No new music after 30.

I don't recall very many people taking notice of Nirvana's first album.

Nirvana-Bleach.jpg
Just doing the Wiki search, looks like it went nowhere when first released, but was re-released after the success of the second album. To date has sold almost 2M in the U.S. Not bad if you like that kind of music.

I'm certainly getting that way with live shows ... I used to hit 20-30 live shows a year. The summer - it was every week, I couldn't get enough. I just caught Steely Dan a few weeks back; a band I happen to really like I was pretty much DONE by the time they came out. It's just all the little things that get to me - I expect a lot for what I pay for. Just consider the fact that they now have everything from good local microbrews, gourmet foods, and even ice cream. Weed is now legal, so here's me getting all pissed because all I could smell was pot. Traveling to the Gorge or Red Rocks was just automatic. I was there at least 5-6 times a summer.

What the hell happened to me!
I'm sorry but STEELY DAN without Walter Becker is not STEELY DAN no matter how much we diehard fans wish it was. What's touring now is DONALD FAGAN & Freinds more or less.
Just one mans humble opinion of course.
For the record I'm also a big Donald Fagan fan. :)

I think society as a whole needs to stereotype and pidgin hole groups of people....

Maybe that’s why people think they should behave a certain way when they get older. When many people get married and have children, they drive family cars to work as if their status in society has changed when in reality there is no reason to drive a larger car to work when they are the only occupant, because some people drive VW Bugs and sports cars to work to save on the cost of transportation. Though for some it can be true that many people do exactly the same as they did in their twenties for the rest of their lives even though they are married. But the complete opposite is also completely true based upon life’s experiences. Our choices are influenced by our experiences and if our experiences are unchanging so to will the influence of our choices. Then of course many of our influences as we grow up make us believe certain things to always be true. Like so many thought that ethnic groups are separated by different music, food and dress when in reality it’s just a different experience to be had and enjoyed. Though there are many that embrace change and relish a new experience. Through interaction comes new experiences and living is defined by change as everything is always changing around us. The aptitudes of groups of people that resist change due to peer social pressure while at the same time many individuals maintain distance and influence from any social groups. So truthfully this article only reinforces the ideas that all people within certain social and ethnic groups are all exactly the same. When in truth, nothing could be farther from the truth. Look at the Group “Average White Band” a group of Scotts that do R&B music well, when they were on their first appearance of Soul Train performing the song “Pick Up The Peices” the dancers just stood there for a while dazed before they started to dance. Even the media highlights events devided by age, gender and ethnics. Like why would anyone make contributions to a segregated method of contributing to cancer treatment when the treatment of cancer is all the same and people go to the same treatment centers for cancer, but you see different methods of donations based upon gender, age and ethnic backgrounds. How many people think it’s just wrong for white boys to be listening to Rap music when in reality it’s just sound coming from speakers. An artists from different backgrounds uses whatever experiences they have to create music to make money. Since when has everyone liked everything any artist has done ?? Poor inner cities generate crime and the experiences destroys millions of people of which government is responsible for allowing it to continually happen for generations. Instead groups of people are blamed for the problem.....because somehow they are all the same.

Last edited:
Depends what they mean by "new" music. I don't listen to much contemporary stuff - except the odd live concert - but there's several hundred years of good music out there to explore, so I can't imagine getting into a musical rut.

Like quite a few others here, my taste in music is broad. I love listening to old and new. I'm always finding new music I like. I like to mix it up. When younger, I used to think I'd make a great programming director for a radio station, but I've come to realize that I'd be completely horrible, and would lose every listener in less than an hour, because I could easily choose something like Bach's Harpsichord Concerto in D Minor, followed by Red Hot Chilli Peppers' Power of Equality, followed by Merle Haggard, then a polka like In Heaven There Is No Beer, Miles Davis, Ella, Epica, Porcupine Tree, Bob James, Time Jumpers.

"Get that schizophrenic off the air!"

I know, I lost you at Merle Haggard. If you made it that far.

Nope. I was with you through the entire list. However,I can see scheduling being out of sync.:D

Like quite a few others here, my taste in music is broad. I love listening to old and new. I'm always finding new music I like. I like to mix it up. When younger, I used to think I'd make a great programming director for a radio station, but I've come to realize that I'd be completely horrible, and would lose every listener in less than an hour, because I could easily choose something like Bach's Harpsichord Concerto in D Minor, followed by Red Hot Chilli Peppers' Power of Equality, followed by Merle Haggard, then a polka like In Heaven There Is No Beer, Miles Davis, Ella, Epica, Porcupine Tree, Bob James, Time Jumpers.

"Get that schizophrenic off the air!"

I know, I lost you at Merle Haggard. If you made it that far.

How can it be heaven if there is no beer?

I'm certainly getting that way with live shows ... I used to hit 20-30 live shows a year. The summer - it was every week, I couldn't get enough. I just caught Steely Dan a few weeks back; a band I happen to really like I was pretty much DONE by the time they came out. It's just all the little things that get to me - I expect a lot for what I pay for. Just consider the fact that they now have everything from good local microbrews, gourmet foods, and even ice cream. Weed is now legal, so here's me getting all pissed because all I could smell was pot. Traveling to the Gorge or Red Rocks was just automatic. I was there at least 5-6 times a summer.

What the hell happened to me!
The Gorge is an awesome place to see a show!

How can it be heaven if there is no beer?
The song says "In heaven there is no beer. That's why we drink it here.":thumbsup:

I can't imagine that there are too many other 34 year olds like me that know old Frankie Yankovic polkas.:oops: I haven't listened to them in years, but I actually have a few of his LPs and 78s.

Is it that I'm set in my ways, or new music (and the delivery channels for new music) sucks?

I think it says something that people used to spend a lot of money on the stereo equipment that this board lovers so much. People really don't do that anymore. It seems all tied together to me.

It also seems a lot of teenagers these days are listening to rock music from the 60s through early 90s.

Depends what they mean by "new" music. I don't listen to much contemporary stuff - except the odd live concert - but there's several hundred years of good music out there to explore, so I can't imagine getting into a musical rut.
Pretty much the same here. I can't really say that I listen to much modern music, but I have no problem finding "new to me" music. My favorites come from the '50s through the '90s, but I find music from as early as the teens and twenties that I like. I'm slowly acquiring a taste for some classical music, too.

About the only music I completely rule out is rap/hip hop (and everything that even remotely sounds like it), gospel, most modern country, and most opera. I will at least attempt to listen to most other music.

I started out listening to my mom's Beatles records, went through a brief synth pop phase when it was age appropriate, then did a 180 and went back to the 50s and 60s.
I was thrilled at age 12 to be given Miles Davis ' "Sketches of Spain" on eight track.
40 years on none of my friends like as much music as I do. But I rarely hear anything current that interests me. There are only so many notes, and with seven billion people on the planet it's hard to be original.

Is it that I'm set in my ways, or new music (and the delivery channels for new music) sucks?
It could be both, but the latter is more likely.

I know that lots of folks claim that good new music exists, but so far I haven't really come across any that does anything for me.:dunno:

I admit that I don't look too hard, though. I'm just not that interested.

The music forums here are possibly my favorite source for new music. We have members from all over the world who have varied tastes. There are a handful whose tastes run all over the place and parallel mine somewhat, so I check out the music they post. At least half of the new bands I discover are from the music forums.

The lamentations are as hollow as the celebrations. There's countless available new music. I don't mean current examples but all the stuff each and every one of us has yet to hear that was done during the 50's to the 80's. You have not yet heard everything that was done in the past so why struggle to convince yourself current offerings are appealing?

I think the problem is that older people for the most part don't like Rap or Hip Hop, and that is the new Rock and Roll that most of the members here like. I like just about everything but I see that almost every artist now has to add at least one track of Rap in their mix, and many artist that I like their voice and has to add really rude lyrics or the new crowds won't buy them. Every genre now seems to have to add Rap, from Country, Rock, Pop, they all add it to their mixes. I even like Sarah Brightman, she has a lot of genres mix in her music from Classical, to electronic, and even she throws in the Rap, I simply skip those tracks. I do like the old Blondie tracks which I kind of think of her as one of the first Rappers that I can think of, and I like Linkin Park, as they mix their rap with harmonies. Their are a number of heavy metal groups that also do the same, some of the groups like Within Temptation and such.

Last edited:
The song says "In heaven there is no beer. That's why we drink it here.":thumbsup:

I can't imagine that there are too many other 34 year olds like me that know old Frankie Yankovic polkas.:oops: I haven't listened to them in years, but I actually have a few of his LPs and 78s.

I'm 70 and I know the song. A heaven with no beer doesn't qualify as heaven to me.

The lamentations are as hollow as the celebrations. There's countless available new music. I don't mean current examples but all the stuff each and every one of us has yet to hear that was done during the 50's to the 80's. You have not yet heard everything that was done in the past so why struggle to convince yourself current offerings are appealing?
No need to struggle. There are current offerings that are appealing. There's unheard older stuff that's appealing too.

Summary: there's an amazing quantity of music out there waiting to be heard. It's old and new, and enough to keep you happily listening every day all day until the day you die, even if you were born yesterday and live to 120.

Most people develop their personal traits and likes by the age of 5. During the high school and college years, the brain is still developing, but conditions for likes and dislikes have pretty much been established. Science doesn't know why some people like blue colors but do not like red. Its the stuff of DNA that makes all of us like or not like certain things (and music). Once the pattern is fully developed, the accept or reject process is well established, no one is immune.

While its a nice thought to think that we are the rulers of our own likes and dislikes, it is (in many case) a tragic mistake to think that anyone person can be everything to all. There ARE built in prejudices that everyone is driven by. That is why the OPs comment (for most cases) is spot on.

I have found new music (Fleetfoxes, Modest Mouse, Beck) they fit into the patterns of acceptance for me.

BTW, there is no Santana or Rolling Stones at this house. For me, they fit into the "yuk"category.

I think the problem is that older people for the most part don't like Rap or Hip Hop, and that is the new Rock and Roll that most of the members here like. I like just about everything but I see that almost every artist now has to add at least one track of Rap in their mix, and many artist that I like their voice and has to add really rude lyrics or the new crowds won't buy them. Every genre now seems to have to add Rap, from Country, Rock, Pop, they all add it to their mixes. I even like Sarah Brightman, she has a lot of genres mix in her music from Classical, to electronic, and even she throws in the Rap, I simply skip those tracks.
I don't mind Rap, but by god do I hate Opera. Seems you can't go anywhere these days without it eventually popping up somewhere. Bloody hollering and wallering, that is; like cats in heat only worse. It's an offence to mine ears.

Rap is a bit more commonplace than Opera, though, so I can imagine it being irritating if you don't like it.

Opera, though... How does anyone put up with it?

Back
Top Bottom