Votes: 43 9.2%
  • AS/BS/Tech School/Skilled Trades

Votes: 252 53.8%
  • MS/PhD

Votes: 103 22.0%
  • Other Advanced Degree

Votes: 50 10.7%

• Total voters
Neat thread, both funny and serious replies.
I wonder how many here are 'expert' musicians (defined, say, as 5 or more years of serious daily practice)?
I searched, but didn't find any threads on that?
I am not - never got past 3 yrs of (fairly serious) practice on any of the 3 instruments I played.
You'd think it'd be common amongst audiophiles....and represent skills and determination I respect very highly.

Not an Expert in any sense of the word you mean but having played for pay as a pro for 40 yrs straight ain't bad either:)

In Fordham U right now, headed for a BA. will be looking at Johnson School of Management at Cornell during the next year.
That sounds way cool. I went to typical mega midwestern moo-u type places. GI Bill. I have no idea how you New Yorkers can handle all the private schools - but if you can pull off the finances you've got some awesome choices.

That sounds way cool. I went to typical mega midwestern moo-u type places. GI Bill. I have no idea how you New Yorkers can handle all the private schools - but if you can pull off the finances you've got some awesome choices.
I’ll tell you, were they not offering me about 50% of it on the house, I’d be unable take advantage. Their PCS school (adults returning) is also about half the cost of the regular tuition. It’s on a per credit system.

I left highschool ASAP as soon as I was legally allowed - for numerous reasons. Eventually got my GED and stuff but kind of squandered a number of years inbetween. Live and learn :dunno:

I was always nose in my computer doing dumb crap so was supposed to go to college and make 6 figures and all that, but I'm just a coaster through life and gave up a long time ago.

I like computers as a hobby but I can't see myself doing it for work these days - especially since the kind of jobs I would have wanted (board level / component repair, building and maintaining systems, etc) just simply no longer exist. I was always a hardware guy. I loved diving into parts up to my neck ever since I assembled my first 286 from 3 cannibalized machines.

Probably depressing to hear, but I feel like people can't do anything to me that life hasn't done already - so I just don't care anymore :banana:

I was a semi-professional student. Four associates, one trade school diploma, 1 term away from a bachelor degree in business (never will complete that as I got tired of not sleeping as I was working 2 jobs, too)

A.S. In Mortuary Science.
End goal is an MBA, one of these days. Or a joint MBA/JD.

Detroit Diesel certified tech
Associate Business Management City Colleges Chicago
Infantry Mortar Platoon Officer Course Ft. Benning
MBA Business Emporia State University

MS in geology, University of Florida, 1989. I didn't particularly care for pure research, so I focused on classes with practical applications and took advantage of co-op work opportunities to gain knowledge and experience thst could be used in the real world (i.e. outside of academia). I've been employed in the minig and environmental fields since before graduation, and a licensed professional geologist for more that 28 years.

I worked all the way thru High School not because I had but that what was expected from my dad. Never took school very seriously but made B's and C's and that was fine with the folks. Went to college and did the same thing. After 2 years decided it wasn't for me and was tired of being broke even though my parents were paying for it. I got in the automobile business and did very good and was able to buy my on dealership after about 20 years. That didn't go great but I was able to sell it and keep enough money to buy a new franchise that was coming out called PODS. It turned out to be all I wanted it to be and better. Sold it about a year ago and an able to retire hot wealthy but very comfortably. I don't tell this to brag but to show that hard work can pay off and that degree is not the only way to get there. With all that said I wish I had gotten my sheep skin, accounting would have come in very handy in my professional career. I have 5 kids and all of them graduated except the oldest and she is a senior this year.

Graduated high school with a 2.0 and just the amount of credits I needed. I was not a good student LOL.

Went to the local community college, found out I could do well at school. Remember my first humanities test, they put up pics of ancient Egyptian sites...my answers to when built was ....very old. Got a C on that first exam, and then learned how to study and that expectations were higher than high school. Graduated there is a 3.5 and went to Eastern Washington University where I got a BA in Business Administration.

Worked a few years in the management track for a couple of retail stores, but ended up getting a job at a paper mill with the same company my Dad worked for as the pay was far better and I had benefits for the new family. Worked 21 years there, but the truth is I was not innately talented at this kind of work, and every year was a grind/depressing/and a strain on my family. Working rotating shifts, having to work all holidays, forced overtime, and missed family events did not make for a happy home life.

My wife took a promotion and we had to choose between her career, which she has a Masters from USC, and my job. We took her career. I was able to qualify for some retraining due to an earlier injury at work, so I got a certificate in Medical Billing and Coding. Going back to school at the age 50, and learning the new way education is done was a bit of a shock, but I made it. I then was able to refresh my earlier degree with new skills, and I landed a 1 year non-permanent job with Washington State Dept of Revenue. I would not have been able to do this without either my previous degree, or the new slug of schooling I just finished. This is the pathway into a state job, and the conversion rate is pretty high for the dept. I am a competitive guy and I look at this as an extended audition, and believe I will get converted in due time.

From my perspective you are never too old to learn, education always matters, working in a manufacturing or trade setting is honest and meaningful work, and there is a lot to be said for keeping on trying in life. I have been fortunate how things have turned out, but its been by hard work, planning, and sacrifice. Of course some good fortune has been thrown in, but I still think you make your own luck. But if it were not for the encouragement and support of my wife, I don't know I would have made it all this way, we make a good team.

Cheers
Mister Pig

Both Mike and I have 4 year degrees. Never really used mine worked my life in other fields. Did DAMN GOOD though!

Dropped out in junior year of high school. Went back 2 years later and finished in 1 year. No further education. But took a lot of time and a lot of beef from my wife for spending so much time on the pc. Loved learning about computers and what they could do. Changed my life. Web design, advertising graphics, marketing brochures, and even graphic design and printing.

Education....

All the situations we have learned from....and even those we haven’t learned from. It’s all what we are able to notice and adjust too continually over the span of our lives. Modern distractions inhibit the process and impare cognitive development....limiting what a person will consider as relevant !!!

Level 3 BTEC in ICT and Telecoms, I partly wish I followed my passion for Chemistry while it was free though.

I have a B.A in Economics and can honestly say I don't think I ever used one thing I learned in school in the real world work enviroment.

Reactions: 0Hz
Hmmmm ... so long ago!
BA History
MA English Literature
MA History
MS Education
MLS
PhD History
Between a rock and a hard place ... I just liked to read while playing music on a great stereo.

I don't want to know any AKer's educational level. I like to judge people solely by what they post and how they respond to others' posts.

However, I will tell you that at every level of my education, I have been in the top 95% of my class.

Back
Top Bottom