Conversation leading to audio gear....

Markoneswift

Quartz locked n ready to rock
Hey all,

I just started a new job this last week and already conversations with colleagues are leading me towards more gear !

I was talking to my co-worker on Friday about my plans for the weekend, which include doing some work on some of my speakers and my turntable.

He told me that he was in the army in Germany in 1980 and whilst he was there he picked up a Pioneer amp, Technics turntable and 'some speakers'. He told me the amp is 80 WPC but I don't know much else. He said all the pieces were in their original boxes under his stairs, having being unused for years. He also said if I collect them they are mine for free !

I'm wondering what the amp could be - 1980 vintage 80 WPC ???

I'm liking the suggestions so far. I know the military boys generally spent most of their income on booze, cars and hookers back in the day so hopefully some was left over for decent sounds :)

The ultra rare pink SX980 ...

pink-sx1980.jpg

He traded his car to a hooker for it, but he was really drunk at the time ...

Well he probably got thinking about it, googled what he has and now realizes it might be worth some coin.

I will update this thread when I have a definite collection day and time lined up so stay tuned for further announcements :)

I'm the new guy in the team so I don't want to come across as being a stalker. I will give the dude a few days, drop a few hints, hopefully collect the gear before next weekend.

I was given a pair of polk monitor 10s series 2 by a complete stranger. I saw them posted on a lical offer up page. I was not in a position to pony cash up but asked if he would barter for gear of which I am rich with. After a few texts back and forth he said it was more important to him they went to a good home and I could have them no charge. I later learned he purchased them new when he was a senior in high school and as life and work wife kids and so on they went into storage. For 20+ years. I am grateful for sure as they need nothing and sound amazing. So you really never know what may come your way for whatever reason will may never know!:jump:
15292263972491432401359.jpg 15292263972491432401359.jpg

People often tell me about the stuff they have in the closet that hasn't been used in decades but they never want to sell it let alone give it away.

I was talking with a friend over Steam a while ago and mentioned I was saving for a rebuilt receiver

"what receiver"

blah blah

"OHHH A STEREO RECEIVER"

he thought I was talking about guns :rolleyes:

where can I meet these people giving away free audio gear :jump:

I answered an ad on the local offer up page and honestly I have really no idea how it came to a gift. I had seen the post and the price in my mind should have sold first hour ($100) asking. I saved it to watch list hopeful I would have something go so I could pick these up. After a week I sent a message asking if he might be interested in a barter such as receiver or speakers or TT. He replied that he may well be and we exchanged a few texts over the course of the next hour or so and the last one was I really don't need anything and think I will simply give them to you..
I was am a bit naive and said well ok....I have a pioneer receiver I would like you to have in exchange so at least you have something to show. He said he would be working a bit late that evening but would text on his way home about 7:30pm.
I happily went about my day and then 7:30 came and went. I thought well why in the world would someone whom doesn't know me and I don't know them give these to me and I really am a stupid old guy to think it was any thing other than messing with me...
I didn't think on it again and got involved working on my old car.
I stopped work in the wee hours and checked messages and find one from the polk guy saying he was later than he thout but was 9:30 too late.
I of course whom had assumed it was all baloney now was in a panic and sent a message telling him I had gotten busy and when I had not heard from him assumed he had been busy but indeed I would be available anytime .
The day came and about 5pm I get a text can I meet yep. My wife and I go meet him and he gives them to me and won't accept the pioneer and stayed his life was blessed and I have to say mine is also every Day! So how could not tell you. But that's how it worked for me.

I acquired quite a bit of gear from coworkers over the years. Usually a discussion one week led to a pile of stuff in my office on a Monday. Ranged from dreck to Wow!

Why do I need more gear? I have 20 channels of amplification, 9 channels of equalization, a Home Theatre system a Stereo system and a distributed sound system. All cross linked with multiple sources and computers. And remember my motto is KISS.

Back
Top Bottom