All those with opposing thumbs, what are your MUST HAVE tools?

Speaking of tools, anyone made the switch from Ni-MH Dewalt batteries to lithium?

All 3 of my batteries have died (I have the old tools) and I need some replacements.

Whilst the Lithium don’t fit perfectly I know they will work/fit the old skins and I think my occasional use will suit lithium better as the Ni-MH lose charge if not used regularly.

I have a lithium ready charger, so no issues there.

Last edited:
Speaking of tools, anyone made the switch from Ni-MH Dewalt batteries to lithium?

All 3 of my batteries have died (I have the old tools) and I need some replacements.

Whilst the Lithium don’t fit perfectly I know they will work/fit the old skins and I think my occasional use will suit lithium better as the Ni-MH lose charge if not used regularly.

Not Dewalt but I did make the switch from nicad to lithium 19 volt on my Sears C3 tools a few years ago. That was a huge upgrade and well worth the extra cost. They may be good in some applications but imo ni-cads are pretty much useless for powering hand tools.

I bought a DeWalt 12v drill back in '97, and then a 14.whatever impact driver back in '05-ish. Both served me well, and then some.
The impact is still working fine, but the 12v drill just got plain old worn out three years ago. To get their better 20v lithium drill I had to buy a kit that also included an impact drill. I wasn't happy about it, but when I did an onsite comparison the 20v impact drill completely spanked the old 14v impact.
Nothing wrong with keeping old Ni equipped tools running IMO, but if any 'real' money is being spent move on. Again, IMO.

It's not perfect, and don't get me started on having to fork out money for 'accessories' that should have just been included, but I can't imagine being without this one. Especially as a one man show, lol

Bosch4100-09.jpg

Rockwell Jawhorse. VERY handy to have around the house and it gets outstanding reviews:

https://www.amazon.com/Rockwell-Jaw...=1529297041&sr=8-2&keywords=rockwell+jawhorse

I've been wanting to get me one of those...

Those look super handy.

I have a couple of the Mastercraft sawhorses that are in REMINGTON's link as related products.
Not the same, but I love having them around, and they're handy to just keep in the truck because they fold up to almost nothing.
The first set was a hand-me-down from my FIL when he passed years ago, and the second set was nabbed when Candian Tire had them on sale for some goofy price like $10 each.
I keep one set with carpet underpad on the top. Great for keeping a door or whatever with a nice finish safe while sanding/trimming. I keep the other set as they came.

I haven't had Dewalt cordless in quite a while, but I do have some Ryobi which feel, sound, and work pretty much exactly as the Dewalts I have had. I would bet that they come out of the same factories over in China.
Anyway, I bought one of them as Ni-MH and the other as Lithium and the Lithium is a considerably lighter battery, and it is probably better for longevity as well (as in how long they last before not taking a charge). One thing about these is that once they reach a certain level of discharge they stop functioning at all, no trying to drive that last screw before swapping.. When they are done, they are done!

When the "magic smoke" escaped from my Craftsman cordless drill, I looked around for a bit, and wound up with this Rigid 18v Lithium Ion brushless job. Had it for about a year now, seems to work well.

upload_2018-6-18_17-27-32.png

This priceworthy bit-screwdriver set: https://www.br-mannesmann.de/index....ws]=78&cHash=6637a3a8e7efd951d01f5637ac8470f5 The current version appears to be slighly changed at the front end of the handle, but the rest seems pretty much unchanged compared to my own exemplar, which I bought roundabout 25 to 30 years ago at a Conrad Electronic shop here in Munich. Despite it's low price (Conrad still offers it for 8,99 Euro...) this set turned out to be pretty indestructible - and I've really already used it many, many times (for example, just recently again, when I once again had to decalcify my gas-powered flow heater...). Good thing - wouldn't want to miss it.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

I bitched and whined to my family for months before fathers day last year about my 14.4 volt nicad Dewalt 1/2" drill that would drill maybe one or two 2 1/2" deck screws before crapping out on a full charge. Wife and daughters chipped in and got me a Millwaukie 18 volt Li Ion 1/2" drill. So far it just gets used for odd jobs around the house and I finally had to charge the second battery, two charged batteries lasted me a year, they last a very long time but when they're done they're dead as a door nail. P.S. I do like the button on the battery to see how much charge is left.

:thumbsup: Yep, I converted over to that driver style, well over twenty years ago..
When the common #2 bit becomes worn out/chipped, I pop in a new one and I`m good to go.( I keep a replacement box of the common # 2 bits nearby, and just about any odd ball type security bits in a couple of kits in my bench drawer, as well.

Plus with all the type bits available these days, used on a comfortable driver handle, and a small container of bits nearby = less clutter on the bench/screw driver drawer, and the bits pop right into my battery screw driver/gun when needed as well

Xcelite, my favorite electronic repair hardened tip drivers since 1976, and were becoming too expensive to replace as I wore them out, so in the early nineties I bought my first 1/4" bit magnetic driver and haven't looked back.

Plus with the magnetic 1/4" bit receiver end helps to magnetically hang on to a ferrous metal fasteners, with or without a bit inserted(1/4" head screws used in some older audio gear), which is very handy when the attachment point is buried deep in a cluttered/confined chassis..

Really simple tool, but comes in handy more often than you would think--snap ring pliers. I have a set of four of different sizes, and they get more use than they probably should.

Tools I use constantly for all sorts of tasks in addition to electronics? It's easy to overlook the basic stuff, until you don't have the right tool for the job.

A good set of screwdrivers. A good set of open end/box wrenches. Two or three varieties of pliers. A claw hammer. A small pry bar (for delicate work). Covers about 80% of household tasks in my experience.

Until recently, I bought decent, but not top-of-the-line tools. Lately I've been splurging, and I have added two Knipex tools to my box: A Cobra pipe wrench, and
a "Plier Wrench," which is kind of a cross between pliers and an adjustable wrench. I'm always skeptical of gimmick tools, but the Plier Wrench is really useful. Knipex are expensive, but I can give 'em to my boys when I croak.

Back
Top Bottom