No new music after 30.

As the late Terry Pratchett observed, " The only difference between Opera and War is that Opera is louder. "

I'm also in the "Can't stomach Rap" group. Don't care much for country music due to early youth overexposure.

New music can and does appeal to me, just got a CD put out by a Seattle based band in the early 2000's that I'd been looking for for quite some time.

Mark Gosdin

And here I like Opera, and some of it I love, mainly Soprano's. Their is no comparison between the two when it comes to talent and voice abilities.

It could be both, but the latter is more likely.

I know that lots of folks claim that good new music exists, but so far I haven't really come across any that does anything for me.:dunno:

I admit that I don't look too hard, though. I'm just not that interested.

There is some good new music, but I think it's more difficult to find. Once upon a time, all you had to do was listen to a decent radio station or even turn on MTV. Both are gone as resources for that.

Jools Holland's show is a good resource.

I think this is generally true, but not for me. I listen almost exclusively to new music...my appetite for new is pretty insatiable. There are very few albums I listen to from last year, 5 years ago, 10 and so on. The further back you go the less likely I am to listen to it. For me life is too short to be living in a loop. There is a ton of amazing music being made right now, I think some people just get lazy as they get older and don't want to invest the effort.

PS, I am 48

Last edited:
I don't mind Rap, but by god do I hate Opera. Seems you can't go anywhere these days without it eventually popping up somewhere. Bloody hollering and wallering, that is; like cats in heat only worse.
Oddly enough, we're in complete agreement! :)

Despite the fact that I enjoy a wide range of classical, symphonic, chamber and choral music, I've really tried to enjoy opera but to no avail. Same with country.

No need to struggle. There are current offerings that are appealing. There's unheard older stuff that's appealing too.

Summary: there's an amazing quantity of music out there waiting to be heard. It's old and new, and enough to keep you happily listening every day all day until the day you die, even if you were born yesterday and live to 120.
No struggle for the deluded. The vast majority of the music you refer to is in fact not current so there's no need to even consider raising that horse.:)

For me, after 30 I started discovering more new music. It started with looking for music produced by studio musicians from groups like Steely Dan and the like. It helped open up my eyes to different kinds of music and helped in the search for something new and different. People will be over while I have something playing or listening in my car and ask, "Who is that?". When I tell them I get, "never heard of them" and or " I have to remember that". My want list just keeps getting longer. Like I just discovered Eric Gales and have two more of his albums on my list!

The vast majority of the music you refer to is in fact not current so there's no need to even consider raising that horse.:)
I haven't referred to any specific music in this thread, so how do you know whether the vast majority of the music I refer to is current or not?

I guess you could ask "how does anyone put up with country?" Or any other genre.
That was my point. Rap gets a bad rap here, but for every genre someone likes, there's someone else who hates it. It's got nothing to do with the genre, and everything to do with your ears and brain.

Indeed, it's funny how folks here make the same comments about rap that folks made about rock 'n' roll when I was a kid. Hey, Rap-hating people! You've become your parents!

I haven't referred to any specific music in this thread, so how do you know whether the vast majority of the music I refer to is current or not?
You noted "current"/"new" in response to my comment about the same. My response to you was simply an inference that most music was written in the past. Sorry for the confusion.

I still listen to new music regularly; not as much as in youth though. I think I tend to look backwards in history for it though a bit more than looking forward.
I've become the opposite.

In my youth my musical tastes were narrow, admitting only a few prog rock and related bands -- early Genesis, Yes, Peter Gabriel, Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, etc. In my 40's, I suddenly grew tired of it. Now my musical interests lie in constant discovery and change and I'm open to all genres, including Rap. I still listen to my old favourites -- at least those that haven't grown un-listenably stale (I'm looking at you, Pink Floyd) -- but so very rarely.

Any day I don't hear something new is a day of disappointment.

Back
Top Bottom