What is your preferred way of connecting your digital files to your hi-fi system?

CAT6

urendu_sm.jpg
I really like the effort and care you go through with your systems interconnects and such. Someday when I get this damn house finished I want to get serious about it too...

My system consists of an old desktop PC (Celeron CPU, 2 GB RAM) running Ubuntu 16.04 and Logitech Media Server (LMS) in a headless configuration connected to a WiFi router via an ethernet cable. Two USB 1TB hard drives are connected to the computer. One is a backup. The following devices connect to LMS via WiFi:
  1. Gateway Netbook running Linux Mint 18 and squeezelite (Squeezebox emulation software) -> S.M.S.L. X-usb Digital Audio Interface > HiFime 9018 Optical DAC > TAD-150 pre amp
  2. Pogoplug v4 (hacked to run Arch Linux and squeezelite) > Schiit Modi DAC >The Fisher 400 receiver
  3. Chromecast Audio (LMS sees it as a squeezebox device via a plugin) -> Dynakit SCA-35 integrated amp
All the software including the Operating systems are free. I can play my own flac files, run Spotify (or Tidal) and also tune into internet radio via the tunein app built into LMS. LMS also has plugins for Radio Paradise flac and the BBC.

Because the system uses linux you can get way with cheap hardware (the server PC and the netbook where actually given to me) and still have bit perfect playback. LMS will even play DSD files but of course you will need a DAC that has DSD capabilities.

Last edited:
Main system reads NAS via Ethernet to Music Server then to DAC then to Pre.
Hearth room system reads NAS via wireless through Apple Ipad app which is Bluetooth connected to Emotiva PT-100.
Deck system reads NAS through same as Hearth. OR through Bluetooth connected to DAP.
DAP can connect to all systems via coaxial, line out, Bluetooth or wifi. FiiO X5 Gen3. Best money I've ever spent on audio.

HDMI, AMD True Audio from my Radeon GPU. It takes a direct WASPI feed from the motherboard. Fantastic sound beat out my ASUS Xonar Essence STX sound card.

I have a Thinkpad in all my systems and I interface using wifi. The bedroom Thinkpad holds all the files and has additional file storage on a two drive array that is shared to the wifi. I have found that using USB audio cards gives me cleaner sound than the onboard sound cards. The onboard cards tend to create noises when surfing the web. This works well for me.

Nothing fancy here. I use a cheap Celeron based windows laptop, Music Bee, Flac or Alac files, USB to my Oppo DAC then to my Onkyo amp.

As far as my computer files, music players, Youtube vids and all sound coming from my computer I go WiFi. I use a Audioengine D2, 24 bit WiFi DAC. It can be used just for it's WiFi if you have a better stand alone DAC or use the DAC it has. It's small and can you can move the transmitter to other things you might want to send to your system, CDP or a TV. You can also add up to 3 receivers and run different rooms from the same transmitter and source.
I'm not sure what type of technology they use here to transfer the files, Audioengine mention on their website it as wifi.
I can't find any details more than the phrase wifi. Some say that it might just be Bluetooth.
Any Ideas?
Thanks!

I rum HDMI out from the computer into my SONY AVR. It is simple, but it works and sounds good. Peace and goodwill.

Last edited:
Notebook or outboard hard drive [EDIT: into notebook] ==> USB DAC (original Schiit Modi) ===> Amp AUX in ===> Speakers or Cans.

99% of my music is flacs ripped from CDs.

Last edited:
Plex Media Server running on a Raspberry Pi 3B connecting to three stereos using Chromecast Audio via WiFi. Control of the Plex server is done through an Android tablet using the HiFi Cast app.

Stream Spotify over WiFi through my iPhone or Mac to a 3.5mm to dual RCA cable out to pre.

Dedicated Dell PC, SS HD with music files or internet radio, running though JRiver MC via USB cable to PS Audio NuWave DSD DAC to Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum integrated amp.

Laptop -> USB DAC (HRT Music Streamer II or II+ depending on room) -> preamp

Music is on laptop's hard drive but can also be streamed off NAS

Laptop runs Linux Mint, Kodi for local files and also has Spotify app installed. Either can be controlled through cell phone.

Dedicated HTPC with 4tb storage running jRiver Media Center... recently upgraded to a new 60w ITX integrated APU board and a Paul Pang dedicated USB sound card.

htpc.jpg

Maverick TubeMagic DAC ...

d1+-racked.jpg

All feeding my classic Sansui quad. I've ripped all my CDs and most of my vinyls to the HTPC as well.

Dedicated HTPC with 4tb storage running jRiver Media Center... recently upgraded to a new 60w ITX integrated APU board and a Paul Pang dedicated USB sound card.

htpc.jpg

Maverick TubeMagic DAC ...

d1+-racked.jpg

All feeding my classic Sansui quad. I've ripped all my CDs and most of my vinyls to the HTPC as well.

Nice!

Fun fact - an ITX motherboard fits into an old ATX case, using the existing mounting posts. This one is also an APU board with sound and video integrated into the "brain". Also a LOT more efficient and quiet, using only the chip and power supply fans, and those are "smart" so they don't run much - 60w total draw doesn't create much heat - so it's dead quiet in normal use. The old setup had SIX fans running constantly and make a bunch of noise.

Not to mention, there's a whole lotta air space to keep things cool anyway. The ITX board is hiding under the fan in case you're wondering ... <G>

htpc-gigabyte-001.jpg

Oh ... and that little black box lower left is the SSD drive I use for the operating system and software. The standard "video rated" hard drives are strictly media files. ALWAYS use separate drives in an HTPC as your music is protected from most any virus or OS catastrophe that can and will happen.

Currently I have a HP laptop/w external 1TB USB HDD-->Emotiva XDA-2-->CD/In on ARC SP-9MKIII.

Back
Top Bottom