No new music after 30.

I find good new music now and then, but I seem to be regressing. Most of my "new" music is from an era before I was a teenager, the early rock and before, even back to the '30s.

What I find really interesting is that when I was a teenager in the '70s, no way would I have listened to what my parents liked from the '40s or '50s, 20-30 years before. So uncool. Yet today's kids seem to have no problem listening to the 20-30 year old tunes of their parents.

Yes, I'm finding from time to time NEW music which I enjoy in other genres BUT, as far as Country Western and Rock and Roll or what ever they call it nowadays, No Sir!

I'd add their self-titled album from 1967 to your list (I was 18, what a time for music). I've had that one for 51 years and have never tired of it. But you're spot on with your picks.

Ha!
My dear ol' Ma surprised me with the first album the week it came out. I guess she must have read a review or something, and picked it up for me. I hadn't heard of them, so I couldn't figure out how the hell she had.
You're right, it's a classic.

Wake of the Flood is very good, too, and one of my favorites. I just gotta love a song titled Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodle-loo.

For those who think they hate the Dead, I've put on Shakedown Street, without identifying the band, and their toes begin tapping with Good Lovin', the Dead's cover of a hit by the Rascals. Arguably the Dead's most approachable recording, at least for some whose tastes are less broad. I've done this quite a few times, and the listener was always surprised. "Maybe I like the Grateful Dead, after all."

Way down in the south of France, all the ladies love to dance.

Last edited:
ADI - Age of Dominant Influence. About sixteen. Discovery ends (the largest sector) around 24. Life interrupts. All others are outliers/bonus. Radio demos reflect this. Bell curve.

I'm pushing 50 and I, like I suspect most people that frequent AK, do not fit into this category.
There's so much music out there- past and present, one could spend several life times discovering, so why stop the exploration?

Throughout the 80's, I pretty much scoffed at Daryl Hall and John Oates-- they didn't appeal to me at all.
But lately, I've kind of taken a shine to them. I have recently discovered Live From Daryl's House, and can't stop watching it!

Here's one of my favorite episodes:

Last edited:
Ha, thanks to cd's being a buck or less I'm finding "new" music on old stuff. Sure you heard the "hits" that group put out but never the entire album. Why? Just never got around to buying it especially back then at $15+ a pop something I couldn't afford so I bought the single only.
Just this weekend I bought 20+ cd's & cd tower holder for $10.
Now thanks to Google play and other online streaming services new discoveries are being made daily. There is an ocean of talent out there.
Amazing times we live in.

Like quite a few others here, my taste in music is broad. I love listening to old and new. I'm always finding new music I like. I like to mix it up. When younger, I used to think I'd make a great programming director for a radio station, but I've come to realize that I'd be completely horrible, and would lose every listener in less than an hour, because I could easily choose something like Bach's Harpsichord Concerto in D Minor, followed by Red Hot Chilli Peppers' Power of Equality, followed by Merle Haggard, then a polka like In Heaven There Is No Beer, Miles Davis, Ella, Epica, Porcupine Tree, Bob James, Time Jumpers.

"Get that schizophrenic off the air!"

I know, I lost you at Merle Haggard. If you made it that far.

Who were you going to name after Time Jumpers?

I'd add their self-titled album from 1967 to your list (I was 18, what a time for music). I've had that one for 51 years and have never tired of it. But you're spot on with your picks.

I bought that the last day of my sophomore year in HS. There was an Arlan's right next door to the HS and I grabbed it before walking downtown to catch a ride home with my dad after he finished work. I'd just turned 16 and needed more practice driving before getting my driver's license, otherwise I'd have taken the school bus home. Nobody I knew had any clue who the Dead were or what they were about. It took me a couple of weeks listening to absorb what they were doing, then I couldn't get enough of side 2.

Ha!
My dear ol' Ma surprised me with the first album the week it came out. I guess she must have read a review or something, and picked it up for me. I hadn't heard of them, so I couldn't figure out how the hell she had.
You're right, it's a classic.

My dad did that for me with the Stones' Big Hits - High Tide and Green Grass, but that was a year earlier, not long after I got a record player for my 15th birthday.

Let's go with either the Andrews Sisters, or In-a-gadda-da-vida.

But we're gonna need some Elmore James and Clifton Chenier and Debussey...

I saw this and suddenly had an odd vision, Elmore James performing Debussy's Syrinx for flute and Clifton Chenier squeezing out a rollicking rendition of Debussy's feaux d' artifice from his piano preludes book two. I swear I haven't had any absinthe for at least two weeks.:idea:

Gotta get this off my chest... I do not like the Grateful Dead. There I said it. Lol. I am 50 and continue to seek out and listen to new new and new old music. I have two older brothers whose musical tastes have stagnated about 20 to 30 years ago. Their taste in playback equipment leaves a little to be desired, as well. One brother has an all in one shelf system (Yorx, Crosley, Aiwa... you know the type) that is painful for me to listen to, but he is happy with it. I guess I am the lucky (or cursed) one in the family who really likes music and the quality of its playback.

I think the culture "forces" this mindset on people. My kids grew up listening to me say "I HATE that song" whenever something I was supposed to be nostalgically bound to got played during a commercial or a cartoon.

The best way to "get" the Dead is just listen to Working Man's Dead and American Beauty, which are easy to understand and (hopefully) like. After you've gotten used to those two albums (and even hum along), then you can start listening to longer jams. Listen for little hints of where they might be going with improvs, and try to learn the signals they send to each other. Frankly, some of it can be downright boring, until it all comes together.
Those two albums were their first "accessible" albums and were their start towards more mainstream music. Also, I heard that CS&N gave them tips on harmonizing for these. Before that, they were somewhat metaphysical. After these, they sort of "sold out" looking for mainstream acceptance but their live concerts were still rockin'

Another durn good way to hear them in a live concert is the Grateful Dead/Skull and Roses double album. A touch rock, a touch country, and quite tasty. Aside from Wharf Rat, I like pretty much everything on it. I pretty much wore out the Not Fade Away/Goin' Down The Road cut when it first came out.

skull and roses.jpg

Last edited:
Gotta get this off my chest... I do not like the Grateful Dead. There I said it. Lol. I am 50 and continue to seek out and listen to new new and new old music. I have two older brothers whose musical tastes have stagnated about 20 to 30 years ago. Their taste in playback equipment leaves a little to be desired, as well. One brother has an all in one shelf system (Yorx, Crosley, Aiwa... you know the type) that is painful for me to listen to, but he is happy with it. I guess I am the lucky (or cursed) one in the family who really likes music and the quality of its playback.
Ha Ha! It's all subjective...it's music! Here's my confessional: I do not like Rush! I respect the hell out of them, like them as people based on documentaries and their RR hall of fame speech, but can't listen to their music at all.

I thought for a minute that we had a 100% runaway Grateful Dead love-fest going.

I'll add the mostly acoustic album Reckoning to the suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom