner. Now seeing all the cool ones is making me want one. LOL

I have had many tuners over the years. My question is now with the computer and good dacs why use a tuner. Most stations around the world can be streamed. I am really curious why the tuner would be better. I have used tuners so am not against them. Just curious why the stream would not be better. I am right now listening to my favorite local station playing the top 500 songs on the Holiday weekend. I am playing from the computer through my Burson dac headphone amp and it is pretty great.

Just don't want to make room for a computer in the listening room. Too distracting. But I'm highly distractable. Ooh! A shiny thing!

Back
Top Bottom