Turntable Suggestion Help

Jbclements1

I'm looking for recommendations for a newer DJ style turntable that only has a standard phono output without the built in pre-amp or usb output. They seem to be very difficult to find. I recently bypassed the preamp on an audio-technica turntable that I have and it sounds great, but I'm now looking for one that I can just plug in, hook up and play without performing surgery on it. Would prefer a DJ style table with angled tone arm and removable head-shell, but I'm open to any good suggestions. Thanks!

Used Technics 1200 checks all the boxes. Per the pundits at AK it will give trouble free operation for 30 to 40 years and are readily available ("if you are patient and know where to search") for low money.

When you say "DJ style" are you actually planning to DJ with it? If you're just going to use it at home you can find several Technics belt drive TT's such as the SL-23 for less than the cost of a good SL-1200. They will probably need a new belt, but they will still perform well and most have removable headshells, curved tonearms and no built in phono pre-amps.

Hi, thanks for the replies. no I don't plan on DJ'ing with it, I just like the style and want a fully manual operated unit. Seems from most I've spoken to that Technics units are the way to go. Now if I just knew where to find a decent deal...

There are any number of vintage TT's from a bunch of different manufacturers other than Technics. All the major brands are represented. Check some of them out.

If you just want an angled arm and removable headshell, and don't plan on really being an aggressive DJ, scratching away, then the best bang for buck I have found are old CEC-made tables. They made turntables for many brands, like Sanyo, Marantz, Realistic, and possibly even Pioneer (this comment is likely to see vociferous denials here).

They go for much less than the "famous" brands like Technics and Pioneer, but perform superbly. I really like my BD2000, which for $30 including Dust Bug arm brush and Empire cartridge, was a terrific score.

Happy hunting!

Yes you will have to add a digital phono pre-amp module. But the Sl-1200 is the answer, I'd want the new ones of course. Used older 1200 can have thousands and thousands of hour on them and may let you down when you least expect it. Remember if you want a great table,you buy it for the long hall, never to be replaced till it or you die first.

Get a Thorens TD-160 or TD-165. Very simple machines that sound great. Belt drive. If the floors in your home are springy, you put it on a wall-mounted shelf. If you're on a slab, put it virtually anywhere. If something ever goes wrong with it, you can probably fix it yourself. Tons of info online - retuning the suspension is a good idea if it hasn't been done in the last twenty years. New lube in the spindle bearing - no tools required (maybe a flat blade screw driver to release the C-clamp if someone before you put it back on). Use it for the next forty years. Repeat.

I like the Thorens TD160 for sound quality and functional simplicity too but the OP is looking for “DJ” table. S tone arm, removable headshell. Direct drive units allow you to do the DJ stuff (spin the platter backwards to cue, scratch, strobe lights, etc).

Check local Craigslist as there were many makes and models that fit the description.

I like the Thorens TD160 for sound quality and functional simplicity too but the OP is looking for “DJ” table. S tone arm, removable headshell. Direct drive units allow you to do the DJ stuff (spin the platter backwards to cue, scratch, strobe lights, etc).

Check local Craigslist as there were many makes and models that fit the description.

When asked, he replied above that he wasn't using it for DJing. He said he wants a fully manual 'table, but said he likes the 'style' (presumably DJ styling). Angled tonearm he said in OP, and removable headshell. I'm not certain he meant S-shaped, but regardless, he ended claiming he was open to other recs. Therefore I made an 'other' rec of my favorite vinyl spinners, either of which I prefer over a 1200. I have nothing bad to say of the 1200, it's fine; I like a belt drive with a suspended sub-chassis.

Recently helped a young friend just getting into records purchase his first deck. His criteria was similar to yours so we settled on a used Technics SL1200 MKII. Found a pristine example on eBay for around $300, deals are out there if patient.

Just because the SL1200 was liked by DJ's doesnt mean they were all by any means used by a DJ. And eBay is the largest market with full buyer protection policies so don't leave this market out because a few naysayers might chime in.

All said I'm much more of a Kenwood fan when talking DD turntables, and why not they made some superb machines.

Cooper's new table:
20171014_144547.jpeg 20171013_220603.jpeg 20171014_144707.jpeg

Kenwood KD770D: This is a big table so takes up a good bit of real estate
kenwood_kd_770_d-3.jpg

20171025_182903.jpg

There are also the off name brands to consider. My Miida T3115 is a good example, same thing as a Denon GT700, but different badging

Back
Top Bottom