SD4020

Stink Bear

Looking for info on this cassette deck. I have no experience with repairing / servicing tape decks. I came across this one recently, the guy I got it from said it just needs belts. I opened it up and one belt is melted to the motor shaft. When I turn on power the motor starts spinning. I can turn the big pulley easily. It's clean inside and I don't see any burned / damaged components.
Before I order belts, is there anything else I should check?
I'm not finding much info on this particular model. Is it a good one?
Any estimates on value? I would say it's in fair to good condition.

It’s a nice deck and worth fixing. If you’re handy at disassembling/reassembling things, you can probably do this. You can download a service manual from hifiengine.com (free membership required). Go to Library—->Marantz—->Cassette Decks. You will likely need to remove the mechanical transport mechanism to get to the belts. The manual has some disassembly instructions. Then it’s just a matter of figuring out what needs to be removed to get the belts off. Usually not too much. When you order belts, also get a new pinch roller. They are nearly always hardened and out of round. Good luck!
Steve

Thanks Steve, sounds like good advice. I've been an aircraft mechanic for many years so not too good at disassembling/reassembling things.:)
I already downloaded the service manual and just kind of skimmed through it. It looks like there are 3 belts, 2 could be replaced without disassembly. I think you're right about having to take the transport mechanism out to get to the 3rd belt.
I didn't know about the pinch roller, so that's good to know.
Any advice on where to order belts from? I found that I can get them from Vintage.Electronics.net. They also have belts for my Sony TC-K81, which probably could use belts and a pinch roller as well, and I would only have to pay once for shipping...........................
Brett

There is a place out of Germany that puts together kits of belts and pinch rollers for many cassette decks over on the auction site. I took a chance on one for my 5020, and the parts were great. But delivery took 2-3 weeks. I had plenty of other projects, so it was no problem. BTW, mine had the melted belts, and that is the messiest black stuff in existence. Have isopropyl alcohol and lots of gauze, rags, etc. when you clean it, and don’t get it on anything cloth.

I already cleaned the melted belt residue off of the motor pulley. I mostly used q-tips and alcohol. It was pretty darn messy......................
Thanks.

Went back and looked at my kit purchase and the seller was revox_de. I see they have a pinch roller up right now. You might send them a message and I’ll bet they will put a kit together with belts.

Thanks, I was just trying to find the dealer. Searching on Revox_de, they come up on ebay, is that where you meant by auction site? They have a belt kit for the Marantz, not the Sony. I searched on revox SD4000, I didn't get anything for a pinch roller. I would guess the pinch rollers are make and model specific................

Got it, thanks. I've gotten used to searching on SD4000 because apparently the models are very similar and not much comes up for SD4020.

Back
Top Bottom