Advice needed on acquisition of SX-1010

Pearlybaker

So after months of reading through reviews on AK and trying to become educated on the advantages/disadvantages of how you piece together a decent set-up, I got a plan to acquire the following pieces over the coming months/year. I'm not into buying a whole collection of audio equipment (seems like everyone probably starts by saying this), I just want a medium quality analogue system I can enjoy music on for the next 25 years.

I've decided on the following arrangement in order of acquisition priority:

Pioneer HPM 100s (200 watt) speakers - HAVE
Pioneer SX-1010 receiver
Dual 1229 or PL590/PL570 turntable
Pioneer SG-9500 equalizer
Pioneer CS-99a speakers
Pioneer RT-909 reel to reel

My questions for the knowledgeable here are:

SX-1010
Is there a known seller/restorer of Pioneer on AK that I would be better off waiting until they have one available (i.e. pay for bartertown) or am I better to find the best cosmetic condition one I see on Ebay and get it restored through a trusted tech on AK?

I see a lot of "recapped" on Ebay but it's hard to tell if they are restoring the right things on this amp with the right parts.

Turntable
Any opinions on Dual with Sx-1010?

thanks

I have a dual 1229 / SX-1010 combo and it's really nice. I restored both myself. I doubt you will find a restored 1010, but you can find a restored 1229 by getting one and sending it off to Bob at fixmydual.com. Both machines are not for the faint of heart amateur. That said, I was an amateur and did both myself. The SX-1010 was the most difficult of the two since it's packed full of electronics and a lot can go wrong. The Dual is more of a mechanical endeavor so if you are inclined, you could restore that one yourself. I have done two and just picked up another to restore.

Have you considered an SA integrated? Those are a bit easier to work on and have a similar sound to them from the same era. They can also be had for a bit less if you shop. You could get an SA-9500 and test your skills. Where are you located?

Edit: Oh and welcome to AK ;)

Welcome to the Madhouse. You might consider also a SX-939. For all intents and purposes it's a 1010 with a slightly smaller amplifier sections (70WPC @ 8 ohms vs. 100-110 depending on which rag you read. ) Actually I've had both and I still have the 939, plus the 939 is WAY UNDER THE RADAR compared to the 1010. A couple less features, but overall operates the same. You're gonna be using at most 10Watts at most with the HPM100's or it'll sound like JERICHO is tumbling down. Take a look at the specs and features. Not much difference and the controls on the front are 99.9999&4/10ths the same.

My advise is to try to find one locally. I got mine off of CL and it was only a 30 minute drive to pick it up, You just need to be patient. Shipping one of these "Monsters" without damage is a crap-shoot (in my opinion) as an SX-1010 weighs about 60#. I am not an electronic tech. So, I took mine to a guy local as well. I paid $300 for the 1010. Money well spent! I will never get rid of this one.

Thanks for replies.

Not sure I can wait to develop the chops for this as I know nothing about electronics although I’m interested in learning (I found a $20 Marantz SRS-1000 to try recapping). I’ll likely try to take a community college intro course to make sure I have the basics down.

I’m more inclined toward the look of the SX vs. SA.

Will the 939 drive the HPMs adequately?
Is it cheaper to fix and maintain than the 1010 or just more readily available?

Thanks for folks input.

The SX-939 is about the same difficulty level to restore as the SX-1010. But, the SX-939 is usually a magnitude less to acquire than the SX-1010. The difference in price may be due to the credit the SX-1010 gets for starting the 70s receiver 'wars'. It is said to be the first 100 watt receiver. I bet the SX-939 it drives those HPMs just fine. My daughter has the pleasure of enjoying the SX-838 and it ain't no slouch either. It will rock the house. And then, honestly, I think my SX-737 SOUNDS the best out of all of them. It does not shake the foundation, but is an absolute pleasure to listen to.

I have a dual 1229 / SX-1010 combo and it's really nice. I restored both myself. I doubt you will find a restored 1010, but you can find a restored 1229 by getting one and sending it off to Bob at fixmydual.com. Both machines are not for the faint of heart amateur. That said, I was an amateur and did both myself. The SX-1010 was the most difficult of the two since it's packed full of electronics and a lot can go wrong. The Dual is more of a mechanical endeavor so if you are inclined, you could restore that one yourself. I have done two and just picked up another to restore.

Have you considered an SA integrated? Those are a bit easier to work on and have a similar sound to them from the same era. They can also be had for a bit less if you shop. You could get an SA-9500 and test your skills. Where are you located?

Edit: Oh and welcome to AK ;)

Thanks for input on Dual - I’m in Rhode Island. Easy access to both Boston and NYC/LI markets if I find something nice.

Last edited:
I found the 939 slightly easier to work on vs. the 1010 (the 1010 was my 2nd Pioneer overhaul after my SX-790) and the SX939 was about the 7th or 8th done. Layout is basically the same, with the 939 having a single AMP BOARD having both channels on one board, where the 1010 had two single channel amp boards. PWR Supplies both on the bottom and susceptible to damage from bottom cover flex if not packed right. The 939 will drive the HPM's to about 80% of the 1010 will due to differences in Max output (70W per for the 939 and 100W per for the 1010.) I also have a 737 which I like even more although it only has 1/2 the total wattage of the 939.

The 939 is overshadowed by the 1010 for the reasons alluded to by loweran, everyone wants the 1010, but the 939 and 838 are left in the dirt for that reason. 100W is THE magic number for bragging rights, etc. 70W and 50W not so much. Even 35W isn't a number that most people would give a 2nd glance. BUT with efficient speakers they can be as loud as the 1010 using middle of the road speakers. And in a lot of cases more enjoyable. Most of my gear is below 50W with the 939 and TWO FISHER Solid State units (700-T (60WPC) and a 500-TX(65wpc)) over 50WPC. And I end up using the lower powered untis more than the higher wattage units. Right now I'm not using one Solid state unit in any of the systems I'm running. All FISHER Tube between 10 and 30Watts. And most are using Sansui 96 to 98db rated speakers. With the Solid State unit's I'm running them with NLA's or Klipsch KG2's. The OLA's and the KG2's sound better with the S.S. stuff than the tube stuff. and conversly the Sansui's sound better withthe tube gear.

DUAL's are usually a good match for PIONEER's. Cartridge matching to the tonearms is very important. I'm using a 1249 with mine, using a Shure V-15-III or a Garrard Zero 100 with a mx97e on it. I have a SL-1200 Mk1 (original variant with Servo controlled motor) that I use a Shure M95e on. But I don't use it much as it's totally manual. I hat having to get up and doing the return by hand. Both the dual and the Zero-100 are automatics with the Garrard capable of Changer duty.

Shipping an SX-1010 is a very high-risk proposition. It can be done, but as has been mentioned, the SX-1010's poor bottom case design puts the power supply PCB at high risk of shipping damage unless packed very carefully. I would not trust an ebay shipper to pack an SX-1010 unless you can find one that has the original Pioneer shipping carton & liners. Then it should be double-boxed. Even so, I'd have my fingers crossed because the SX-1010 is so heavy: 54 pounds. I think this argues strongly for finding one locally, and finding a good tech locally to refurbish it.

Wow - a lot of great responses, really appreciate everyone’s input and a lot to think about. I tend to agree that locating one locally or through AK is the way to go.

Also happy to see no one has really carved up the mix of components I’m thinking of other than maybe rethinking the CS-99a’s. I’m looking for a set of speakers that play jazz as good as the HPMs play rock (and look as cool)!

Agree with the others, if you can't find a suitable SX-1010 an SX-939 will drive those 92.5db HPM's with such ease. I have one and all of my speakers are between 87 and 90db.

It is obvious you like Pioneer gear, l had some early Pioneer CS-A31's about 18 months ago, they are not my cup of tea in many ways but they were good for classical and jazz, no good for rock etc and lacking bottom end as woofer excursion is limited. Not made for high volumes but good for lower level listening, just a thought.

Thanks to everyone’s input, I located a pristine SX-1010 that I’m honestly floored by the condition of. My system is getting there and yes those are the original shipping plugs still in the headphone and mic jacks. Unbelievable, thanks AK’rs.

Wow, those pieces are in fantastic shape, nice find. As you say those shipping plugs would have to be ultra rare to see these days.

Thanks. I was extremely fortunate to have a talented and knowledgeable AK’r recondition the original SX-1010 with all the needed upgrades/cleaning required to ensure top performance as well as preserve the unit into the future.

LEDs were swapped in on dial and background- original bulbs were maintained for the chiclet switches.

I feel very fortunate to be able to enjoy this incredible unit.

For a PIONEER nut, a 1010 is a right of passage so to speak. A Pioneer nut who hasn't owned and marveled at a 1010 don't know Jack Schitt or any of his family. If you're old enough you'll understand the joke.

For those who are clueless, the lineage of Jack SCHITT:

The Schitt Family
Featured 06/06/2007
For some time many of us have wondered just who is Jack Schitt?

We find ourselves at a loss when someone says,

'You don't know Jack Schitt!'

Well, thanks to my genealogy efforts, you can now respond in an intellectual way.

Jack Schitt is the only son of Awe Schitt.

Awe Schitt, the fertilizer magnate, married O. Schitt, the owner of Needeep N. Schitt, Inc. They had one son, Jack.

In turn, Jack Schitt married Noe Schitt. The deeply religious couple produced six children: Holie Schitt, Giva Schitt, Fulla Schitt, Bull Schitt, and the twins Deep Schitt and Dip Schitt.

Against her parents' objections, Deep Schitt married Dumb Schitt, a high school dropout.

After being married 15 years, Jack and Noe Schitt divorced.

Noe Schitt later married Ted Sherlock, and because her kids were living with them, she wanted to keep her previous name. She was then known as Noe Schitt Sherlock.

Meanwhile, Dip Schitt married Loda Schitt,

And they produced a son with a rather nervous disposition named Chicken Schitt.

Two of the other six chidren, Fulla Schitt and Giva Schitt were inseparable throughout childhood and subsequently married the Happens brothers in a dual ceremony.

The wedding announcement in the newspaper announced the Schitt-Happens nuptials.

The Schitt-Happens children were Dawg, Byrd, and Horse.

Bull Schitt, the prodigal son, left home to tour the world.

He recently returned from Italy with his new Italian bride, Pisa Schitt.

Now when someone says, 'You don't know Jack Schitt,' you can correct them.

Sincerely,
Crock O. Schitt

Speakers cabinets have small initials carved into the top - I don’t think it went through veneer. I was going to try to “reinflate” the wood with iron and moist rag then feed and wax.

Back
Top Bottom