Shure M75B's value?

Trekkie4

Retired Member
Hey guys, just a quick question & opinion on Shure M75B, Type 2 cart... How much is it worth (just the cart alone, without the functional stylus), and how does it compare against M91?

The reason I'm asking is mainly because I just came across one that's on sale for 28USD (with damaged stylus), but also because I would love to get my hands on Shure carts, especially now that Shure gave up on future cart production. TBH, I've been on a lookout for M91GD but can't seem to find any ... so I'm wondering just how similar 75 & 91 actually are & would it be worth the money to buy one?

The value of any Shure cartridge of that era, is in the stylus.

Take any M75 cartridge body (or M91) and fit it with a top notch stylus, you will have a top notch cartridge.

The value of any Shure cartridge of that era, is in the stylus.

Take any M75 cartridge body (or M91) and fit it with a top notch stylus, you will have a top notch cartridge.
Right, got that. But even without the stylus, it's got to be worth something... So the only question is how much ... are we talking 5, 10, 25USD or more?

It's worth $5.00, or $10.00, or $25.00 or more. It's up to you. Just get the one that fits your budget.

It's worth $5.00, or $10.00, or $25.00 or more. It's up to you. Just get the one that fits your budget.
Thanks... Ended up picking that same M75B for around 16USD :thumbsup: Now to find the stylus ... I'm thinking N75 ED/T2 would do just fine, but that's a whole other story for some other time :)

Thanks... Ended up picking that same M75B for around 16USD :thumbsup: Now to find the stylus ... I'm thinking N75 ED/T2 would do just fine, but that's a whole other story for some other time :)

That's an excellent price for it...:thumbsup:

Stylus type depends on your turntable / tone-arm combination. What are you using? A high compliance stylus such as the N75ED T2 or the HE @Balifly suggested needs a low mass tone-arm with high quality bearings to get the best out of it.

Last edited:
That's an excellent price for it...:thumbsup:

Stylus type depends on your turntable / tone-arm combination. What are you using? A high compliance stylus such as the N75ED T2 or the HE @Balifly suggested needs a low mass tone-arm with high quality bearings to get the most out of it.
As much as I like the idea of HE, I don't think I'll actually buy one due to the price tag ... Besides, I already have another Shure, M94/N92E combo for "casual usage", which I'm about to upgrade with N104E any day now (already bought one, just waiting for delivery from UK) :)

Table is Audio Technica, LP120 with standard "Technics" SME headshell.

The M75B cartridge originally came with the N75B stylus. I would stick with that one for your turntable....

https://www.jico-stylus.com/product_info.php?cPath=18&products_id=1018
Thanks, but can't really say I'm a fan of conicals. I got nothing against them, don't get me wrong ... in fact, I just bought a brand new 3600L online for about 8$, only that I prefer ellipticals.

I'm guessing you're referring to cart's compliance & LP120 having higher mass tonearm? If so, I faced the same dilemma on my M94, even back when it still had the N94E stylus. True, it was originally bought & targeted for my old Kenwood KD-1600 which had straight, low-mass arm so I was worried it would cause issues on LP120 but TBH it sounded better than Kenwood ever did. Probably because of the fact I was finally able to play the vinyl without background humming, buzzing & DC voltage leaking during the auto-stop & return automated process.

Nice find, thanks! :thumbsup: I can't buy/place an order from JICO due to their payment restrictions (to PayPal), but I'll use the model name, N75B for future references on other websites. Such as THIS one here for example...

Update
Just ordered a new (black) Technics-type headshell to accommodate M75B cart. With factory AT 95E tucked behind the counterweight and M94 mounted on the tonearm this will be a 3rd one, I find it easier to swap the entire heads than to align carts over & over, each time I swap it out for new one. Also got couple of leftover phono screws from the previously mentioned (and still ongoing) M94 project so things are slowly coming together. Now I just need a stylus ... but I'll get to that eventually ;)

In the meantime, I got a question for you, @malden
You seem like the kind of person who knows his Shures from top to bottom, so maybe you can help me understand. I'm trying to figure out the main difference between two M75 Shure carts, from the pictures below.

The first two claim to be Shure M75B (Type II?), yet they are obviously different... Is this just a visual thing, outer shell design or is there more going on, than it seems? Come to think of it, what IS the difference between Type I & Type II in the first place?

First cart, the unknown 75B was downloaded from the web, 2nd one is my own (pic from the online ad, taken by the guy who sold it to me). And then there's the third one, "naked" cart by the name of M75-6, which according to Shure is none other than older gen of 75C - from what I understood they've replaced & renamed the product line with 75C at some point. But the weirdest thing is that 75C uses 75B styli, so overall speaking I'm guessing that makes it 75B Type I? Pic was also obtained through Google...

SOURCE

Last edited:
Bump & update...

Placed an order for a standard SME Technics-type headshell, for additional 12$. In the meantime, I've stumbled upon yet another mystery & would appreciate professional opinion - take a look at this:

It's a N75 stylus alright, but the model number reads N75-3M ... which translates to 78RPM stylus? Except the cantilever seems unusually thin for 78RPM stylus, especially when you compare it to another 78-certified replacement such as this one here:

In fact, I'm more inclined to believe this one is elliptical, but at this point I can neither confirm or deny this theory. What do you think? It's currently listed for 16$, same amount for what I paid the cart itself. Claims to be new, unused.

Back
Top Bottom