Sansui AU-717 phono section vs. AU-317 ?

Hello everyone ,
I recently purchased an Onkyo M-504 power amp that i have been running through my Sansui AU-717 pre-ins. I love the phono section on the 717 and am considering buying a AU-317 to use as a pre-amp for the onkyo ( i want my AU-717 system back ). I have not heard an au-317 and am wondering if anyone has any direct comparison knowledge of the AU-717 vs. 317 phono sections.
My thinking is if they are comparable then the AU-317 is a rather inexpensive way to get the sound i am looking for out of a preamp without buying , testing a bunch of preamps. I have a recapped NAD 1130 that i have run the Onkyo through and it sounded good but it just didnt do it for me like the Sansui does.
Any opinions would be appreciated20180621_115253.jpg

It depends how critical you are with your phono listening. The AU-317 would be adequate, but it has a different design phono amp which is less sophisticated than the AU-717. I have listened to both the AU-717 (I have one) and an AU-317 (I have restored two) but not one after the other.

A cheaper alternative to the AU-717 might be the AU-517 - the phono amp section for each being identical as far as I can make out.

Question for OP: is the Onkyo M-504 really better sounding in the power amp section than the Sansui AU-717 etc or it is aesthetic (those big meters) or you need the power of the Onkyo for your speakers?

Question for OP: is the Onkyo M-504 really better sounding in the power amp section than the Sansui AU-717 etc or it is aesthetic (those big meters) or you need the power of the Onkyo for your speakers?
Its not that the onkyo is better sounding , i prefer the Au-717 , its just that when i received the Onkyo i did not have a preamp to use with it and the Sansui was close and convenient. My sansui rack goes through my Klipsch cornwalls or Pioneer HPM-150s so the 85 watts the Au-717 puts out is more than enough power , can get to ear bleeding levels LOL. I have 7 pair of speakers that i am rotating in and out of use between different systems , all of which are pretty efficient. ( pioneer hpm-150s , hpm-100s , Altec A-7 , Klipsch cornwalls , Mitsubishi DS-50cs , Diatone DS-35B mkii , Polk monitor 10a )
I would love to find a Sansui CA-2000 , 3000 , CA-F1 at a reasonable price but i fear those days are gone.
It depends how critical you are with your phono listening. The AU-317 would be adequate, but it has a different design phono amp which is less sophisticated than the AU-717. I have listened to both the AU-717 (I have one) and an AU-317 (I have restored two) but not one after the other.

A cheaper alternative to the AU-717 might be the AU-517 - the phono amp section for each being identical as far as I can make out.

Thanks Hyperion , I will be looking into finding a 517. I do listen primarily to vinyl so if the pre is the same as the 717 i should be happy

Back
Top Bottom