Curb find: BPC Pioneer PL600

Patrice B

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Subject says it all: found last fall when neighbors were moving and throwing old stuff in garbage.

A new belt and to my surprise, with the original cart, it sounds darn good through my Sherwood S7700 III phono stage.

The cartridge is an Audio Technica OEM as I've found on the web. The TT is not pretty looking but it's my second "cheap looking" TT that sounds better than it looks. The other one is a JVC L-A10...

vuxzosz5vefekzntahy2.jpg
Not mine but found on Vinyl Engine:

pioneer_pl-600_belt_drive.jpg

There's nothing wrong with that TT.:thumbsup: It's as good as or better than what most people used.

It's surprising how good some cheap TTs sound. Out of curiostiy, I bought a cheapo BPC P-mount Fisher table that was originally part of a rack system. It weighed all of about 3 pounds.:D With a better cartridge, it sounded way better than I ever thought it would. Honestly, not too far off from my Technics.:eek:

Last edited:
Tracked a vinyl that my Sony PS-LX22 (with Shure V15/III) couldn't play... The AT3600 dance like crazy but stays on track, yay!

Someone has an idea on how to replace the silicon damping fluid for the cueing mechanism? The cart drops like a rock...

No service manual available on VinylEngine. I've checked under the hood and it looks like a spring loaded mechanism but no clue on how to remove and relube the thing!

Thanks,

Patrice

There's half a dozen low end BPC turn tables down at my local thrift - Aiwa, Optimus Lab, Pioneer, Sanyo etc. Might be fun to do a cheapo sound-off with them :)

There's half a dozen low end BPC turn tables down at my local thrift - Aiwa, Optimus Lab, Pioneer, Sanyo etc. Might be fun to do a cheapo sound-off with them :)
It's amazing how good a cheap TT like this plays vinyl just fine. In fact, with a conical stylus, there is less Rice Krispies! Less details too but anyway...

Last edited:
Last edited:
I have no experience in using the 100,000 wt. :idea:

Mostly 500,000wt. the heavy S tone arm example - Pioneer PL-550 direct drive.

Mostly 300,000 wt. for lighter straight metal or early "carbon fiber/plastic blend" type example - Pioneer PL-7, Luxman PD-277.
I'll try in the hobby shops I have around here in the Montréal area, thanks.

Well, I've bought Silicon Plumber Grease and put a lot under the hood on the spring: no go! I would have to dismantle the tonearm to remove the cueing mechanism... As it is my man's cave TT, I won't bother!

Back
Top Bottom