I need some new music...

My son-in-law introduced me to Snarky Puppy a couple of years ago...since then, I've also started listening to a couple of spin-offs, such as Cory Henry and the Funk Apostles and Ghost Note. We just moved a few months ago, and as I've be re-organizing my existing collection I've been "re-discovering" some music I've not listened to in a while (e.g., Laura Nyro, Spirit, Al DiMeola to name three). That's one of the great things about AK...I've discovered some terrific new music ideas here.

...in my life. Maybe I'm picky, maybe I haven't been exposed to enough -- I don't know. All I do know is I've been in a rut lately, and while I love rockin' in that rut, even the wife is starting to credibly accuse me of being a serial "repeater." So, help!

My "rut" has been classic rock 'n roll (I only really discovered Zeppelin about three years ago) and folksy-rock stuff, like CSNY / Neil Young / Van Morrison. Plenty of good stuff, but very well-tread these days.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Help!

Thanks in advance...

with all respect, there is no excuse for a post like this in 2018!

We live in a world of easy to find music unlike any other.

Great news stuff released daily, access to everything ever commercially recorded.

Not sure how one can not discover great new sounds.

I suffer the opposite problem. There are just not enough hours in the day to listen to all the great stuff I have not yet heard in my 60 plus years of listening.

with all respect, there is no excuse for a post like this in 2018!

We live in a world of easy to find music unlike any other.

Great news stuff released daily, access to everything ever commercially recorded.

Not sure how one can not discover great new sounds.

I suffer the opposite problem. There are just not enough hours in the day to listen to all the great stuff I have not yet heard in my 60 plus years of listening.

Yeah yeah yeah. Nice to meet you too sir!

I was just asking... :dunno:

I'll give you a one out of four for the vids. I told you I was picky...:D
Guess which artist/band I liked...
Hint: The drummer lived next door to Steve McQueen and he dressed-up like a German solider and marched back-and-forth in front of Steve's house. (The Great Escape)

Not sure what you mean here, but these (as we well know aren't cover bands.) Does covering 1,2 or 3 songs from one artist/band make you a cover band or does every song you perform from one artist/band make you a cover band?

Listen to them and then listen to Page and Plant doing "The Rain Song" with the London Metropolitan Orchestra. My guess is you'll quickly see where any similarity ends.

I see where your coming from, but Page & Plant are not Led Zeppelin. In my opinion Led Zeppelin passed-away when Bonzo passed-away. Once again, in my opinion, if any other band member would have passed-away it still would have been the end of Led Zeppelin.
Bonzo's son is a very good drummer and did a great job of filling-in, but he's not his Father.

Last edited:
In my opinion Led Zeppelin passed-away when Bonzo passed-away..
That is quite true. However, even though he contributed the secret ingredient that made them unmistakably Led Zeppelin, he never wrote a song as pretty as "The Rain Song". I could easily have cited the original version to make my point, but I just recently happened to have listened to the P & P one and it was in my brain.

The Dead Daisies
Holy Ground
(SPV, 2021)

1613242190_thedeaddaisies-holyground.jpg

Give some prog a try.
These are great,both albums knocked my socks off.

Magic Pie from Norway
Mystery from Canada
16134229549453825789755823538585.jpg

Back
Top Bottom