Albums Revisited-What Was I Thinking?

Nope! Who the heck is that? He sounds weird!

hxQym3K.jpg

Remember Alex Harvey??? Sensational!

Is that a DL 110 on a SME 3009 series II Improved with fixed headshell?

I appreciate the spirit of this thread, but I never see myself removing the debut from VH or ANY of my Sabbath records.

Taste is non-negotiable, so I don't mean to offend, but those two bands are forever in rotation at this house.

To answer the OP's question, I don't see me spinning Napalm Death or Nuclear Assault ever again, tho I'll give Metal Church's "The Dark" a play any day of the week.

Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask. Used to love that album, but I smoked a bit back then. Can’t take too much of the Captain these days. Maybe I should start smoking again.

I don't think it will help. I've owned "Trout Mask Replica" for decades and still can't listen to it.

As for Van Halen, I bought that album when it was first released. I was 16 years old. I had moved on from them when I was in my early twenties. That being said, it is a pretty solid album.

-Dave

I don't think it will help. I've owned "Trout Mask Replica" for decades and still can't listen to it.

As for Van Halen, I bought that album when it was first released. I was 16 years old. I had moved on from them when I was in my early twenties. That being said, it is a pretty solid album.

-Dave

I have all kinds of prog rock and jazz, some of it is very complex and requires multiple listens but then becomes very rewarding.

I can’t listen to Trout Mask Replica either. I just loose interest quickly.

I appreciate the spirit of this thread, but I never see myself removing the debut from VH or ANY of my Sabbath records.

Taste is non-negotiable, so I don't mean to offend, but those two bands are forever in rotation at this house.

To answer the OP's question, I don't see me spinning Napalm Death or Nuclear Assault ever again, tho I'll give Metal Church's "The Dark" a play any day of the week.
Yeah. I'm not the biggest VH fan, but the debut is solid. Not the biggest fan of guitar that is 'noodly', but Eruption is just massive.
Any VH purchase regrets start with some of the Sammy material. Or whoever the other guy was.

Sabbath is timeless, IMO.

I might not play some of my older recordings much these days but when I do I think about good times (and bad) from the time. Even Disco, which I despised when it was the rage, I can listen to because of its nostalgic resonance. My wife and I will have a "Do you remember so-and-so?" or, "Did you have a whatever-the-heck?" Brings back many common but nearly forgotten memories to us both. That is except for ABBA. She tells me if I ever buy one of their albums I'll have to sleep in the tool shed. :dunno:

Gerard
I confess to being a closet ABBA fan. I liked their music, even back in my early 20s,. I still like most of their stuff, but their best song is the single "The Visitors." Not very ABBA-like. I can listen to that song once a day and never get tired of it (sort of like School of Fish's "Three Strange Days").

You know this thread is actually the opposite of how I'v grown over time. It wasn't what I listen to when I was young that I dislike today. Today it's more that I will listen to more stuff I wouldn't have when I was young.

As predominately a hard rocker when young it wouldn't be cool to listen to Carroll King, Simon and Garfunkel. When I was in HS we wouldn't listen to Queen, that was for dorks, Kiss sucked<Still IMHO> Yes wasn't that great either, going for the one, and round about but it was chick music.

Studs listen to AC/DC, Zep, Nugent, Aerosmith, Siknard stuff like that. Hell today I listen to lots of stuff, my sisters music, Disco and all sorts of fluffy goofy shit. I like the sound track of my life from 50s to today....Still can't stand rap though
Oh, I agree. I am tolerant of and can see the merit of a lot of things I despised when I was younger (like country), but I have always liked a smattering of almost everything. I think almost every band or singer has at least one decent to good song they have done. Even Van Halen, of which I like "Jump."

Oh, I agree. I am tolerant of and can see the merit of a lot of things I despised when I was younger (like country), but I have always liked a smattering of almost everything. I think almost every band or singer has at least one decent to good song they have done. Even Van Halen, of which I like "Jump."

Well........not so Carlos Santana's brother Jorge lol. Purchased his album still sealed on eBay thinking "how bad could it be, he's a Santana?", wow was I in for a surprise lol. Now I know why so many still sealed copies were available, too bad to because the cover had so much promise.

I was determined one day to actually sit through the whole album, but before the first song was half way through I was laughing so hard I had tears in my eyes. Not my first attempt, but this time I was determined, still couldn't do it lol.

R-3064492-1314049090.jpeg.jpg jorge-santana-a01ce3ab-157d-492a-b78d-0fe80957aee-resize-750 (1).jpeg

Last edited:
Well........not so Carlos Santana's brother Jorge lol. Purchased his album still sealed on eBay thinking "how bad could it be, he's a Santana?", wow was I in for a surprise lol. Now I know why so many still sealed copies were available, too bad to because the cover had so much promise.

View attachment 1198690
I buy some records just for....should we say cover art?;)

Latin record albums are some of the finest cover art around...:)

Nobody bought Ohio Players Honey for the music LOL

I buy some records just for....should we say cover art?;)

Latin record albums are some of the finest cover art around...:)

Nobody bought Ohio Players Honey for the music LOL
I have that one too lol, it was my brides before we married.

I saw the Reverend Horton Heat opening for Motorhead back in 2009.

The wife was a big fan, lol. No kidding, she actually liked it. I was pleasantly surprised.

Guitarist for Nashville Pussy asked me backstage if "I had brought any of that fine ass Ky weed with me" (show was in Charlotte, NC). I gently explained to Ruyter why I was unwilling to cross 2 state lines with contraband.

That was a good evening.

Sometime in the mid-‘60s, I bought a Herman’s Hermits LP. I must have been in high school. Why?

Back
Top Bottom