Is this exceptionally strong money for a McIntosh MC2120 or am I just behind the times?

andx0r

The amp in question - NOT MINE! Not affiliated!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/McIntosh-M...rentrq:f4dfd1301630a866b15d70daffef9e19|iid:1

I'm on the hunt for an entry-level McAmp and happened to find this relatively locally. It's a cool piece but I can't seem to find any that have sold for such a high number anytime recently.

It does look like it's in exceptionally good condition but I'm seeing nothing about the amp being tested to meet its original specs as part of the servicing it got.

Nice amp but too much, around $800.00 or so. For that money there are several other Mac options, almost in mc2205 price range imo.

That is an exceptionally clean example. Hence, his asking price. No mention of an electrical restoration of any kind would cause me to be hesitant at his asking price.

That is an exceptionally clean example. Hence, his asking price. No mention of an electrical restoration of any kind would cause me to be hesitant at his asking price.

That was my thought too. No mention of any kind of electrical tests or repairs.

I’ll keep looking I think.

It would appear that some work has been done to this MC2120, as the NORMAL lights are lit. The seller mentions that the Power Guard lamps have been replaced, but there is more to the procedure than just unsoldering the old bulbs, and soldering in new ones. Generally, the filter capacitors on the lamp circuit board have shorted, which kills the lamp supply (and usually stresses the diodes involved). Just replacing the bulbs will result in ones which glow dimly, if at all.

As for its worth, I agree that $1,500 is way too much for a MC2120 in any condition except perhaps fully restored by a trusted McIntosh repair service. At the least, that $1,500 should include a nice wood cabinet (the L12 and L52 fit the MC2120, the same as with the MC2125). Again, the seller mentions some service having been done to it, but not enough to justify that price, IMO.

I got really lucky on the MC2120 I had, finding it being sold locally by a DJ(!) who was willing to take $200 for it (his suggestion, not mine; his original asking price was $500). I had to replace the NORMAL lamps, along with the filter capacitors and diodes on the lamp board, to get it lighting properly. Eventually, it developed an intermittent in the right channel, and I decided to sell it. :( Since then, I got lucky and found another set of McIntosh gear (MC2505/C26/MR73/MI3) for a really good price ($1,300 all told), so the good deals are still out there, if you look around. :)
-Adam

Back
Top Bottom