Wooden double case for AkaiM8 monoblocks

Raul

Years ago I bought an old Akai M8 r2R and made two mono SE amps from it, following some old thread here on the forum, the amps sound very nice even though not loud (but now they are connected to a pair of Dynaco A-10, not a very efficient speaker by the way).
A friend carpenter made a wooden box for them and today I finally put them inside, here they are, front and back:

cnFS2Do.jpg

a8MFXTI.jpg

I left the back open as there are no other openings for air circulation, I don't know if that's enough but when they were inside the original R2R case I don't think they were getting more air flowing than now.
What do you advise?

I dig it. Looks nice like that. I bought an M-8 a bunch of years ago to do that too. I haven’t gotten around to it yet. And I’m not sure if I should do it like you did, or do a new build with the trannies and such. Oh well, stays on the waiting list for now! Enjoy em, they make good music.

Luckily not many insects in my house. Anyway I could put a grid/mesh to close the back
Another nice addition could be a handle like in guitar amps on the upper side

I believe the Akai M8 had a fan on the back end of the motor to pull air through the front vents of the amplifiers and exhaust it out the rear of the tape deck section. That arrangement was probably responsible for the long life of the amplifiers.

Very nice Raul! I had a pair several years ago with a similar idea for casing as yours. I never got around to having them restored so I wound up giving them to a friend.

You can use ac if you'd like. I've used a small, variable voltage DC PS and it looks like there's plenty of room for one.

I think small 6v fans don't draw much current. Take one off each heater supply? If the amps overheat, you could cut a vent in the top and middle shelf. But it looks really good as it is.

Back
Top Bottom