Just the start of my system ... 2245

Waiting for a few more things to show up ... currently working on the basement room i am turning in to my listening room ... it's not a big room but will make a nice cozy getaway for me to listen to music ... i don't want to show any pics till i am done (goal is to be done by my 50th birthday on 6/11)
Waiting on audio cabinet and speaker stands to arrive as well as a CD player i bought online
20180530_201040.jpg Screenshot_20180530-201711_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20180530-202337_eBay.jpg

Doing a little work on the walls with this brick look wallpaper that i seen in a house before and looks like real brick ... (pic off internet)
Screenshot_20180530-202747_Google.jpg
And i have several rock concert posters to hang etc ... pretty excited about this project
Look for updates here in a couple weeks

Still have not got a turntable yet, the gentleman named Steve from New York who sold me my EPI 100's has over 70 turntables and knew i was looking for one, he messaged me and said "i will keep you posted, i have an idea for you" .. i am waiting to hear his idea

I should probably keep my mouth shut because I’m sure I’ll get flamed, but — IMO, if you are starting from scratch, a turntable is a place where a nice mid-level consumer unit with a nice mid-level cartridge will do just fine. Spend your bucks on a nice receiver and speakers and get a Dual, Pioneer, Technics, Marantz or equivalent turntable with a decent Shure or AT cartridge (or equivalent). It will sound fantastic, and when you get your system going and get familiar with the sound, you can begin to experiment with turntables/cartridges as funds permit. To my ears, the difference in a $250 turntable and a $2500 turntable is certainly audible on the same system, but not $2250 worth.
Steve

I should probably keep my mouth shut because I’m sure I’ll get flamed, but — IMO, if you are starting from scratch, a turntable is a place where a nice mid-level consumer unit with a nice mid-level cartridge will do just fine. Spend your bucks on a nice receiver and speakers and get a Dual, Pioneer, Technics, Marantz or equivalent turntable with a decent Shure or AT cartridge (or equivalent). It will sound fantastic, and when you get your system going and get familiar with the sound, you can begin to experiment with turntables/cartridges as funds permit. To my ears, the difference in a $250 turntable and a $2500 turntable is certainly audible on the same system, but not $2250 worth.
Steve

LOL ... I certainly don't have $2500 to spend on a turntable, more like $250

Everything is coming together slowly, today i received this beautiful WC-22 case made by Joe @Asaalah and WOW it is VERY nice indeed. His packaging job was insanely good and shipping was prompt via Fedex. Below are some pics
Waiting on my audio stand to arrive, was notified a couple weeks ago it was on back order. Slowly but surely .. just have to buy a little at a time as funds allow

20180614_122941.jpg 20180614_122955.jpg 20180614_130839.jpg 20180614_130807.jpg 20180614_130730.jpg 20180614_125347.jpg

Joe, that is SUCH beautiful work. Can't wait until I can save my pennies to get one for my 2245.

Unfortunately i had to return the Marantz 2245 to the ebay seller, it had a bad crackling/popping sound and a few other issues i was not happy with especially considering the price i paid ($599).
Now, the fortunate part is i found Bob @wlhd1610 on here who is going to do a complete restore on a 2245 for me and i know that he will do a great and complete job ... not just spray some deoxit and install leds like some of the joker ebay sellers. Stay tuned ......

Last edited:
I saw this thread and have enjoyed the read.

I am very sorry to hear about your issues. As the owner of a restored Marantz (2230) and having listened to a few others, I believe they are a great base for an update. I was in a situation where I needed to sell some of my higher priced pieces. I could not be happier about the stroke of luck I found in Marantz receivers. There is concern that their price is on the rise, but they have really impressed me.

I have also been using a WC-22 case on mine, and it runs very cool into 2 8 ohm speakers. I believe the rebuild should aid there as well.

I have been a fan of Shure cartridges with my setup. I have a M97xE with a SAS Shibata and a LP Gear VL stylus. I have liked these more than a couple of other cartridge/ stylus setups though I have never used the AT 440 and have heard good things.

Last edited:
Tadd, hope you get your replacement soon!
Thanks! I have a wonderful member here doing a complete restore on one for me. I did receive a full refund from my bad ebay deal so that's all behind me and a lesson learned.
Things will all come together here in the near future and when complete i will update with pics etc of my system and listening space

Yesterday i was able to purchase this beautiful Sony ps-x600 turntable from @bravo30 who happens to live just an hour from me. Now i am just waiting on another member here to finish a restore on a Marantz receiver for me and i will have my complete system. I have a really nice audio stand i bought local used, nice Nakamichi cassette deck, Sony dvp-ns900v for my cd's and the Sony ps-x600 turntable ... i think i will have a great start once i get the Marantz 2245 and get everything setup.
20180713_064217.jpg 20180713_064147.jpg 20180713_064059.jpg 20180713_063759.jpg

Nice thread. Beautiful gear. And some skills with taking good pics in evidence, too. Makes me want a Marantz receiver, but my need for remote control precludes it.

Back
Top Bottom