Rough TX-300

This is a little confusing . The connections to the selenium rectifier do not match the markings on it . There are 4 tabs 2 on the top row 2 on the bottom row . The AC is connected to 1 tab on the top row and 1 tab on the bottom row same with the DC. The marks on the rectifier case has both AC on the top row and both DC on bottom row .
20180522_153600.jpg 20180522_153717.jpg The insulated wires are from the transformer .

Transformer (white & blue) connect to the lugs indicated by the sine wave marks. Inputs to most bridge rectifiers are kittycorner from each other, same with the dc output. Shell ofcan body connects to neg.of bridge, lower lug close to side of chassis. Positive of bridge, (top lug, closest to can) goes to chassis ground, with a jumper to can positive. Look on back of bridge for more marks. BTW, flipping transformer leads on bridge won't change anything, as that's ac input to it.

Attachments

• 20180522_185943.jpg
    20180522_185943.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20180522_185926.jpg
    20180522_185926.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 12
  • 20180522_190507.jpg
    20180522_190507.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
The sine wave markings on the case suggest that they are both in same row ,not kittycorner. There is a molded small circle buy the + tab maybe that is all you need .

If you have a 12v AC source, connect it to the ~ connections, then connect your DC meter to the DC connections. one way will show a + voltage, and the other will show a - voltage. The + voltage orientation is the correct one for DC connections.

It does appear that your bridge may be marked wrong, though. I missed that at first, couldn't get your pic clear enough. Hard telling on mine, as it's still in-circuit & kinda buried..

Here we go , Power supply new diodes for SR1-SR4 new caps C10 ,C11 ,C13,C15 with nothing connected the voltages are -36vdc on EE, +34vdc on FF , +34vdc on GG , GG is high it should be +22vdc , will making its connection to the preamp bring it down to spec?
new bridge rectifier for SR5 selenium. I have -48vdc off the negative terminal of bridge . This voltage will need to be knocked down. I am going to complete on this power supply next . I have to install the transistors . As always I'm open to suggestions & directions

If you haven't got anything connected to the P.S., voltages will be higher. Best to connect it to the complete circuits and then take voltages, and compare them to the schematic. if within 10% max you're good. FISHER Spec'ed 15% voltage variance due to part tolerances in tube stuff, and I would expect at least 10% variance as normal in S.S. stuff.

I should knock the -48vdc of SR5. The schematic has -38vdc but that was selenium rectifier .

Point GG will have exactly the same voltage as FF with no load because there is no current (and no voltage drop) in R26 and R27. The phono preamp will draw approximately 1.5 mA per channel. 3 mA through a total of 4.4 k will drop 13.2 V.

I was going to test it (power up) in steps as I reassemble it . But maybe I should complete assembly and leave the output transistors out and test it .

I have Fairchild SE 4010 in my TX300 . Do you know the pin-out ? Looking from bottom with center pin on top thanks

Last edited:
Left to Right. E-B-C Should be in the manual for that board. Fisher was pretty good about detailing pinouts for the transistors.

They're the older round type transistor .I wasn't sure on how to hold it . The pins are in a triangle pattern and off centered .. I think I have it ,I had taken a picture of the board . I didn't see any pinouts in SM , I'll check it , thanks . lookin for a cap to used for the 0.5uf @ 70v

Last edited:
I'm ready to take a crack at wiring in the new trim pots . Will 24AWG be OK for the wiring ?

If you have 22awg go with that. 24 awg is a bit small when manipulating it, especially solid core. If not be very gentle with the 24awg.

Still moving forward with this I'm taking the re-wiring slow . I decided to go with the original bias layout but with new trimpots .My TX-300 has the two 22ohm resistors across the pot .

DSCN2879.JPG All most there . I notice that there is a mod to my amp boards . C212 & C215 changed to 0.5uf/70v a 10uf/35 cap added with + on 2G and neg to a add on terminal strip also some added resistors 8.2k ?.At the bottom of picture Do you have any service bulletins for this mod ?
>>>> What is a safe wattage for the 100ohm resistors replacing the output transistors ?
If it passes the DBT and I power up, first I have to check voltage off the new rectifier SR5 (SR5 was originally selenium rect.) Any thing else ? besides smoke .

Back
Top Bottom