+1.5
35v

....and that's it.

What do I replace them with?

Attachments

• 1529192958517-1107800360.jpg
    1529192958517-1107800360.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 70
This is my opinion and my opinion only. When replacing tants with aluminum electrolytic I will increase the capacitance in order to match ESR unless I can fit a low ESR aluminum organic polymer then I will sometimes even go slightly lower in capacitance.

Doesnt the + sign mean they are polarized??

The original electro cap is polarized. But if you replace with a film cap, you can install it either way. That means, the polarity does not matter with a film cap. If space allows it, you may replace polarized or unpolarized electro caps of up to 10uF with similar value film caps. IMHO, this improves the sound quality rather noticably.

This is my opinion and my opinion only. When replacing tants with aluminum electrolytic I will increase the capacitance in order to match ESR unless I can fit a low ESR aluminum organic polymer then I will sometimes even go slightly lower in capacitance.
ESR is very bad, very bad Mr. particleman7.
Changing capacitance in the audio path is very bad, very bad Mr. particleman7.

That sounds like a very confused and complicated approach to such a straightforward issue. :confused:

That sounds like a very confused and complicated approach to such a straightforward issue. :confused:
I guess I'm confused then. I just measured the ESR on a 6.8uf 35V dipped tant it came out to about 1 on my ESR meter. Then I measured a 6.8uf 35V aluminum can it came out at about 2.8 Now go ahead and replace 25 of those dipped tants with 1 ESR with 25 aluminum cans with close to 3 ESR. What do you have?

What do you have?

Is the circuit with the Tantalums in it designed with low ESR being a critical parameter? - I assume you mean '1Ω ESR'.

If the answer to the above (first) question is 'yes' - then just put in a replacement tantalum if it is faulty, otherwise leave it alone?

If the circuit voltage is substantially less then 35V, the tant was properly derated. They have no aging mechanism, so you could make an argument to just leave it in there. Tantalums have two claims to fame. First is a very predictable "medium" ESR. That's important in some regulator circuits where too low causes oscillation and too high reduces their effectiveness. The other claim to fame is a lot of capacitance in a small volume, but modern aluminum electrolytics have pretty much eliminated that advantage. I replace tantalums in the signal path because I think they can affect the sound. I replace them if they aren't well derated or if they have a history of failure in a certain unit. I also replace them if they're in a power supply location that isn't current limited, because if they fail, they'll fail short circuited.

Years ago tantalum capacitors were thought to not need derating . Thats why many manufacturers placed 16V caps on a 15V line. If you notice in my original comment I was taking about replacing tantalum with aluminum electrolytic. Are you going to pay $70 for a wet tantalum? Im not. I just replaced several corroded wet tants in a tektronix 453 with aluminum electros. Should I have spent $600 in caps?

I think you'll only find wet tantalums in military gear and test equipment. They didn't used to cost an arm and a leg, just a nose or toe, but I was shocked to see the current prices. I've no idea what claim to fame is given to wet slug tantalums, nor do I know if they have the same derating issues as the dry type. I do know they're available in much higher voltages than dry. Anyway, I certainly wouldn't pay for one. Between playing with values and selecting different types (series) of aluminum electrolyics you should be able to satisfy about any application. I also use the trick of adding a short piece of constantan or manganin wire if I need just a bit more resistance to stabilize a circuit. If messing about with regulators, this is worth knowing- https://electrooptical.net/static/oldsite/www/sed/ErrolDietzRegulatorNoisePeaks.pdf

As I've elsewhere written, I suggest not using tantalum capacitors as this is not a socially responsible material to use.

Tantalum is a conflict mineral which funds civil wars, warlords, and horrific brutality, slavery, rape, mutilation, and murder.

Here are few links I pulled using google:

Tantalum is fungible, and thus cannot be easily tracked back to a source. Many companies deliberately lie about the sources because who wants to use materials which are cruelty in solid form.

We have access to capacitors not built on human suffering. Better to use those.

WTF I love Tantalum capacitors even more now.

As I've elsewhere written, I suggest not using tantalum capacitors as this is not a socially responsible material to use.

Tantalum is a conflict mineral which funds civil wars, warlords, and horrific brutality, slavery, rape, mutilation, and murder.

Here are few links I pulled using google:

Tantalum is fungible, and thus cannot be easily tracked back to a source. Many companies deliberately lie about the sources because who wants to use materials which are cruelty in solid form.

We have access to capacitors not built on human suffering. Better to use those.

WTF I love Tantalum capacitors even more now.

Tantalum and Cobalt are conflict minerals which means wars are fought to control the supply and the profits therefrom.

Manufacturers of dense electronics (primarily cellphones) are finding replacements. Why would you disparage the efforts of those trying to reduce the incentive for civil wars fought over minerals?

Alternatives to tantalum exist which are conflict free. Why not use them?

Note: Edited due to changes (deletions) of previous postings. These changes "orphaned" my original comments, so as to avoid confusion on the part of future readers, I eliminated those comments.

I do appreciate the information provided by retrovert.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom