Anyone here ever buy at shopgoodwill?

z-adamson

Addicted Member
There have been a few auctions I watched recently.

Things there seem to go for big money.

Bigger money than eBay.

And all the ads say that they are untested.

I did two years ago. I purchased a rega planet cd player. I paid $165. The reasons I went for it was, at that time they were selling for way more on ebay, I could do local pickup and in the images they posted it showed the original paper insert in the cd tray. So I figured it was well cared for. Turned out to be in excellent condition much better then the photos showed. I agree with you that the prices are crazy on some items.You will find other threads that discuss about shill bidders upping the prices and then being relisted because the shill bidder won. I haven't purchased anything since because I usually find it on craigs or it very specialized piece that's only available on ebay or one of the online audio market places.

Only speakers and was happy. I've never bid on any electronics, wanted to many times but that untested deal stops me most of the time.

There have been a few auctions I watched recently.

Things there seem to go for big money.

YUP

Bigger money than eBay.

UH HUH

And all the ads say that they are untested.

YESSIREE

I used to peruse that site, all the good gear seems to be out west and the shipping is ridiculous. I don't bother anymore cause I know I'll never get a deal, got better things to so with my time

Goodwill provides a lot of jobs to a lot of people that might not be able to get a job otherwise...

Last edited by a moderator:
I've gotten several good deals from shopGoodwill online auctions. My first purchase was a Yamaha R-9 for $42. It was very well packed with about 10 inches of bubble wrap around it. It works well in my garage. I bought several Yamaha AVRs for around $20 each. They work very well. Bought an older Denon for $11, but it was poorly packed and suffered damage. It also did not work well aside from the mechanical damage. Bought a Yamaha RX-770 with remote for $42 and it works very well. Shipping generally is between $10 and $30.

I have had great luck getting obsolete (non-HTML) AVRs and 80s & 90s near TOTL receivers. I look for pictures showing the equipment powered up.

The silver-faced vintage stuff goes for way too much.

I bought a really cool Newcomb TR-1625M School-type tube record player with a GE TR II cartridge for around $25. It was at my local store with local pick-up.
I think the shipping weight of the thing may have turned off potential bidders.

I have been very tempted to gamble on some record bundles, but checked myself knowing that only about one out of 100 records I look at at thrift stores are even worth taking home condition-wise.

I have bought many items off of shop goodwill. I am patient and wait for a deal I want. Set my high price and roll the dice. Never been really disappointed.

I got lucky a couple of times. A working Philips 787 and Luxman R-115, each about $70 including shipping.

Last edited:
I got an 8 track player from them. It didn't work, I had to go through it and replace the belt. I didn't expect it to work and paid accordingly. I see the final prices on some stuff and shake my head. I wouldn't pay top dollar for something that is untested and that I can't return.

I bought a really cool Newcomb TR-1625M School-type tube record player with a GE TR II cartridge for around $25. It was at my local store with local pick-up.
I think the shipping weight of the thing may have turned off potential bidders.

I have been very tempted to gamble on some record bundles, but checked myself knowing that only about one out of 100 records I look at at thrift stores are even worth taking home condition-wise.

I purchased a large record lot a couple years ago.. Over 1000 lps for $65.. There was one small box that had all of the good stuff. I think 13 pink floyd albums, couple beatles.. About 40 good ones in the whole lot.

I purchased a large record lot a couple years ago.. Over 1000 lps for $65.. There was one small box that had all of the good stuff. I think 13 pink floyd albums, couple beatles.. About 40 good ones in the whole lot.
Nice! I bet that was a lot of fun digging through. Did you buy the lot from shopgoodwill.com?

Years ago you could get gear at decent prices. I got my Odyssey amp from their. Word got out as the years went by.
I gave up shopping on there when prices (for untested gear) started to match ebay prices for working gear.

I got a real nice Marantz 2330B through the Goodwill store in Indy. great shape and had a buddy pick it up and ship to me. $800

The regional Goodwill headquarters is in my town and I can pick up auction items there, so I've never dealt with shipping. My local Goodwill used to have low starting bids, and I was able to pick up an early 1950's vintage radio/phono for $3. Then they started listing all items with a $19.95 starting bid, which is ridiculous for some of the junk, like 60 year old film strip projectors or totally trashed moldy 1960's LPs. If it doesn't sell, they lower the starting bid to $17.49. If it still doesn't sell, I think they put it in the stores, not sure. Anyway, having to rely on the auction site photos to determine condition is more than I'm willing to put up with, not to mention the shill bidding, so I don't bother looking any more.

Years ago I ordered a few items off of it. Some Lionel train stuff and I think other Lionel stuff. Anyway one order didn't include something in the picture. So they refunded me a small bit of money. The other one had an engine in it worth more than what I paid for the whole lot. Whatever it was. But between the shipping, handling, and other fees. Plus yes, the prices are way more than even epay for items. I have not purchased from them in years. Honestly if I could get that much for some items on epay. I would have cleaned up house by now. Also the local goodwill in my town does not put anything online. Only the larger one up In Boise or down in Salt lake. So local pickup is out unless I want something really bad. But once again not worth the price. Heck the last thing that came up I was drooling over was a Coke Brake mate machine. Price was good. I don't even think it sold. But it was local pickup a few states away. Only would have been a good deal if I could have traveled and got it. I have no problem going down to SLC for a day.

Back
Top Bottom