Looking for something... gonna have to build it myself?

0Hz

Just curious if anyone has seen any kind of unit out there, that might meet the following requisites.

Spectrum Analyzer
VU Meter (analog / needle kind)
Other kind of digital / levels meter for volume
*basic tone or EQ controls (not strictly required)
limiter

speaker-level input / output (sit between receiver terminals and speakers)

It's all tall order I know lmao.. Basically I just want a really shiny box that reads passively from the final output chain going directly to the speakers... so if I was looking at my fancy readout it would be indicative of volume controls on the receiver itself, not the incoming source, etc. Or have I misconstrued how a tape in/out loop works?

The actual EQ'ing and limiting features aren't strictly required because I could use a DSP for those, but if the box did stored presets, etc then that would be cool.

At the end of the day I need more fancy dials and gauges to go ADHD about when I play music.

I see lots of parts listings for various meters and controller boards and stuff on ebay, so I am guessing this is probably something I would have to learn how to build myself if I want all these features in one box at a price I could afford...

How about you just take your medication and then sit down and listen to the music? :p
Ha, just kidding. I've seen where some guys have some sort of digital interface that displays all of the fancy designs and colors you can't even imagine on your TV display unit. Imagine all the pretty bouncing lights and /or gigantic simulated analog VU meters a boy could ever desire.:banana:

Last edited:
If it were me, I'd use a computer soundcard as the audio interface and build it entirely in software.

The only thing I want from my computer is to have an input source on my receiver for my digital albums. I don't want it handling anything else. I don't have the room for another small PC to be a dedicated media box like that either. If anything I would buy a miniDSP when I have the spare cash, so I can do the EQing and limiting, etc.

Maybe one day I'll try and build something really dumb, with Stereo VU meters for every input source + final output and stuff. :D

I actually saw a really cool EQ / Analyzer in a youtube video (I think from Technology Connections or maybe Techmoan) but I can't remember what it was. It was neat and the analyzer had multi color output bars and stuff

hmm.. well I have found the old video about the kenwood reverb unit so far, but that's not quite what I remember (could be remembering wrong).
As an aside that Akai Graphic EQ looks amaaaaaaaazing

Just buy a bunch of units. A Crown OC-150(a) will monitor level as will the Radio Shack meter or LED power indicator boxes. The APM-100, -200, -300. Add to that stack a spectrum analyzer, many EQs have this but it would need to be wired between preamp output/power amp input to get a visual of your control settings or use the microphone. Add an EQ, use it in a tape loop as the signal is better and get a basic tone control unit the Loki is a current one and Luxman made the 5F70 for bass and treble with a parametric low filter.

Lots of choices, get the gear stack it up and make that wall of sound into a wall of vision, too!!!

yeah I've thought about multiple boxes. Problem is I got nowhere to stack them. My turntable already sits atop my SX-636, which is on a dresser at about chest height. I could maybe get away with stacking one more additional box if it wasn't too tall :no:

All that's built into jRiver Media Center. Only good for digital sources, but I've ripped most everything to the server now anyway.

Audio tools ap for phone or iPad. You can use the mic on your device or buy a fancy one. Works great for pinpointing trouble spots in your room. May not do it all but it’s a great tool and all most would need for setting up a proper listening space.

I actually thought about asking if there were apps like that. My iphone 6s plus has a surprisingly good microphone. picks up thunder, picks up good low frequencies overall.

I will look into that at least to try and help with positioning. thanks

edit: damn is there a free equivalent? lmao

All that's built into jRiver Media Center. Only good for digital sources, but I've ripped most everything to the server now anyway.

Yeah I know.. I guess I'd just rather do it all in hardware and be able to handle all sources from one spot, ya know? I don't like the idea of having to rely on my computer being on for that to happen / running input through it etc.

it may be a moot point, idk. As for now I got my PC sound running through and played with it a bit. Turned on the Volume Leveling and Adaptive Volume + put a -2 dB @ 140hz and -1 @ 180hz which cut back a lot of "hollow" peaks I was getting near those tones.

So it works alright for music stored on the PC at least.. moved the speakers back to both being on my desk, got pretty good near-field stereo but ultimately will need a subwoofer as well it looks like. I have to sit back / extend the top of the triangle to pick up more of the low bass thumps you would otherwise miss. These speakers only hit well down to about 55Hz I think Can't be helped I suppose given my room layout (I'm on the long wall)

Audio tools ap for phone or iPad. You can use the mic on your device or buy a fancy one. Works great for pinpointing trouble spots in your room. May not do it all but it’s a great tool and all most would need for setting up a proper listening space.

kewl!

i'm old school, i have the meters and stuff, but i have been dying to try minidsp ....... Audio Tools sounds a like a great primer

Reactions: 0Hz
I have Audio Tools (free version) loaded on my Fire Tablet. First I tried it on my phone. The screen on a phone is just not large enough for my old eyed.

The price may be different for an iPhone if that's what you use.

I just checked Google Play. It's currently listed at $7.99. When I downloaded it (a year ago) it was free.

Back
Top Bottom