Songs that must be played at top volume to be fully experienced

OSIBISA- "Osibisa" and "Welcome Home" albums. Stole them both in a garage sale for 25cents a piece in mint condition.

This band was big in the percussion scene in the mid 70's. Their biggest hit, "Music For Gong Gong" is a tough one to beat in the drum sound, with the volume turned right up!

Q

:rockon:So many it's hard to pick just one, depending on the genre of music I suppose. Right now I'm thoroughly enjoying Vol Beat at some insanely loud levels on my new dx 7's and the sound is amazing! I think anything less would be doing them an injustice! :rockon:

15 years ago, I had some songs like this. No more. I no longer play anything at near concert levels. Just don't enjoy it anymore.

I completely respect that. I actually don't usually play my music loud, but I was "testing" some amps and receivers in my workshop yesterday and got carried away! If you don't do it very often it can be very fun when you do crank it.

Since I haven't commented on either thread yet.....I've always listened at volume when possible but the first song that REALLY had me looking for 11 was Lunatic Fringe by Red Ryder. Then Cracker "Low". Mirror in the Bathroom by English Beat comes to mind. Then 23,937 other titles in some form of descending order

Machine Head seems to be a common theme. I'll go with Highway Star but for some reason I need to be moving at least 50mph and a certain amount of tape hiss has to be involved. Doctor, Doctor from UFO and Pearl Jam "Alive" (without the 8 track hiss) probably fall into that category as well. Muscle memory?

Back to the home studio a few more come to mind:
Ecstasy by Rusted Root
New Orleans is Sinking by Tragically Hip
Paper Thin and Perfectly Good Guitars from the John Hiatt Budokan LP
Hazy Shade of Winter by The Bangles and Mrs. Robinson by Lemonheads for some revved up S&G covers
Crumblin' Down by Melloncamp

New releases: Cold Cold Cold by Cage the Elephant, Severed by The Decemberists, No Roots by Alice Merton

Man I could go on and on.....
One of these days I'm going to run through the list of all of you all's selections and run through through them at volume. This is fun!

Last edited:
Nobody? Ok, I'll go first. These are songs I play when nobody's at home, including the neighbors. Ideally, one would have a private island to fully appreciate the awesome sledgehammer bass of these songs. In no particular order, and by no means a definitive or complete list:

1. Hung Up, by Madonna
2. Bodyrock, by Moby
3. That Old Pair of Jeans, by Fatboy Slim
4. The Visitors, by Abba
5. Rise, by Herb Alpert
6. Back in Black, by AC/DC (well, duh!)
7. When the Levee Breaks, by Led Zeppelin (double duh!)
8. Meet Me Halfway, by The Black-Eyed Peas
9. Race Car Ya-Yas, by Cake (do not play in mixed company or around small children--no, really!)
10. Judy Staring at the Sun, by Catherine Wheel
11. Machine Gun, by The Commodores
12. I Can't Explain, by David Bowie
13. Watch Us Work It, by DEVO (warning, gets loud right away!)
14. Che Che Cole Makossa, ft. Myra Vega
15. Our Lips Are Sealed, Fun Boy Three (somehow, they made it sound sad!)
16. Stupid Girl, by Garbage (warning! Loud right away!)
17. Hollaback Girl, by Gwen Stefani (extremely naughty words! play at your own risk!)
18. Hi-Jack (version 2), by Herbie Mann
19. Find Your Way Back, by Jefferson Starship (wait for it)
20. When the Night Comes, by Joe Cocker
21. Slow Turnin', by John Hiatt
22. Jungle Boogie, by Kool and the Gang
23. Lay Down, Melanie
24. Shoulder Holster, by Morcheeba (very deep bass; may attract whales)
25. Mission of Mercy, by The Motels
26. F@ck the Pain Away, by Peaches
27. Run Like Hell, by Pink Floyd
28. Love My Way, by The Psychedelic Furs (wait for the extended drumming towards the end)
29. The Other Woman, by Ray Parker
30. Roll With the Changes, by REO Speedwagon
31. Soak Up the Sun, by Sheryl Crow
32. All Star, by Smashmouth
33. The Rubberband Man, by The Spinners
34. Pressure Drop, by The Specials
35. High on Drugs, by The Titanics
36. Tutti Frutti, by Trio
37. The Fly, by U2
38. The Full Bug, by Van Halen
39. Caravan, John Wasson version (from Whiplash movie)
40. Hitch a Ride, by Boston
41. Man with the Hex, by The Atomic Fireballs (sounds so good it's scary)
42. Dance This Mess Around, by The B-52s (no, really! turn it up and you'll be surprised)
43. Have You Fed the Fish, by Badly Drawn Boy (that intro, oh my. and the whole rest of the song)
44. Tomorrow Never Knows, by The Beatles

As a card-carrying old fart, I don't care for sledgehammer bass.

Back
Top Bottom