No new music after 30.

AudioKeith

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Personally, I am double 30 and still finding new music although music of my youth is my go to standards.

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-we-stop-discovering-new-music-around-age-30-2018-6

We stop discovering new music at age 30, a new survey suggests — here are the scientific reasons why this could be
  • A new survey from Deezer suggests we stop listening to new music at age 30.
  • The results put this down to a busy life.
  • But there could be other reasons, like the fact we don't soak up new music in the same way anymore.
  • For example, between 12 and 22 our brains go through a lot of changes and we're more receptive to the songs we hear.
  • Whatever the reason, our brains like nostalgic music, and there's no shame in indulging them.

It's a simple fact of life that older people reminisce about the glory days. You might believe you'll stay young and free-spirited forever, but one day you'll find yourself grumbling about not understanding the latest slang words and asking a young person what a meme is.

For some it might be happening earlier than they thought. That's according to a new survey from Deezer, which suggests people stop discovering new music at just 30 and a half.

The music streaming service surveyed 1,000 Brits about their music preferences and listening habits. 60% of people reported being in a musical rut, only listening to the same songs over and over, while just over a quarter (25%) said they wouldn't be likely to try new music from outside their preferred genres.

The peak age for discovering new music, the results suggested, was 24. This is when 75% of respondents said they listened to 10 or more new tracks a week, and 64% said they sought out five new artists per month. After this, though, it seems people's ability to keep up with music trends peters off.

Some of the reasons the survey revealed were people being overwhelmed by the amount of choice available (19%), having a demanding job (16%), and caring for young children (11%). Nearly half of respondents said they wished they had more time to dedicate to discovering new music, so at least for that 47% it wasn't due to a lack of interest.

"With so much brilliant music out there, it's easy to feel overwhelmed," said Adam Read, the UK & Ireland music editor at Deezer. "This often results in us getting stuck in 'musical paralysis' by the time we hit our thirties."

In 2015, the Skynet & Ebert blog looked at data from US Spotify users and Echo Nest. On average, teen music taste was dominated by popular music, then this steadily dropped until people's tastes "matured" in their early 30s. By age 33, it was more likely they'd never listen to new music again.

Rather than having less time, some research suggests we listen to the same songs over and over again because of musical nostalgia. For example, one major study, published in the journal Memory & Cognition, found that music had a very powerful effect on the mind to evoke memories, conjuring up old echos of the past at school or university.

Earlier this year, economist Seth Stephens-Davidowitz analysed Spotify data in the New York Times. Essentially, he found that if you were in your early teens when a song was first released, it will be the most popular among your age group a decade later. Radiohead's "Creep," for example, is the 164th most popular song among 38-year-old men, but it doesn't even reach the top 300 for those born 10 years earlier or later. It's because men who are 38 now were in that musical sweet spot when the song was released in 1993.

As for why this happens, research has shown how our favourite songs stimulate our pleasure responses in the brain, releasing dopamine, serotonin, oxytocin, and other happy chemicals. The more we like a song, the more of these chemicals flow through our body.

This happens for everyone, but during our adolescent years our brains are going through a lot of changes. We're also incredibly hormonal and sensitive, so if we hear a song we really love, it's more likely to stay with us forever.

That isn't to say you won't hear a new song you love in later life — it just might not elicit the same strong response because you aren't such a sponge anymore.

Another reason we listen to the same songs over and over could be because of something called the "anticipation phase." If you get goosebumps when you hear your favourite songs, it could be because of the hormonal responses, but it could also be because you know the good part is coming up.

For example, just before the song peaks, or there's a dramatic chord change, our brain perceives it as a reward and releases dopamine. However, over time we start to lose the same feeling of euphoria because we musically gorge ourselves.

If you haven't heard a song for several years, the euphoria may return, particularly if you first heard it when your brain was soaking everything up between the ages or 12 and 22.

So if you have a penchant for music from your youth, it's probably wired deep into your psyche. You can indulge in that throwback Thursday playlist full of Panic! At The Disco and Blink-182 without shame because it'll make your brain happy — it deserves it.

While it does happen in fits and starts, I find that when I don't have new tunes to listen to, my life stagnates. It hasn't helped that there's a lot of weak pop and Autotune on the radio, but the local public stations fill the gap. Have even started leaving the Sunday night Grateful Dead hour on in the background; I don't "get" the Dead and maybe never will, but it's new music to me.

Buying new music? Ehh, haven't done that in a while. Tron:Legacy disc was probably the last one.

I'm more than twice the cited age, and within the last year I discovered music that is new to me - i.e., music composed for the Russian Orthodox Church - which is now one of my favorite genre.

Last edited:
While it does happen in fits and starts, I find that when I don't have new tunes to listen to, my life stagnates. It hasn't helped that there's a lot of weak pop and Autotune on the radio, but the local public stations fill the gap. Have even started leaving the Sunday night Grateful Dead hour on in the background; I don't "get" the Dead and maybe never will, but it's new music to me.

Buying new music? Ehh, haven't done that in a while. Tron:Legacy disc was probably the last one.

The best way to "get" the Dead is just listen to Working Man's Dead and American Beauty, which are easy to understand and (hopefully) like. After you've gotten used to those two albums (and even hum along), then you can start listening to longer jams. Listen for little hints of where they might be going with improvs, and try to learn the signals they send to each other. Frankly, some of it can be downright boring, until it all comes together.

The Spotify weekly "Discovery" list and the Recommended stuff based on my past history is really helpful. It turns out that a lot the new stuff I find is old stuff that I would have ignored earlier in life. ;)

All part of our musical journeys. Half of the new music I'm discovering is actually new music, the other half is old music I missed the first time.

Personally, I am double 30 and still finding new music although music of my youth is my go to standards.

exactly me and probably many others here to

The Spotify weekly "Discovery" list and the Recommended stuff based on my past history is really helpful. It turns out that a lot the new stuff I find is old stuff that I would have ignored earlier in life. ;)

and the daily mixes

i dont use it that much, a couple times a week, but those 4 list's are so good, i cant help but think they are spying, maybe i'm just paranoid, but those list are so bang on most of the time that its kinda scary.

they do hit the odd "Clunker" tho

The best way to "get" the Dead is just listen to Working Man's Dead and American Beauty, which are easy to understand and (hopefully) like. After you've gotten used to those two albums (and even hum along), then you can start listening to longer jams. Listen for little hints of where they might be going with improvs, and try to learn the signals they send to each other. Frankly, some of it can be downright boring, until it all comes together.
I'd add their self-titled album from 1967 to your list (I was 18, what a time for music). I've had that one for 51 years and have never tired of it. But you're spot on with your picks.

Like quite a few others here, my taste in music is broad. I love listening to old and new. I'm always finding new music I like. I like to mix it up. When younger, I used to think I'd make a great programming director for a radio station, but I've come to realize that I'd be completely horrible, and would lose every listener in less than an hour, because I could easily choose something like Bach's Harpsichord Concerto in D Minor, followed by Red Hot Chilli Peppers' Power of Equality, followed by Merle Haggard, then a polka like In Heaven There Is No Beer, Miles Davis, Ella, Epica, Porcupine Tree, Bob James, Time Jumpers.

"Get that schizophrenic off the air!"

I know, I lost you at Merle Haggard. If you made it that far.

Last edited:
I can only imagine what it was like to have been 18 during the Summer of Love.
:beerchug:

(Actually it might not have been beer....)

The people making music (and lyrics) today have a different concept and understanding of life, then most of us old farts. Unless they just want to make orchestral pieces and shut up with their other ramblings, I wont buy into their efforts.
Lot's of old farts like yourself that you'v listen to your whole life are "still" putting out "new" music. Santana and the Stones put new records out last year. Neil Young and Van Morison seem to put out a new records every other month. I can go on and on but you get the message, if we stop looking or unplug we don't know what's out there.

Funny thing I was at the record store today and a new young worker was there. The Stones Blue and Lonesome album was playing, he saw that I liked it and started to tell me, "This Stones record is awesome, I didn't know they did blues". I had to tell him this is how the stones started, they have been doing music for 56 years. I said you need to start getting their old stuff because it's all blues.

I think like most things audio, we aren't exactly the norm. I have heard several people here mention they don't like ANY new music but they seem to be the minority here.
I am 40 but have always been and continue to be ecstatic when I find a new music rabbit hole to fall down and it really hasn't done anything but speed up since it's just so easy to find new things to listen to these days.
My favorite since finding AK is going to one of the "what are you listening to right now" threads and then checking a few songs out of YouTube or Spotify. If I like the album I'll buy it (the physical copy because I am an old bugger in that I still like physical media). I only do it in fits and spurts as it's easy to get overwhelmed by the sheer amount of interesting music that's out there.

Either you like discovering new stuff, whether it's books, movies, food, or music, or you don't. I for one hardly listen to the stuff that I listened to constantly when I was 20, 30, 40, etc. I've moved on from the stuff I listened to in my earlier years. And that keeps me engaged and excited. There is so much great new stuff being released, of all genres, that if one only goes by the traditional methods you'll never find it. But the payoff is huge. Frankly I have trouble understanding how folks so caught it in audio would not want to continue to explore, learn and search out. But to each their own.

It's easier than ever to discover new material, thanks to streaming, etc. And used CDs can be bought for a song nowadays.

But another way is to let the young people in your life (and their friends) play their own stuff at your house. I'm amazed at how many new good, infectious tunes there are out there today. Only caveat--you have to steel yourself for some of the language. It can be shocking.

I have to tell them, no you can't play that loud outdoors, I don't want the F word blaring out to the neighbors thank you very much.

Back
Top Bottom