My head on the chopping block. My experience with cables.

I have noticed differences in the sound of IC's and speaker cables. As an EE I didn't believe that wires could sound different. Then my first wife blew that idea out of the water. She could reliably under dual blind testing tell one IC and/or speaker cable from another. My hearing is nowhere near as good as hers. However, over long term listening I have developed a preference for certain IC's and speaker cables over others. If you hear no difference use whatever you want. As for me I'll stick with the cables and IC's I use as a result of LTL (long term listening).

I've yet to "go there." Just hasn't been in the budget yet. I would "think" (based on "no" experience) that cables have a lesser effect than just about everything else in the chain...speakers, source, preamp, amp...I guess so far I've put my "money" on those items first (not even so much the "source" part although I know that's critical as well). Cables and room treatments are going to be the "final frontiers" for me, I think...after everything else is sorted out. Those two are my "cutting edge" items...along with a number of miscellaneous other tweaks if I have time/money.

maybe sooner than later I'll try some cables. I just don't have my $hit together enough for that yet, lol. Heck I got a new DAC/pre and my system isn't even put together well enough to let my DAC do its primary job (act as a DAC0, lol! (Currently I am feeding a Bel Canto DAC 2.5 with an Apple Airport Express via 3.5 headphone jack/RCA (analog signal)...I didn't know that port can also output Toslink...)

Anyway, threads like this remind me that even when I think I'm "done" - after I get my "dream" amp, preamp, etc - nope...not done! There's more!

EDIT - oh and BTW, I have a hodgepodge of VERY cheap RCA interconnects, and Monoprice 12 gauge speaker wire...that's what I'm currently using.

Like many others I use Blue Jeans (IC's and Speaker) for most of my setup. There is a difference between cables as far as the materials used / construction and how this will impact your system. I liken it to tweaking EQs though what I mostly look for are secure, quality connectors and a clean build first. And like fredgarvin said, a good cable doesn't have to be expensive and some expensive ones won't jibe with your system or your ears. That all said, every part of your system goes to make up the sound. Have fun but don't kill yourself over this or get in too deep. Some good options if you want to try more is the BT forum or the Cable Company where you can have cables sent to you on a trial basis. Just my 2c's, YMMV. :0)
The cable company sounds like a good option. Thanks for the info:thumbsup:

On my one amp the speakers are really close to the amp so the wires are quite short at a few feet. I didn't think wire would make much difference there and had cheap 16AWG wire on them that I just left after using it for a quick wire-up.
After reading a bunch of posts about solid vs stranded wire I was curious if anyone had ever combined solid and stranded into the same cable. Would it encompass the best of both types?

I had a length of solid wire in a fairly small gauge (don't know the exact gauge) and out of boredom I twisted it with two individual lengths of 14AWG stranded speaker wire to make a single conductor of 3 individual wires. I made two of those for one speaker and left the old wire on the other speaker. I connected them to the speaker but didn't have time to listen to it just then. I wasn't really expecting any noticeable change. I've been of the thought that even if a change isn't immediately noticeable they can still have a possibility of creating more pleasant long term listening experience; especially if multiple minuscule changes add up.

Later when listening to music on that amp I found the sound quite boomy and lacking high end clarity; the opposite of the way the amp usually sounds. Just a couple days before I was listening to it and thinking how great it sounded and on this day it was annoying to listen to.

But if I listened closely the other speaker was still clear sounding; it was just the one with the new wire that sounded bad. I thought maybe my hearing was off in the one ear so I switched positions and the boomy sound stayed at the one speaker.
I never would have expected a difference (good or bad) that drastic.

The cable company sounds like a good option. Thanks for the info:thumbsup:

As Joe indicated, give yourself ample listening time with the cables you try. I have found it can take a while for subtle details to be noticed. Also it is true that there is no direct price-SQ correlation.

Last edited:
Like many others I use Blue Jeans (IC's and Speaker) for most of my setup. There is a difference between cables as far as the materials used / construction and how this will impact your system. I liken it to tweaking EQs though what I mostly look for are secure, quality connectors and a clean build first. And like fredgarvin said, a good cable doesn't have to be expensive and some expensive ones won't jibe with your system or your ears. That all said, every part of your system goes to make up the sound. Have fun but don't kill yourself over this or get in too deep. Some good options if you want to try more is the BT forum or the Cable Company where you can have cables sent to you on a trial basis. Just my 2c's, YMMV. :0)
Right on ! Blue Jeans cables all the way. They use Belden wire, the best IMO. I never had a problem with mine and they get moved quite often into different systems.

I've found the same and started off a sceptic until I tried better and got a noticeable difference. The best speaker cables I've tried are:

1) Dueland
2) Van Damme Studio Blue
3) Western Electric 11ga tinned copper

For RCA's it's a tie between Litz copper and the much cheaper Van Damme silver plated copper. The Litz I prefer with moving coils in my analog chain (gives a greater sense of weight to the sound) though for everything else it's the Van Damme.

Western Electric 20awg IC's are great after Sabre based DAC's too....

So, yeah.... They make a difference just as every other part of the sound chain does.

i am all for the worms and all. but WAIT, there's MORE! don't expect much from cable changes when you have a receiver. wait until you have graduated to separates and things will be much clearer for you.

start with NO EXPECTATIONS and an open mind. when you change, listen for a while, remember the differences are extremely subtle. long term listening, not quick switching will allow you to actually hear differences. change ONE THING at a time. with more than that, you won't know where the changes occur when they do.

put a reasonable limit on cost. i have never PAID more than $100 for an interconnect. i did WIN a $1000 Acoustic Zen Silver interconnect and YES, it is my best sounding one. i usually go for Audioquest but Cardas is wonderful. the Nordost may have had thin sound but this is where you might find out about "break-in".

for speaker cable, i highly recommend the bargain priced Audioquest Type 4. at first, i thought the bass was better on the monster 12ga twin lead but actually it had overhang that muddied up the bass. the type 4 proved to have deeper bass and a nicer mid and top upon longer listening. this was with an ADCOM 555II amp.

remember, this is a HOBBY and you are the one making it work for you. the goal is to make the system sound as good and accurate as you can. please yourself and listen to live music now and again.

As Joe indicated, give yourself ample listening time with the cables you try. I have found it can take a while for subtle details to be noticed.
when you change, listen for a while, remember the differences are extremely subtle. long term listening, not quick switching will allow you to actually hear differences.
Yes, exactly this. I have heard well-presented comparisons by Nordost in the past, one of which blew my "I would never hear a difference" perceptions clear out of the water. Yet at home, I have in recent months upgraded power cords (to PS Audio) and interconnects (to Cardas), and the differences were subtle. With the interconnects, good example. I'm listening to a recording I have favored lately, and at one point while not really listening intently, the bass came through much stronger than it had with the cables I replaced. I wouldn't say louder bass, but it was cleaner, deeper and clearer with more cojones behind it, if that makes sense.

And I heard the same when I had AQ Evergreens in my system--I started wondering where my bass had gone. Music had lost some of its drive, and the bass was thin and somewhat ill defined (and this was coming from the "freebie" interconnects that shipped with equipment). Not only that, they were picking up EMI. Those went back after a couple of weeks.

I thought the AQ Evergreens were a decent upgrade over freebie cables, but definitely nothing special compared to the other cables I've tried since deciding to see if I could in fact hear differences in cables.

Try good, well made cables with no special tweak claims, good enough for me in broadcast station plants, and more than good enough for you, and at very reasonable if no cheap prices. 99% as good, 1% of the price, engineering and science backs it up, for most practical installations you and I can afford to do.

This is great advise IMHO.. Try them before spending your money. The loaners from the Hi Fi shop is a wise move. Listening for yourself in your system is the only way to know. The internet is full of every opinion imaginable.

Just a couple observations on the worms.. Cable construction can cause differences in sound. Whether or not a mere difference, is actually an improvement or not is up to the listener. Its up to the system owner to determine if the possible difference is worth paying for. Higher price doesn't mean better performance. Very system dependent.

A perfect conductor would have no effects and do no harm. Cable construction matters because it can do more harm than good. For instance, some constructions sell the benefits of shielding in speaker cables and solving noise issues that really don't exist due to low speaker impedance etc..

So by building a fat cable with layers of dielectric and shields repeatedly, the capacitance of the cable is increased. To someone who has a bright sounding system with some glair, this construction could be noticed as an improvement. They may say, they "smoothed or tamed" the high end. They may say that the midrange was improved due to the same effect of capacitance and other effects of the construction.

A theoretically perfect conductor would "do no harm". Staying closer to that ideal, doesn't require huge amounts of expensive materials and layers of dielectric and shielding. This may cause a "difference", but it can often be the result of a design weakness, and doing harm technically, rather than a real improvement in the function of the cable. Beware of "differences". They are real and are for sale. Is the difference really an Improvement, or the results of designs selling solutions to problems that mostly don't exist? By doing so, also making the compromises to the signal that also occur as a result of some construction types. More is often not better, and is often worse, if your goal is to do no harm. Differences are common, real improvements are rare. Sometimes it seems that if an improvement is evasive, a "difference" can be sold as the same thing by marketing, and to some it will be perceived/described as an improvement .

Last edited:
Landed here by mistake...but since I am here:
I always wonder who does better brainwashing, I mean - marketing....audio cable producers/sellers or women anti-aging cosmetics producers/sellers?

I tried some Mogami 2549 interconnects. They have replaced my Blue jeans LC-1's. Compared to the Mogami wire the Blue Jeans Belden sounds rolled off. The Mogami is cheaper as well. :)

"I always wonder who does better brainwashing" call it what you will. if you have a receiver, interconnects make almost no difference to you. maybe or maybe not with speaker cables. go to separates and your perspective might just change. as you go up the quality chain, you will wake up.

a vivitar camera takes pictures. a canon takes photographs. etc.

Listening for yourself in your system is the only way to know

Wondering if you have ever listened to ic's or sc's made up of teflon covered silver and what your opinion of them is. To be more exact, I mean, "all silver and real teflon".

I have and have an opinion. I'd like to hear others.

Wondering if you have ever listened to ic's or sc's made up of teflon covered silver and what your opinion of them is. To be more exact, I mean, "all silver and real teflon".

I have and have an opinion. I'd like to hear others.

1. I have teflon coated IC's and speaker cables in my system which is exclusively digital sourced. I have a Schitt Gungnir MB DAC, Linn Kairn pre, and Goldmund Memesis 6 amp providing signal to Focal Electra 1007S speakers. All pieces were in place and the change from copper to silver happened in one move. As things settled in (cables and/or ears), I found greater detail, yet a smoother and more recessed presentation. It has been right at two years and I haven't had that urge to seek improvement. YMMV.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom