Someone Please keep me out of the Thrift Stores!

kjack48230

Hello all,

In the middle of overhauling a Thorens TD 124 but wanted to get the last of the old oil out of the sintered bronze bearings in the platter well. Did some searching and from what I've come across the best way is to heat them up in an oven.

After reading some guys doing it in their regular oven (and subsequent issues with their wives) someone suggested going to a thrift store and grab a cheap toaster oven. PERFECT! Keeps the smell out of the house and only spend a few buck.

Went to a GW close to my work and bingo, toaster oven for $8. Problem solved.... but there was a Salvation Army close by too so I figured to check that one out as well. No toaster oven so my first purchase was a good one. I figured I'd walk by the electronics dept. and there amongst the piles of BPC was a BRS EQ-3000, Interesting.

Thought there might be more issues besides the light scratches and scrapes on the metal cover and small scratches on the face, figured there must be issues with the display or a bunch of lights on the slides may be out. Found a plug and turned it on.... All lights work and the display looks to be in operation, all for the low price of $14.99.

I'll take it home after work and plug into my system and see if it functions as well, at this point I could sell it on Flea bay for parts to cover my cost. Wish me luck and take my keys away please, my wife is going to kill me if I keep bringing stuff home!

Pictures coming!

I don't find much at thrift stores but stil like to go. If you're on a roll may as well hit them up.

Still hit them up SA, Community here are better than GW. Can still find CD,DVD, VCR s at both. Sometimes all in ones, speakers. But the wife doesn't want me bringing anything else home. Did find Esoteric audio and video cables for a buck each at GW.

Back
Top Bottom