The sincerest form of flattery...

Archguy

Official Roiurama Factory Rep
Definitely don't want to mention any names, but are there any SS amps left whose marketing doesn't claim that they offer "tube-like sound"?? I keep seeing it everywhere.

BTW, I own and enjoy tube & ss amps of all kinds.

are there any SS amps left whose marketing doesn't claim that they offer "tube-like sound"?? I keep seeing it everywhere.

I didn't realize or wasn't paying attention that companies were marketing their SS amps as "tube-like sound", Can you provide some examples of these marketing claims that you keep seeing everywhere?

You're right. It's not official marketing, it's in reviews and commentary.
Google shows thousands of results for "tube-like sound".

ETA: Actually, it is official marketing....

"The powerful solid state Class AB 300 watt x 2 stereo power amplifier ensures even the most difficult of loads are tamed while delivering Cary Audio’s famous tube like sound from its solid state output devices."
https://carydirect.com/si-300-2d.html

And...
"STA-9 for tube-like sound, warmth, and fast"
http://nuprimeaudio.com/guides/amp-comparison/?v=7516fd43adaa

And...
MaiA: A new generation stereo amplifier with timeless design & future-proof technology!
"MaiA is offering all digital and analogue input options you can dream of combined with an amplifier stage, that delivers outstanding tube-like sound"
http://project-audio.com/main.php?prod=maia&lang=en

Last edited:
Amusingly, at one point amps were probably sold as specifically NOT sounding tube-like. In my personal experience, the only amps that sound significantly "tubey" are cap-coupled ones with low damping factor. I have a couple, not specifically because of that design aspect but its just how life worked out. My direct coupled amps do not sound like my tube amps.

Frank Van Alstine doesn't mention "tube-like sound" in the descriptions of any of his solid-state designs.

@OP

I see what you meant, well I have some Luxman gear in my collection and Luxman often comes up in conversation with regards to having that "the tube sound"

McIntosh, I'v never see them say that, in fact I don't know if they even do that with their tube amps. The only tube like sound I'v heard is distortion and not something I really want.

Frank Van Alstine doesn't mention "tube-like sound" in the descriptions of any of his solid-state designs.

If you think about it, no manufacturer who also sells tube equipment is likely to undercut his own wares.

Anyway this was just meant to be a light-hearted observation about the tribute vice pays to virtue.

If you think about it, no manufacturer who also sells tube equipment is likely to undercut his own wares.
Well really if the amp is working right it shouldn't have a mythical tube sound be it a tube amp or SS. If the amp has distortion be it SS or a tube amp something is not right or that good. McIntosh amps sound like McItosh if they are SS or tubes. Quiet honestly I only think mac went back to tubes because people wanted them.

I understand your light hearted thread, but you asked a question, so you got a answer.

No sweat at all, it's just like we're rambling over drinks at the bar, only the bar is missing. Actually my drink is missing.

However, is there one example of a tube mfr claiming his product sounds "just like solid state!"

I think for a lot of people tubes are still magic glowing things so if you say your amp sounds like tubes then that means it has some of the glowy magic in it.

My main system is all SS but I do admit that I like the tubey sound of older tube equipment. Having heard some newer gear with tubes, both hybrid and full (Audio Research, PS Audio, etc) I can say that they just sound good and if you didn't see the tubes sticking out you'd probably have no idea that they were in there.

Frankly all the tube amps I most enjoy don't sound particularly tube like.... Where the solid state amps I love share the smoothness, transparency and imaging of those amps though with better immediacy and deeper bass. I call that tube like though. Go figure right? ;)

What is so bad about a well made solid state amp that sounds, well solid state like that their manufacturers have to evoke the sound of tubes to make them sound worthy?

Frankly all the tube amps I most enjoy don't sound particularly tube like.... Where the solid state amps I love share the smoothness, transparency and imaging of those amps though with better immediacy and deeper bass. I call that tube like though. Go figure right? ;)

My best pair of amps falls into this category. Tube active devices but they do not produce what would typically be considered a tubey sound.

Back
Top Bottom