Yamaha CA-2010 possible restoration

Hi! I have recently acquired a CA 2010, and want to change the output transistors, can anyone please help with the model nos of the transistors that should go in?

Hi, why change the outputs? Are the old Sankens defective?
When I switch on the amp and start playing music, the sound from the right channel is all ok for 5 mins...then after 5 mins the sound starts distorting suddenly and then starts dying away...This happens every single time I switch on the amp..kinda repeatative.

What i have noticed is that till the amp is cool, it sound all right...once the amp starts heating up, the sound starts distorting and finally fades away...

The sound from the left channel continues to be perfectly ok...So i am guessing that the output transistors might be the problem...

Last edited:
Hello

So i am guessing that the output transistors might be the problem...

no , not at all . Transistors can't be bad and then good when you switch the power on back again. Your trouble seems to be coming from your speaker relais . Durty contacts may explain this .
Replace it and everything will come back to normal function .

Good call by clinic audio. Could also be the coupler/mode switches on the rear need cleaning. If these two things don't fix it then it would pay to clean all other pots and switches and check solder joints esp on the function board as the latter caused a similar problem on mine.

There is a seller on eBay that sells ca 2010 update.kits out of Bulgaria. He is asking 65 bucks for 56 caps. The kit dis not include the two 22k micro farad caps. Is that a good place to start restoration for a noob like moi? I was thinking of buying that and a can of deox it and go to work.

Suggest you also change the vd-1212diodes in these which are known to fail as preventative maintenance
Not..Actually the VD1212's get a bad rap. MV-12's were more prone to failure. I've only once found a bad 1212 in the last 10 years( 50 or so yamaha's) It was in a C-4 and it was causing intermittent popping. ie noisy.

Last edited:
So i dont have the thing here with me now and its gonna be a few weeks until i get it but other than recapping is it safe to say that i should replace the speaker relays? im trying to have most things that i will need ready by the time that the unit gets here. there is a seller on ebay that sells the speaker repays for ~34 bucks each from Germany. it is new and no more information about it.

I have high sensitivity speakers and with 8 watts they get loud enough so the plan is to always just run it in class A. if it is always in class A the relay wont be doing much of anything, right?

Back
Top Bottom