For those with multiple systems: How do you listen to them?

Dave B.

I'm already anticipating the response: "One at a time." :rolleyes: Now that we have that out of the way ...

I have multiple systems combinations and find that I gravitate frequently to just a few combos and then feel guilty about not listening frequently enough to the others. How do you handle that?

Do you let your mood dictate which system you turn on? Do you use certain systems for specific kinds of music -- rock, classical, acoustic, etc.? Does the presence or absence of your wife or neighbors lead you to a specific system?

Maybe we should have only one system. Then we wouldn't have this "problem," if it really is a problem.

Enlighten me, please. Thanks.

Dave

I have one good (IMO) system. That's all I need. The one in my bedroom is mostly for watching TV while in bed.

then feel guilty about not listening frequently enough to the others. How do you handle that?
No gulit
I use a remote control and switch anytime I want.

Do you let your mood dictate which system you turn on? Do you use certain systems for specific kinds of music -- rock, classical, acoustic, etc.?
Yes

Does the presence or absence of your wife or neighbors lead you to a specific system?
a...no

Multiple rigs. Main, garage, living/dining room, bedroom. Each one is tailored for its location.
I do "play around" with other gear occasionally, for fun. Right now listening to a Marantz 1250 that is just sitting on the floor, just because it's too nice to totally ignore.

I tell myself that I'm still in the experimentation/audition phase of looking for my ONE perfect system. I've never done the math to figure out how many possible configurations I'll have to do, but with 7 sets of speakers, 6 amps, 3 integrated amps, 5 preamps,5 phono stages, 11 turntables...well, you get the idea, it's going to be a while.
I'll go several weeks with one setup, and then sometimes change 3 or 4 times in a day.

Three setups, well maybe four.

Purt much the wife determines which system I use. Weekends I use my main as it is in the living area.
Cave system most week days.
Garage system in warmer weather (doors open) or party time!
Main and cave are fixed with a secondary table in rotation on the main and garage systems.
Garage has two different gear set ups based on whether it's a party situation or not.
Also have vinyl pressings somewhat dedicated to each system.....I have issues!!!o_O

Upstairs FM in the morning on weekends. Rest of the time main system downstairs.

Signature system for mostly tv and movies, except when the wife is out, then my main system to listen to. Basement system when things are hectic and I just need to get away. Basement has a Marantz 2275, Marc Morin modded AR XA, Snell Type C’s, and a Sony CD player/recorder with over 100DB dynamic range. Sounds great.

Five systems. Which ones I listen to depends on which room I am in. Consequently, the ones in my bedroom and man cave get more use than the ones in the living room, my office, or my wife's office room. I have more components, and they tend to get swapped in and out of a couple of systems from time to time, but I don't get feelings of guilt from not using a piece of equipment or a system as much as other components or systems. They are inanimate objects, and don't have feelings about being neglected.

I put the best system in the room that I think has the best sound treatment, that is my exercise room. My second best system is in the media room, no home theatre but has a projector screen of 100 inches. My third system is in the social hall of our highrise building, where it plays background music mostly. The fourth system is in the lobby of our building where it is playing classical almost 24/7, I want people to feel good when they walking in the building. Finally, my living room system where I play less and less because my parents don't want to listen to that often. I enjoy the best system the most and finds myself exercise more just to go to listen, good for my health I guess.

The one that suits my fancy at the time. That's usually the one I can't remember how to operate or what it sounds like.

Question?
I don't live in a big house 1400 sqf.
6-7 steps I'm in another room, bed rooms a bit more. I can hear my system all over the house, in fact if I want I can go across the street and listen to it in their house.

I have a integrated amp in one bedroom for a tv and computer sound. But this is not for critical listening and music entertainment.

This is what I don't get, is the chair more comfortable in the next room over to build another system for it? Why can't you just use one room in the house for a system. You could have multiple sound options out of it by using separates driving different power amp/speakers.

In fact if you put the cost of building 4 systems into one with multiple outputs, the one system could be built of better quality. When I'm in rooms off the main system because of doing other things, kitchen family room, watering the patio plants, I turn the volume up and can hear it just fine.

Question?
6-7 steps I'm in another room, bed rooms a bit more. I can hear my system all over the house, in fact if I want I can go across the street and listen to it in their house.

I have a integrated amp in one bedroom for a tv and computer sound. But this is not for critical listening and music entertainment.

This is what I don't get, is the chair more comfortable in the next room over to build another system for it? Why can't you just use one room in the house for a system. You could have multiple sound options out of it by using separates driving different power amp/speakers.

In fact if you put the cost of building 4 systems into one with multiple outputs, the one system could be built of better quality. When I'm in rooms off the main system because of doing other things, kitchen family room, watering the patio plants, I turn the volume up and can hear it just fine.

I can only answer for my situation, but my cave (secondary) system is trickle down from what was once main.
My garage is used/yard sale/estate finds.
My main system permeates most of the living area (and even outside), save bedrooms, cave and garage areas.
And those areas, with doors closed, only leak muffled sonics.
I find this system to work well in promoting cohabitational bliss!:D

Question?

I can certainly identify with the decorating just one room approach and not the entire house. If you can entertain the neighbors you can surely hear it though out your own home.
I don't know if I'm going to graduate to the one system arrangement though.

In my family room I have two systems.
The main one is for music.
It has a pre amp and amp hooked up to my main speakers.
The second one is for am/fm and tv with a receiver hooked up to another pair of speakers.

I have a receiver in my basement with speakers.
Also another receiver in my master bathroom for listening while in the shower.

Back
Top Bottom