Really enjoying my "new" BIC 960, thanks to AK'ers

beatcomber

AK Member
Back in the summer of 1977, when I was 13, my parents agreed to finance the purchase of my first "good" stereo. My older brother took me to a hifi store and I walked out with a Pioneer SX-450 receiver, a pair of Pioneer speakers (not sure which ones now), a Teac A170S top-loading cassette deck, and a BIC 960 turntable, and I used these components well into the '80s.

The BIC went on the fritz sometime around '83, so I replaced it with a nice Technics direct drive (it might have been an SL-1600MK2), which seemed very rugged and "serious" at the time - not surprising considering how relatively lightweight the BIC was. Anyway, I've always had a warm place in my heart for BICs and I have lots of happy memories associated with the one I had 40 years ago.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, local AKer @rmoreau61 recently offered me a rebuilt, clean 960 at a price I could not resist. Ray was unaware of it, but the cork friction pad that the arm brake pin comes into contact with while cueing had come loose, causing the arm to glide horizontally while descending.

With kind assistance from resident BIC expert @Doug G. I was able to troubleshoot the issue, and found the cork pad loose inside the mechanism. After making some minor adjustments to the interaction between the brake pin and cue lever, it works as it's supposed to. Doug also hipped me to an easy way to replenish the cueing fluid that he discovered, which doesn't require taking it apart. Using a toothpick, I coated the sides of the lift pin with 500k silicone, and within a day or so it had drizzed down into the chamber, so now the arm drops very gently.

The BIC still had its stacking spindle - which works just fine - but I really wanted a single-play spindle. A casual mention about this on another thread led to a PM from @KRab , offering to send me gratis a single-play BIC spindle. Not only did he brush aside my offer of reimbursement ("it only has value to someone who needs it"), but he also packed it with extraordinary meticulousness. :bowdown:

So, ladies and germs, let me present to you my "new" 1976 BIC 960...

6b0prIZ.jpg

wrzpZWn.jpg

TkhNtAR.jpg

BICs are largely overlooked on the vintage market, probably because they're lightweight and maybe feel kind of cheap, and folks also tend to dismiss record changers. And then there's that needle-destroying mat! My expectations were reserved; it was primarily a nostalgia piece for me.

I replaced the wimpy OEM interconnects with a pair of 1m Audioquest Evergreens, and installed a Shure M91ED with "good" EVG stylus, and it sounds quite good! The first thing I noticed was how quiet backgrounds are, it has no audible rumble. Secondly, for such a "cheap" turntable, it has better-than average bass weight, dynamics, and rhythmic thrust; it's almost idler-like in that respect. This was a real surprise.

Imaging seem good, although it's probably limited by the cartridge and stylus. Using my Amazon points, I just ordered for a few peanuts a brand new Grado Black2; the positive reviews by @needlestein , @Lorenzo47 and others have gotten me very curious about it, especially since some feel that it signals a return to the attributes that I love about my vintage Grado Signature models.

So, where will this BIC fit into my system? Space in my small hifi room is at a premium, so I still need to think about that some, but I could see the BIC serving a few practical purposes:

• Using a table with a $50 stylus makes sense when auditioning thrift store records.
• It makes sense to have something to use for non-critical background listening, to preserve the more pricey stylus on my AR.
• The BIC, being fully-automatic, is the safer option when I'm "getting loose" on Friday or Saturday nights.

Many thanks to the above AKers for all of your help and generosity!

Last edited:
Back in the summer of 1977, when I was 13, my parents agreed to finance the purchase of my first "good" stereo. My older brother took me to a hifi store and I walked out with a Pioneer SX-450 receiver, a pair of Pioneer speakers (not sure which ones now), a Teac A170S top-loading cassette deck, and a BIC 960 turntable, and I used these components well into the '80s.

The BIC went on the fritz sometime around '83, so I replaced it with a nice Technics direct drive (it might have been an SL-1600MK2), which seemed very rugged and "serious" at the time - not surprising considering how relatively lightweight the BIC was. Anyway, I've always had a warm place in my heart for BICs and I have lots of happy memories associated with the one I had 40 years ago.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, local AKer @rmoreau61 recently offered me a rebuilt, clean 960 at a price I could not resist. Ray was unaware of it, but the cork friction pad that the arm brake pin comes into contact with while cueing had come loose, causing the arm to glide horizontally while descending.

With kind assistance from resident BIC expert @Doug G. I was able to troubleshoot the issue, and found the cork pad loose inside the mechanism. After making some minor adjustments to the interaction between the brake pin and cue lever, it works as it's supposed to. Doug also hipped me to an easy way to replenish the cueing fluid that he discovered, which doesn't require taking it apart. Using a toothpick, I coated the sides of the lift pin with 500k silicone, and within a day or so it had drizzed down into the chamber, so now the arm drops very gently.

The BIC still had its stacking spindle - which works just fine - but I really wanted a single-play spindle. A casual mention about this on another thread led to a PM from @KRab , offering to send me gratis a single-play BIC spindle. Not only did he brush aside my offer of reimbursement ("it only has value to someone who needs it"), but he also packed it with extraordinary meticulousness. :bowdown:

So, ladies and germs, let me present to you my "new" 1976 BIC 960...

6b0prIZ.jpg

wrzpZWn.jpg

TkhNtAR.jpg

BICs are largely overlooked on the vintage market, probably because they're lightweight and maybe feel kind of cheap, and folks also tend to dismiss record changers. And then there's that needle-destroying mat! My expectations were reserved; it was primarily a nostalgia piece for me.

I replaced the wimpy OEM interconnects with a pair of 1m Audioquest Evergreens, and installed a Shure M91ED with "good" EVG stylus, and it sounds quite good! The first thing I noticed was how quiet backgrounds are, it has no audible rumble. Secondly, for such a "cheap" turntable, it has better-than average bass weight, dynamics, and rhythmic thrust; it's almost idler-like in that respect. This was a real surprise.

Imaging seem good, although it's probably limited by the cartridge and stylus. Using my Amazon points, I just ordered for a few peanuts a brand new Grado Black2; the positive reviews by @needlestein , @Lorenzo47 and others have gotten me very curious about it, especially since some feel that it signals a return to the attributes that I love about my vintage Grado Signature models.

So, where will this BIC fit into my system? Space in my small hifi room is at a premium, so I still need to think about that some, but I could see the BIC serving a few practical purposes:

• Using a table with a $50 stylus makes sense when auditioning thrift store records.
• It makes sense to have something to use for non-critical background listening, to preserve the more pricey stylus on my AR.
• The BIC, being fully-automatic, is the safer option when I'm "getting loose" on Friday or Saturday nights.

Many thanks to the above AKers for all of your help and generosity!

Nice story beatcomber - I can certainly relate to what you're saying. I'm still using the same vintage speakers and turntable;e that I used in 1969! Kind of makes me comfortable being around old friends. By the way, I'll be surprised if you don't like the Black2. Give it at least 50 hours to break in properly. For $75 I find it hard to beat. Especially if you already like the Grado sound.

Very cool turntable journey! That model was my first good automatic turntable too, it replaced my dads old hand-me-down Garrard 50 mkII changer (which I was really glad to have at the time). I discovered some great albums on that BIC, it saw many hours of use and never gave me any trouble. Sometimes I used the stacker spindle but most of the time I used it as a single play unit.

Mine had a really nice Ortofon cartridge on it that I saved up for but the stylus fell apart when it was still new. The Ortofon dealer refused to honor the warranty so I went elsewhere and got a great deal on a new Shure M95ED which stayed on there till the motor died years later. I still have that cart and the genuine Shure replacement stylus and I still have (and use) the Discwasher pad and brush that I used with that table.

There was no way to get parts for the ailing BIC when the motor went bad (waaay before internet) so I had to let ‘er go. It got replaced by one of many AR turntables which you could pick up back then for $25 bucks in good condition (those were the days!) Always loved the looks and functionality of that BIC.

Last edited:
I'm still using the same vintage speakers and turntable;e that I used in 1969! Kind of makes me comfortable being around old friends.

When you have an AR table and AR3a's, you're pretty much set for life!

By the way, I'll be surprised if you don't like the Black2. Give it at least 50 hours to break in properly. For $75 I find it hard to beat. Especially if you already like the Grado sound.

I fully expect to dig it, especially in light of the favorable comparisons with the old Signature models. I have here an 8M, 8MR and MCZ, and those are wonderful carts. If the new Prestige2 series recaptures some of their attributes, particularly the deeeep, layered soundstage, then that is a very exciting development indeed.

Mine had a really nice Ortofon cartridge on it that I saved up for but the stylus fell apart when it was still new. The Ortofon dealer refused to honor the warranty so I went elsewhere and got a great deal on a new Shure M95ED which stayed on there till the motor died years later. I still have that cart and the genuine Shure replacement stylus and I still have (and use) the Discwasher pad and brush that I used with that table.

I wish I knew what I used back in the day for a cart. My guess is it was a Shure M91ED, since that was the budget standard, but I can't remember at all.

It got replaced by one of many AR turntables which you could pick up back then for $25 bucks in good condition (those were the days!)

Did I overpay when I bought my AR for $45? :D

Beatcomber - $45 is good. I think I paid $77 for mine new in 69 without cartridge. I fitted some Shure, perhaps a M44 then went to a V15 Type II then eventually to a Type IV (which I still have).

Great story & snag BC - Congrats :beerchug:

I could see the BIC serving a few practical purposes:

• The BIC, being fully-automatic, is the safer option when I'm "getting loose" on Friday or Saturday nights

That's the exact same reasons why I run a pair of Duals alongside the Linn :bigok:

Have fun! :thumbsup:

I love vintage changers. They sound a hell of a lot better than most folks realize, they're often cheap or even free since there's this idea that the changer mechanism screws up the sound somehow.
Couple of months ago, a friend of mine gave me a Dual 1209 that had been sitting in his attic for at least 20 years. I got it working again, put a decent cartridge it it, and it's now my No. 1 turntable.
Enjoy your BIC.

Thank you for your trip down memo memory lane Beat :) We are roughly the same age as I was 13 in 1977 as well. My trip had a bit of a rougher start but that Panasonic All- in - One opened doors that have never closed to this day. Sadly, I came across speakers that were the same model that came with my Panasonic, the powerful Thrusters by Panasonic.......I passed of course. I prefer your story to mine ;) Enjoy that time machine

Beatcomber - $45 is good. I think I paid $77 for mine new in 69 without cartridge. I fitted some Shure, perhaps a M44 then went to a V15 Type II then eventually to a Type IV (which I still have).

Ha, purchased mine for $15 about three decades ago at a garage sale, it needed a cartridge and a new belt, the wood bodied Grado Platinum was a match made in heaven. My son now has the table with my NOS Pickering XV -15 1200E/D1200 mounted.

My sister had one of those BIC's back in the 1975 time frame. It was the first "serious" turntable that we had in our house, and IIRC it sounded pretty darn good.

The Grado Black2 I ordered is due to land tomorrow. I'm excited to see if it lives up to all of the fuss, and to see how well it works on the BIC.

Great story & snag BC - Congrats :beerchug:

That's the exact same reasons why I run a pair of Duals alongside the Linn :bigok:

Have fun! :thumbsup:

Dave - As an Englishman, you might find it interesting to know that BIC stands for British Industries Company - yet they were made in the USA. BIC started out as an importer of British hifi products (Garrard, etc.) before developing and launching their own product line in the '70s.

Supposedly there is some connection between BIC turntables and The Voice of Music (who made a gazillion record changers for consoles and portables) - I believe VM engineers worked on the BIC design - but VM did not do the manufacturing.

aa_sun_19760325_p025-001.jpg
aa_sun_19760325_p026-001.jpg

Last edited:
I always enjoy reading your endeavors @beatcomber , I thought the Dual 1019 was your choice for a changer? I am going to pull my 1019 out soon for a change of pace.

I have a BIC 960 over here too. I like it, sounds good and works well as a changer. I love changers because the grease dries up and they don't work. For people that can fix them they are cheap or free, what's not to like? :)

Dave - As an Englishman, you might find it interesting to know that BIC stands for British Industries Company - yet they were made in the USA. BIC started out as an importer of British hifi products (Garrard, etc.) before developing and launching their own product line in the '70s.

Supposedly there is some connection between BIC turntables and The Voice of Music (who made a gazillion record changers for consoles and portables) - I believe VM engineers worked on the BIC design - but VM did not do the manufacturing.

aa_sun_19760325_p025-001.jpg
aa_sun_19760325_p026-001.jpg

Thanks for the insight BC :thumbsup:

Other than an awareness of the brand name, BIC are pretty much unknown to me and probably to most over the pond

Note the error in the ad above, transposing the locations of the 980 and 960 in the ad. And, actually, BIC did export the tables with some being wired for 220 volts and pulleys available for 60 or 50 Hertz. How common they were in Europe, I don't know but I know some guys from over there with them.

I'm glad you got your 960 fully functional, BC.

Doug

I have a 960 here as well (not in use at the moment) and I too needed the single spindle. I took one off a DOA Tech 1350 and it sat well enough to use.

This and the PL A 25 both have enough plastic bits to make one easily underestimate their ability to produce sound. The PL of course housed better and heavier but the BIC despite all its shortcomings sounded fine when I used it. Like OP it is hard to find room sometimes when it involves displacing others. My 960 came with a stock (house branded) M91 that seller said was original. Happily mine came with a small pile of LPs that included a couple gems. All in extra fine shape despite years of playing on that 960. another testament to how the 960 is a fine TT doing no damage.

Sorry to bump an old thread but newbie here.....

What is the plastic disc that resides under the mat called? Picked up a 960 but that disc is all crumpled and distorted. Wondering what I can make one out of?

Back
Top Bottom