What Do You Like On Your Baked Potato?

pustelniakr

Silver Miner at Large
Subscriber
I had a theory, that folks that are passionate about their music, and the gear that is used to produce it, would be passionate about certain genres of food. I started with the hotdog, then breakfast, and the passion is definitely there. Now, I'm going to probe the next genre: baked potatoes. It can be as simple as butter and solt, or quite complex. The sky is the limit. You are welcome to include what you make at home, or what you like at your favorite staurant.

As before, this is about what you like on your baked potato, not what you think about what others like on theirs. I beseech you therefore, to avoid negativity.

I'm looking for inspiration. Whacha got?

Enjoy,
Rich P

Last edited:
Steam them until soft, squash them partially with a mash until they split.
Drizzle with a little bit of olive oil and bake until crisp

Well, before it's baked I julienne it, fry it in a pan, then top it with two eggs over easy, bacon, Swiss cheese, a grilled hamburger patty, and a sesame seed bun.

Oh ya, forgot to mention, I don't bake the potato lol.

I posted this in the "Show Us Your Dinner" thread. This is how my GF and I have been baking potatoes lately. We saw this method on "America's Test Kitchen" The skin comes out crispy and the interior is nice and fluffy.

Ingredients

Salt and pepper

4 (7- to 9-ounce) russet potatoes, unpeeled, each lightly pricked with fork in 6 places

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

Instructions

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 450 degrees (425 degrees for a convection oven). Dissolve 2 tablespoons kosher salt in 1/2 cup warm water in large bowl. Place potatoes in bowl and toss so exteriors of potatoes are evenly moistened. Transfer potatoes to wire rack set in rimmed baking sheet and bake until center of largest potato registers 205 degrees, 45 minutes to 1 hour.

2. Turn up oven to 450 degrees if previously set to 425 degrees. Remove potatoes from oven and brush tops and sides with oil. Clarified butter also works well. Do not use whole butter as it has too much water. Return potatoes to oven and continue to bake for 10 minutes.

3. Remove potatoes from oven and, using paring knife, make 2 slits, forming X, in each potato. Using clean dish towel, hold ends and squeeze slightly to push flesh up and out. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.

-Dave

After cooked to done in the oven, start with a small amount of butter soaking in. Add lean beef brisket cuts that have been shredded in thinned bbq sauce. Top it off with diced onions and jalapenos.

Bake potato, cut in half, remove flesh, drop a dollop of butter then salt and pepper into each half of skin and squish it a bit to work the butter around and set aside. Butter salt and pepper on potato flesh, enjoy as you would mashed potatoes along with the meal enjoying the potato skins as a side. Of course any toppings such as sour cream, bacon, etc can be added.

Hmm, Really use to like Baked Potatoes but, now I'd just rather have mine fried up or mashed but,
when I did I liked everything on'em, butter, salt, sour creme, cheese and of course chives.
I even think Chili (no beans) and onions might be quit well on one. Ya know, I might just start lik'em again if that turns out to be good.

Taco-Taters.

We sometimes use the potatoes just like you would use a taco shell.

Be careful though, you can end up with a plate full by the time you use all the goodies.

Soak potatoes in cold water (in the fridge if you like), lightly coat with oil, sprinkle with Kosher salt, wrap in foil and bake til done. Remove from foil, split them open and fill with sauteed onions and A-1 steak sauce! If you like a really crispy skin, remove foil and bake "naked" for a few extra minutes.

First of all, the skin has to be CRISPY. No mushy stuff.
Basic; salt, butter, chives and lots of sour cream
Other options: Sauteed onions, cheddar and bacon bits with a dab of Sour Cream, or just smothered in chili.
I've never used pepper and found it odd, maybe because all we ever had was the finely ground flavorless stuff in a can that seemed to make most foods taste worse.
I love fresh cracked and will have to give it a try.

Off topic; When I saw this title in new posts (on the right side of the home page) I was thinking, gee Rich,that's different,and a real friday night topic. It reads:

What Do You Like On Your Baked Pot

Umm,brownie or chocolate chip?:rflmao:

Back
Top Bottom