Today's JAZZ playlist

Roy Hargrove -- Family

Ron Blake, Stephen Scott, Rodney Whitaker, Gregory Hutchinson, with Wynton Marsalis, Jesse Davis, David Fathead Newman, John Hicks, Ronnie Mathews, Larry Willis, Walter Booker, Christian McBride, Jimmy Cobb, Lewis Nash, Karriem Riggins

hargrove family.png

You are forgiven for it not being a convertible, I'd take that over the ragtop. That is style.

He loved that car. Every time I see "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" where Cameron says his dad never drives his GT California, he just rubs it with a diaper, I laugh. That must have been a common expression years ago because my mother once said to my father as he was headed out to the garage, "Do you want a diaper to rub the car with?" Something like that. I was very young, but I remember that. When I first heard it in the movie, I lost it right there in the theater. Split a gut laughing. If it wasn't a common expression, then it's one hell of a coincidence.

Well, I hate to burst that high bubble, but no. It was a silver arrow. He loved it. I remember the spare tire was behind the front wheel well.

maxresdefault.jpg

I barely remember this car, but I do remember the spare tire well vividly;

90a6aeb5cb42ae1905d241d98ea18f9edc001b54.jpg

When I turned 18 in Buffalo and my friends and I could finally legally go to bars, one of the places we went to very often was The Pierce Arrow Bar, which was directly across the street from the old Pierce Arrow factory, which still stood, but looked like it had been in mothballs for decades -- its Glory Days were long past, and frankly, not much thought was given any longer to the distingushed origin of the name . . . ;)

When I turned 18 in Buffalo and my friends and I could finally legally go to bars, one of the places we went to very often was The Pierce Arrow Bar, which was directly across the street from the old Pierce Arrow factory, which still stood, but looked like it had been in mothballs for decades -- its Glory Days were long past, and frankly, not much thought was given any longer to the distingushed origin of the name . . . ;)

I had a business partner that lived in E. Amherst and he rented storage space in that old Pierce Arrow factory, if I recall correctly in the early 90s? I was actually there with him once and saw the inside. I could just imagine when it was in full production manufacturing amazing automobiles.

CJRT for the late Jeff Healey and "My Kind of Jazz". 20s-30s Jazz. I don't make a regular diet of it, but from time to time, I really enjoy the old stuff. These shows are rebroadcast as Jeff passed away about 10 years ago.

Jeff evidently had a collection of about 30,000 old Jazz 78s. More than impressive. Unbelievable. If I had a collection of 30k old Jazz 78s, I'd crawl into my media room and you guys would not hear from me for a decade or two. :)

Kidding. I'd feebly attempt to Rip them and share them with the world. I say feebly because if you do the math on trying to rip 30,000 78s, you quickly realize it is lifelong challenge to do so.

Last edited:
Tom Cohen -- Diggin' In - Digging Out

Chris Potter, Peter Madsen, Peter Herbert

cohen diggin in.png

Another used CD I picked up by someone I'd never heard of before, but, hey, it has Chris Potter on it, fer chrissakes! Not too surprisingly, it's quite good; Mr. Cohen, a Philadelphia-area drummer, was apparently a student of Tony Williams, according to the liner notes.

CJRT for the late Jeff Healey and "My Kind of Jazz". 20s-30s Jazz. I don't make a regular diet of it, but from time to time, I really enjoy the old stuff. These shows are rebroadcast as Jeff passed away about 10 years ago.

Jeff evidently had a collection of about 30,000 old Jazz 78s. More than impressive. Unbelievable. If I had a collection of 30k old Jazz 78s, I'd crawl into my media room and you guys would not hear from me for a decade or two. :)

Kidding. I'd feebly attempt to Rip them and share them with the world. I say feebly because if you do the math on trying to rip 30,000 78s, you quickly realize it is lifelong challenge to do so.

I have 78s, I have the gear....I won't/can't collect 78s on sheer size and WAF. I can palm records off, quite easily...mostly on cool factor, but 78s are a different thing. I will tell they came in handy. My wife and I sat out a hurricane one evening in Houston, TX, (Alicia was the hurricane). We lost power, reasonably early in the evening. I got out my 78s and victrola and we partied on in candle light. One of our more memorable BC events, the next week was HELL, as it was back to 95F and 95% humidity.

Dave Brubeck Impressions of Japan.JPG

Sometimes when you are looking for something to play and when you see a record and even though its not the right one, it gets played. TBH I was looking for that Ready for Freddie album that was posted earlier, I just forgot where I put my copy. Last time I "lost" my copy for about 30 years....I'm hoping to shorten the duration.

Thanks for this one Beau..:thumbsup:

"Dave Brubeck Quartet: Brubeck Meets Bach (2007) 2CDs"

Tracklist: Disc 1: ------- 01. Allegro 02. Adagio 03. Allegro 04. Prelude 05. Scherzo 06. Blues 07. Fugue 08. Rag 09. Chorale 10. Waltz 11. À La Turk Disc 2: ------- 11. St. Louis Blues, song 12. Unsquare Dance 13. Lullaby, for jazz ensemble 14. Brandenburg Gate, Revisited, for jazz ensemble 15. Regret, for solo piano & strings 16. Blue Rondo à La Turk 17. Take Five 18. Wiegenlied ("Guten Abend, gut Nacht"), song for voice & piano, Op. 49/4 --------------------

Performance Credits: *Dave Brubeck Quartet: Primary Artist,Ensemble *Russell Gloyd: Conductor *Anthony Paratore: Piano *Joseph Paratore: Piano *Bach Collegium Munich: Performing Ensemble Technical Credits: *Johannes Brahms: Composer *Dave Brubeck: Composer *Paul Desmond: Composer *W.C. Handy: Composer *Johann Sebastian Bach: Composer *Russell Gloyd: Arranger *Baldur Bockhoff: Liner Notes *Wolfgang Packeiser: Engineer *Kevin Kaska: Arranger *Christian Hoesch: Liner Notes *Rudolf Petzenhauser: Liner Notes *Helmut Pauli: Producer *Udo Wustendorfer: Engineer

"The Dave Brubeck Qt featuring the Bach Collegium Munich in concert in Frankfurt's Alte Oper on 13th November 2004. Brubeck presented a blend of jazz and classical music sometimes swinging, sometimes cool and jazzy. Fugues and the blues, waltzes and ragtime forge a unique ."
My pleasure BB :):thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom