Today's JAZZ playlist

I could be wrong, but I swear my father had that model car. He was a collector. In any event, yes. a VERY cool car. :thumbsup:

I have a yen for older "bulge-mobiles", as I call them. The enormous finned wonders for the late 50s & early 60s are cool, cooler if they look like the rocket ships that they were designed to imitate. I know some people find them as grotesque reminders of American-ism and imperialism or some "ism", but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

What kind of cars did he collect or were there just many in the back? Did he specialize?

I have a yen for older "bulge-mobiles", as I call them. The enormous finned wonders for the late 50s & early 60s are cool, cooler if they look like the rocket ships that they were designed to imitate. I know some people find them as grotesque reminders of American-ism and imperialism or some "ism", but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

What kind of cars did he collect or were there just many in the back? Did he specialize?

He really didn't specialize. I remember a Nash, a Packard, his pride and joy a Pierce Arrow, and a few older Fords and Chevy models. He'd scour the classifieds and if he saw value, we'd "go for a ride" and take a look. I remember him buying a 57 Chevy when I was with him as a little kid. He just loved cars from that era. He said Detroit ruined the style in the 60s and 70s, with a few exceptions. He loved the 1970 Dodge Charger, for example.

He really didn't specialize. I remember a Nash, a Packard, his pride and joy a Pierce Arrow, and a few older Fords and Chevy models. He'd scour the classifieds and if he saw value, we'd "go for a ride" and take a look. I remember him buying a 57 Chevy when I was with him as a little kid. He just loved cars from that era. He said Detroit ruined the style in the 60s and 70s, with a few exceptions. He loved the 1970 Dodge Charger, for example.

The 56 and 57 Chevys I had could have lasted longer, if they had done any galvanizing of the bodies. Liked the hidden gas caps. And trying to figure out where they were on someone elses car. Buicks and Olds were beasts in the 50's.

The 56 and 57 Chevys I had could have lasted longer, if they had done any galvanizing of the bodies. Liked the hidden gas caps. And trying to figure out where they were on someone elses car. Buicks and Olds were beasts in the 50's.

I remember my father having a Buick from the 50s. Can't remember the model, but it was definitely a Buick. It was Coral and White. That color scheme would not fly today, but back then, I'm sure it was "Boss". Looked like this (from memory);

1954-1957-buick-century-1.jpg

Dude, a Pierce Arrow!!!!! Jaw Drop and hits floor. It is official, Batts, I'm jelly....please tell me it was a convertible, so the jealousy can burn hotter....

I remember my father having a Buick from the 50s. Can't remember the model, but it was definitely a Buick. It was Coral and White. That color scheme would not fly today, but back then, I'm sure it was "Boss". Looked like this (from memory);

1954-1957-buick-century-1.jpg

You are right, no a car today we'd all be chucking. But on those Buicks, the look is unashamedly 50s.

Dude, a Pierce Arrow!!!!! Jaw Drop and hits floor. It is official, Batts, I'm jelly....please tell me it was a convertible, so the jealousy can burn hotter....

Well, I hate to burst that high bubble, but no. It was a silver arrow. He loved it. I remember the spare tire was behind the front wheel well.

maxresdefault.jpg

I barely remember this car, but I do remember the spare tire well vividly;

90a6aeb5cb42ae1905d241d98ea18f9edc001b54.jpg

As a kid, that grill kind of scared me. I thought it looked mean. Those automobiles must have weighed a ton compared to the plastic models today. My father always made a distinction between an "AUTOMOBILE" and a "Car". A classic like a Pierce Arrow, to HIM, was an Automobile. A 1985 Chevy Nova was a Car.

Grandparents neighbor had a black '53 Buick. he only drove a few blocks, in good weather. Grill looked like teeth. Was a beauty.

Thanks for this one Beau..:thumbsup:

"Dave Brubeck Quartet: Brubeck Meets Bach (2007) 2CDs"

Tracklist: Disc 1: ------- 01. Allegro 02. Adagio 03. Allegro 04. Prelude 05. Scherzo 06. Blues 07. Fugue 08. Rag 09. Chorale 10. Waltz 11. À La Turk Disc 2: ------- 11. St. Louis Blues, song 12. Unsquare Dance 13. Lullaby, for jazz ensemble 14. Brandenburg Gate, Revisited, for jazz ensemble 15. Regret, for solo piano & strings 16. Blue Rondo à La Turk 17. Take Five 18. Wiegenlied ("Guten Abend, gut Nacht"), song for voice & piano, Op. 49/4 --------------------

Performance Credits: *Dave Brubeck Quartet: Primary Artist,Ensemble *Russell Gloyd: Conductor *Anthony Paratore: Piano *Joseph Paratore: Piano *Bach Collegium Munich: Performing Ensemble Technical Credits: *Johannes Brahms: Composer *Dave Brubeck: Composer *Paul Desmond: Composer *W.C. Handy: Composer *Johann Sebastian Bach: Composer *Russell Gloyd: Arranger *Baldur Bockhoff: Liner Notes *Wolfgang Packeiser: Engineer *Kevin Kaska: Arranger *Christian Hoesch: Liner Notes *Rudolf Petzenhauser: Liner Notes *Helmut Pauli: Producer *Udo Wustendorfer: Engineer

"The Dave Brubeck Qt featuring the Bach Collegium Munich in concert in Frankfurt's Alte Oper on 13th November 2004. Brubeck presented a blend of jazz and classical music sometimes swinging, sometimes cool and jazzy. Fugues and the blues, waltzes and ragtime forge a unique ."

Back
Top Bottom