Goodbye, Tidal. Welcome back, Deezer.

RichPA

Don't drive angry
Subscriber
Canceled my Tidal subscription. Too many albums in my favorites disappearing from the service (4 in the past 3 weeks), too many dropouts during the evening hours, and sound quality typically below ripped CDs. Restarted my Deezer subscription, sound quality is at least as good as Tidal, and every album dropped from Tidal is there.

A friend of mine had mentioned to me he was disappointed in Tidal's service recently for the same reasons. I wonder what's going on...

Good luck with Deezer!

Many artists are realizing that streaming services are a losing venture for the artist and a winner for the record label and investors. It's well documented in the press that Tidal hasn't been paying artists royalties, just like Spotify, etc.

I'm sticking to physical media as long as I can: "...from my cold dead hands..."

Have not had any trouble with Tidal drops outs … however I have had several with Neil Young Archives.

My Tidal subscription is lossy :dunno: .. not sure if that makes a difference.

When I use to subscribe to Spotify/Mr Softy Groove Music/RDIO … don't remember any drop outs .. if I did get them, they were rare. I do have some drop outs with Siriux XM on Dish Hopper but I kind of just look at as a radio drop out in the car (back in the day).

I'll stick with Tidal as long as they continue to offer military discount .. can't get a better price from any other streaming service .. a real bargain .. especially for some months where I am really busy and can't spare much time to stream music.

As far as physical media .. still spin Vinyl .. but the legacy inventory (pre 1990) is getting worse all the time (in area's I visit) .. new Vinyl is awesome but expensive. As far as CD's .. I have no interest in collecting them anymore. Still play CD rip's to DAP … usually on vacation or gong for long walks in the summer.

Streaming is increasingly how I consume music these days.

Last edited:
I did like Deezer a lot while I did the 90 day trial. About the only thing that bugged me was that Flow would throw in too much junk, songs WAY outside my taste. Just about every other major service does a much better job of figuring out what I like.

Last edited:
Interesting, a couple of times recently I have gotten a message that a song is not available from TIDAL but it seems like it is a ROON to TIDAL handoff thing. It is always the first track on a recording, it skips to the second, but if I click back to the first it works.

What titles went MIA? @RichPA

Interesting, a couple of times recently I have gotten a message that a song is not available from TIDAL but it seems like it is a ROON to TIDAL handoff thing. It is always the first track on a recording, it skips to the second, but if I click back to the first it works.

What titles went MIA? @RichPA

I'm not recalling at the moment. All were classical or jazz. I'll see if I can reconstruct.

I'm in the trial period for the hifi subscription as of a few days ago.

I checked that Deezer was good to go with my Logitech solution beforehand. I've since found out that Deezer has been lazy with the Logitech plugin support for the hifi service offering. Probably wouldn't have bothered if I had that piece of info sooner. The 320k stream is solid so far and works just fine.
Tidal hifi has been acceptable to good with the LMS server plugin. I did bump up some of the buffers a couple of months ago for a different reason, but I'm not sure if they have an impact here.

What hardware/software solution are you using?

I'm in the trial period for the hifi subscription as of a few days ago.

I checked that Deezer was good to go with my Logitech solution beforehand. I've since found out that Deezer has been lazy with the Logitech plugin support for the hifi service offering. Probably wouldn't have bothered if I had that piece of info sooner. The 320k stream is solid so far and works just fine.
Tidal hifi has been acceptable to good with the LMS server plugin. I did bump up some of the buffers a couple of months ago for a different reason, but I'm not sure if they have an impact here.

What hardware/software solution are you using?

Bluesound Node 2 is the front end both for online sources and my server.

Been with Tidal since it started, but they just screwed up the interface big time with their latest update. Just started my Deezer HiFi free trial.

A friend of mine had mentioned to me he was disappointed in Tidal's service recently for the same reasons. I wonder what's going on...

Good luck with Deezer!
Probably starting the long slippery slide to insolvency and drowning in their own red ink.

I have to wonder if the $12 a month business model for these businesses are enough to keep the 40 million tracks going for the long term. It's a pretty good deal for the end user, perhaps a little too good.

I suppose it depends on what it costs them to secure the rights to play the media as a commercial enterprise.

But, if they don't pay at all or can't due to money issues, that is a problem. Also, Tidal was being sucked into the FLAC vs. MQA which seems to be one of the issues since many labels, even though they paid MQA, are not using it. Also, Tidal....

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2018/05/15/tidal-tono-police-complaint/

https://thenextweb.com/apps/2017/12/13/tidal-might-die-in-2018-leaving-audiophiles-in-the-lurch/

https://www.npr.org/sections/therec...ints-and-industry-investigations-target-tidal

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/may/11/tidal-streaming-accusations-figures-kanye-west

And with Google Music, Apple Music, etc. Tidal is fighting upstream right now.

Old links and bla bla bla bla......

You still running around the web hating on MQA? Thought so.

Eric

$ per play is directly proportional to the number of total users of a service. It's a poor metric to gauge whether one service "pays better" than another.

It can just as easily be conveyed that artists get twice as many plays on Deezer than Tidal.
Is it ultimately the labels or the artists who decide that enough is enough and pull the rights to their material when the number of streams and or the the payments per drop to an unacceptable level?

Back
Top Bottom