Musical Paradise MP-301 MK3 Opinions

Did you also disconnect your volume and selector?
Nice mods. I have been reading up on that since earlier today.
Thank you for the modding links and info you shared!

Not yet... I was using it with a DAC & turntable so needed the volume.
But my DAC supports volume control and i'm moving my Pioneer PL-560 TT via Lounge Audio MKIII to a Pioneer SX-650.
Once I restore my 650 i'll do the volume bypass on MP301 and control volume thru DAC

Yep that's it... as for coupling caps, You can also go with Mundorf .33, but just preference. I read that .22 seemed to be a more even response vs .33
Thanks.

I am going to stick with the .22 based on previous users opinions on the swap.

I am making a list of parts on digikey.

I will post it, if I can, when I am done.

Yep that's it... as for coupling caps, You can also go with Mundorf .33, but just preference. I read that .22 seemed to be a more even response vs .33
Do you know the part number on digikey for the cap that is under the board? I think it would be Nichicon. Mine needs replaced with at least 180uf. I'm trying to get one order for everything. Also extra fuses. Hopefully I can get it all from digikey rathervthan fuses from parts express. Thanks!

Do you know the part number on digikey for the cap that is under the board? I think it would be Nichicon. Mine needs replaced with at least 180uf. I'm trying to get one order for everything. Also extra fuses. Hopefully I can get it all from digikey rathervthan fuses from parts express. Thanks!

Have you checked yours yet? My MP301 already had a 180uf under there. If not others have just taken the top filter cap after replacing it and moving it to the under side. But to answer sorry I don’t know the part number since I didn’t have to replace it.

Have you checked yours yet? My MP301 already had a 180uf under there. If not others have just taken the top filter cap after replacing it and moving it to the under side. But to answer sorry I don’t know the part number since I didn’t have to replace it.

Here is the digikey order list:

1 2 1189-3417-ND CAP ALUM 470UF 20% 450V SNAP 2 0 9.56 19.12
2 1 PPC10W-2CT-ND RES 10 OHM 2W 5% AXIAL 1 0 0.45 0.45
3 1 338-3411-ND CAP FILM 0.1UF 10% 200VDC RADIAL 1 0 2.24 2.24
4 2 P13649-ND CAP ALUM 150UF 20% 250V RADIAL 2 0 3.14 6.28
5 8 F1749-ND FUSE GLASS 1.6A 250VAC 5X20MM 8 0 0.942 7.54

Should I just swap out a cap from the top for the internal one or order a new one? if so, what should I order?

Here is the digikey order list:

1 2 1189-3417-ND CAP ALUM 470UF 20% 450V SNAP 2 0 9.56 19.12
2 1 PPC10W-2CT-ND RES 10 OHM 2W 5% AXIAL 1 0 0.45 0.45
3 1 338-3411-ND CAP FILM 0.1UF 10% 200VDC RADIAL 1 0 2.24 2.24
4 2 P13649-ND CAP ALUM 150UF 20% 250V RADIAL 2 0 3.14 6.28
5 8 F1749-ND FUSE GLASS 1.6A 250VAC 5X20MM 8 0 0.942 7.54

Should I just swap out a cap from the top for the internal one or order a new one? if so, what should I order?

Just swap out the top cap to the bottom. as long as it's 180uf

Reviving this thread a bit as I acquired a like new MK3 Deluxe a couple months ago, and I must say it's a great piece of kit for not a lot of money. I've used mostly the 6L6 driver tubes as I listen to a lot of headphones as well as speakers, but the Tung Sol 7581a is a fantastic tube for driving speakers. This amp with the 7581a and the RCA "back cans" for preamp can blow the doors off my Tekton OB4.5 speakers. I can barely play any decent CD over 10-11am volume at most. Sounds great -- crisp but not annoying highs, clear and full midrange, and really wonderful mid-bass (the Tekton speakers only have two 4" Fostex full range drivers).

I'm waiting on a set of the cool little Tung Sol 717a "doorknobs" to try this week since I a got a great pair for $20. Anyway, I would highly recommend the MP 301 MK3 Deluxe to anyone wanting a small tube amp or to try a tube amp. Great build quality and sound is super on both speakers and headphones. I know the amp is manufactured in China but the quality of the MP blows away any other "Chi Fi" I have tried yet. It's a steal on the used market if you can find one.

Reviving this thread a bit as I acquired a like new MK3 Deluxe a couple months ago, and I must say it's a great piece of kit for not a lot of money. I've used mostly the 6L6 driver tubes as I listen to a lot of headphones as well as speakers, but the Tung Sol 7581a is a fantastic tube for driving speakers. This amp with the 7581a and the RCA "back cans" for preamp can blow the doors off my Tekton OB4.5 speakers. I can barely play any decent CD over 10-11am volume at most. Sounds great -- crisp but not annoying highs, clear and full midrange, and really wonderful mid-bass (the Tekton speakers only have two 4" Fostex full range drivers).

I'm waiting on a set of the cool little Tung Sol 717a "doorknobs" to try this week since I a got a great pair for $20. Anyway, I would highly recommend the MP 301 MK3 Deluxe to anyone wanting a small tube amp or to try a tube amp. Great build quality and sound is super on both speakers and headphones. I know the amp is manufactured in China but the quality of the MP blows away any other "Chi Fi" I have tried yet. It's a steal on the used market if you can find one.
I just put the 717a's in mine. I'm powered by EL34B's. The 717's sound a little better to me than the RCA cans. They seem to have a little more gain too. The RCA's perhaps have a little too much 'edge' in comparison and the doorknobs have some lively quality to them. I tried the 7581's also but with my Quartets there was too much of a lean character in the upper bass/lower mids. Otherwise they sound really good. I have some TAD EL34b-STR tubes on the way.
This amp really responds to tube rolling.

The MP-301MK3 is the only "modern" amp in my collection and I love it. I replaced the preamp tubes with vintage 6SJ7 metal RCA and the chinese EL34 with New Old Stock Russian 6n3cE (6P3S-E). Great combo!

Last edited:
From a tech that mods the MP301:
Technically your better off if the signal does not touch the wiper and resistive element of the volume control. VC's are a common area where signal degradation can occur.

So if the volume on the unit is turned all the way up, the signal is passing right through and not touching the wiper element of the volume control???

Are those DW's or the normal Omens?
I bought mine locally for $800 back in 2014? And at the time he ordered them they came with the Druid upgrades. His wife didn't like the looks of the speaker so I got a great deal. I also own legacy HD monitors and JBL 110's but I love my Zus.

I just put the 717a's in mine. I'm powered by EL34B's. The 717's sound a little better to me than the RCA cans. They seem to have a little more gain too. The RCA's perhaps have a little too much 'edge' in comparison and the doorknobs have some lively quality to them. I tried the 7581's also but with my Quartets there was too much of a lean character in the upper bass/lower mids. Otherwise they sound really good. I have some TAD EL34b-STR tubes on the way.
This amp really responds to tube rolling.

By RCA are you talking black cans or red cans? I use the red ones and they are much better than the black ones.
Sorry for the color ID of tubes. its sometimes easier.

I am thinking about picking up a set of the doorknobs as well.

By RCA are you talking black cans or red cans? I use the red ones and they are much better than the black ones.
Sorry for the color ID of tubes. its sometimes easier.

I am thinking about picking up a set of the doorknobs as well.
I have the black cans. The doorknobs sound similar but the power tube type has an impact too with the interplay between the driver types. I haven't shelled out for the reds but may sometime.

So if the volume on the unit is turned all the way up, the signal is passing right through and not touching the wiper element of the volume control???

Anyone have a solid answer on this?

The info I got right from the source is turn it up to the 10oclock position. So that is NOT maxing it out.

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-7_9-33-57.png
    upload_2018-12-7_9-33-57.png
    30.3 KB · Views: 6
Back
Top Bottom