Best place to buy new vinyl?

Was browsing through the suggested site and realized I don't think I've heard a record on the "Rhino" label. Can any one comment on their sound quality? Decent stuff?

"Rhino" label. Can any one comment on their sound quality? Decent stuff?
They have been around a long time and started with Oldies. Then they're newer reissues where all right, but today they are getting a lot of their pressing work done at Quality Record Pressing, (see thread link on page one) So now I do like their reissues because pressing work is half the battle.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info in this thread! I bought 3 LP's from get_importcds on eBay for $55, they would have cost me $100 at my local record shops. For instance Love - Forever Changes 180gram.. cheapest I could find it locally was $39, got it from get_importcds for $17.47 (after 20% on $60)

Thanks for the info in this thread! I bought 3 LP's from get_importcds on eBay for $55, they would have cost me $100 at my local record shops. For instance Love - Forever Changes 180gram.. cheapest I could find it locally was $39, got it from get_importcds for $17.47 (after 20% on $60)
Nice! Another great album I don't have and need to get!

not that I don't want to support my local record store, but 50% off is not in the ballpark for competing. I wouldn't mind spending a little more to buy local, but not double

I think it's really hard to generalize on what's going to sound good and what isn't without doing some research.

I have a couple of jazz titles on Waxtime, which appears to be one of those EU companies that takes titles that are no longer under copyright protection overseas and produces it on vinyl. Just because it's digitally sourced doesn't mean it's automatically bad. The titles I have sound fine, though I'm sure there are better versions for more $.

In some cases, I want the best possible fidelity and am willing to pay for it, but in other cases, I'm okay with a good enough version that satisfies me for casual listening and is cheap. But even among those types of companies, I think they have different standards. If you research a bit, there's some feedback from people that seem to generally agree on which are okay and which should be avoided.

But just because a release is from a major label doesn't mean it'll be decent. I have numerous examples of major label reissues that either were pressed poorly or mastered poorly, so that's disappointing. It pays sometimes to be a little patient and see the user reviews that come out to determine if people find it an improvement over what has previously been available or not.

Just bought 10 brand new LPs from the Goodwill!

All of them are 'traditional' music from South America: Argentina, Colombia, and somewhere else, maybe 2 other countries. lol. Someone just dropped them all off. Hey, 10 albums new for $10... give it a shot! If 3 are really good... cool. If 2 are really good, fine too. If one is really good, fine with me. If none are any good, well... I got 10 brand new South American traditional albums in the collection!! I have a lot of international traditional music on CDs, 50 each or so.

For M- LP albums, I've had really great luck on eBay. All like NOS. Just maybe 5 out of 60 with problems, but I did get my money back on 3. Not bad at all. One other wasn't that badd and one was trashed (But 'looked' like brand spanking new, go figure. So... Very Low calculated loss. Surprised me really. Got some outstanding music. Did pay $50-$65 for maybe 8 of them. $25 for maybe 15 others. The rest... $5 to $7, that's it. Ask the seller a lot of questions!! Get communication going - get great results.

I only have about 6 new LPs, bought them from record stores. I have 500 or so total M- LPs.

'Rhino' label sounds really good! NEMS is most excellent to outstanding!!

Last edited:
I bought a couple from getimportsCDs and they were NOS...

For vinyl do a search for recording companies of specific types of music...especially Europe !!!

You have to learn about which recording studios recorded an artists music and read the reviews on the different albums to see which recordings are the best.

NOS....is new old stock and not a remaster. But a person still has to check who was the engineer making the original master tape and which recording studio pressed the CD or vinyl...and there is going to be more than one recording studio pressings each album. Because it’s the recording studios generally that mess up the sound. Like 427 said, don’t just buy the least expensive album you find......

Happy hunting.....use Wikipedia to research an artists recordings then check the individual album recordings the studio puts out by checking out online reviews of each album separately.

Last edited:
NOS....is new old stock and not a remaster. But a person still has to check who was the engineer making the original master tape and which recording studio pressed the CD or vinyl...and there is going to be more than one recording studio pressings each album. Because it’s the recording studios generally that mess up the sound. Like 427 said, don’t just buy the least expensive album you find......

Happy hunting.....use Wikipedia to research an artists recordings then check the individual album recordings the studio puts out by checking out online reviews of each album separately.

Importcds is pretty good about putting label and UPC code in their listings. Once you have that info, you can go to discogs and find the particular release info and research on stevehoffman or other sites. Agree that research is important.

They have OJC (Original Jazz.Classics) of many classic jazz titles, which are usually pretty reliable, even without doing a lot of research.

Importcds is pretty good about putting label and UPC code in their listings. Once you have that info, you can go to discogs and find the particular release info and research on stevehoffman or other sites. Agree that research is important.

They have OJC (Original Jazz.Classics) of many classic jazz titles, which are usually pretty reliable, even without doing a lot of research.

Yes, I’ve bought from them several times. I bought a Fantasy recording of Credence’s first album that’s possibly the best I’ve ever heard.

Back
Top Bottom