Albums best listened to, start to finish?

birchoak

Hi-Fi Nut
Allow me to elaborate, and to apologize if this is a threadworn thread:

Roxy's Music's Avalon just flows, one song suggesting the next. The entire album has a mood and while you can certainly enjoy a single track, the songs on this album are best experienced as a part of the whole. Does that make sense?

What other albums are like this? Any genre, any time in history--talk to me, people! I wanna get lost in some beautifully-conceived albums!

Totally agree with your assessment of that Roxy album.:thumbsup:

The DOORS album, "American Prayer" is the same. It's meant to be played from end to end...preferably alone.

In addition, Magna Carta's, "Seasons" is yet another to...once started, it has to go to the end.

Q

Totally agree with your assessment of that Roxy album.:thumbsup:

The DOORS album, "American Prayer" is the same. It's meant to be played from end to end...preferably alone.

In addition, Magna Carta's, "Seasons" is yet another to...once started, it has to go to the end.

Q
I will have to give American Prayer a listen. Who are Magna Carta? Also, you reminded me of one of the all-time great rock albums, Morrison Hotel. That one definitely belongs here. If Peace Frog was the only good song on it I'd still like it.

I will have to give American Prayer a listen. Who are Magna Carta? Also, you reminded me of one of the all-time great rock albums, Morrison Hotel. That one definitely belongs here. If Peace Frog was the only good song on it I'd still like it.

Surprised that many don't know of this album (American Prayer). It's just...different. A compilation of some of their better known hits, strung together with Morrison's poetry. Difficult to pin down. If a DOORS fan? You'll like it.

Check out the music book thread...I some times share a poem or two from the Leather Lizard.

Magna Carta
(a Dutch group) was from the mid 70's. Again, poetry put to music in the way of lyrics that describe an entire year of happenings. It kinda follows the famous classic of Vivaldi. A lot of messages lie within the lines with some needed interpretation on your part to fully appreciate the meanings.

Q

Last edited:
Really, that's it? I was hoping to be enlightened by the illuminati! Hmm, it is Saturday night, so I will wait. Patiently. There's a Journey album that works as a whole but I cannot remember the name of it--some of the songs just go with the next one, creating a giant double song, if you will.

Rush's: Hemispheres, 2112 (there are more but this is not a Rush thread)
Jeff Wayne's War Of The Worlds
Pink Floyd: The Division Bell (and DSotM, but that's already been mentioned)
Enigma: MCMXC a.d.
Deep Purple: Book Of Taliesyn, In Rock
Led Zeppelin: IV
Rick Wakeman: Journey To The Centre Of The Earth, Myths and Legends of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table
Yes: Tales From Topographic Oceans; Going For The One

Last edited:
I agree. Quadrophenia is a story, told over 4 sides of the double album. It does describe moods/behaviors, and depending on mine, sometimes I can get buy on one side.
The Who - Quadrophenia. I cannot even play one song from it without stopping everything and listening to it all the way through.

Burnt Weeny Sandwich - Frank Zappa

Speaking of stories as mentioned by @jcamero I would highly suggest

Joe's Garage - Frank Zappa, I'll put that right up there as one of the best "rock opera's" ever

Back
Top Bottom