A strange twist of fate, and the G22000 comes home

kevzep

Its all about the Music
As some of you know, I had the opportunity to buy my G22000 (serious sellers remorse for many years) back.
When it was first offered, the timing was bad and I was unable to raise the funds.
However, I got a G9000 cheap and it took a lot of work to get it back to full operation, but I was okay with it and thought, well, its TOTL of the single chassis monster receivers, they are no slouch!!

A friend of mine bought my old G22000 and of course I brokered the deal, and also did some work to it as there were a few problems with it when I picked it up.

So the gear I was selling sold, but the G22000 was gone and I missed my chance, but I did purchase a lovely mint Pioneer SX1010 which I was enjoying in my Lab music system...

I got a message on Friday, my friend decided to cull the herd......He knew how much I wanted the G22000, and offered it to me...
We did a trade and some cash, and he even very kindly delivered it to me yesterday afternoon....
This is extremely good news, and its great to have it back....
Yep, I was hiding in my music room cranking some tunes last night, for hours!! It rocks the JBL L7's!!

I also want to thank Johnny Fever and TobyJ for helping me look for another G22K.....we were in the midst of working a deal on one in the USA when this opportunity presented itself...IMG_6407.JPGIMG_6408.JPGIMG_6412.JPG

I got a message on Friday, my friend decided to cull the herd......He knew how much I wanted the G22000, and offered it to me...

Nice Kev, it's good to get back and play with things you had once apon a time. I guess it will be a cold day in hell before you trade or sell this one.

Good karma there ! So both Kev and the G22K came full circle :thumbsup:

It did, I am so glad, its an exciting sounding amplifier, it just oozes a fine smooth detailed top end with a punch in the kidneys to go with it!!
Its all about karma and "the circle"....
Nice Kev, it's good to get back and play with things you had once apon a time. I guess it will be a cold day in hell before you trade or sell this one.
Dan, to hell with it, I'm taking it with me when I go!!:yikes:

That's a beautiful receiver Kev, karma indeed! … can't help but notice the guitar picks, slide and cassette!

Imagine the 22000 really brings the best out of those jbl's :)
Nice photography skill set sir.
Best of both worlds too, Mac in the living room, Sansui in the music room.
-Lee

Great news. Glad to see it's home. Turn it up a little, We can't quite hear in LA.

- Pete

Well, you should, it was having a fair workout yesterday, perhaps that was what you thought was a party down the street last night?

That's a beautiful receiver Kev, karma indeed! … can't help but notice the guitar picks, slide and cassette!

Oh yes indeed!! Good spotting, there are a pile of Herco Flex 75's sitting there, behind on the opposite wall is my guitar rig, 3 Gibson Paul's, a Real (American) G&L ASAT, and my very average double neck epiphone (has Gibson pickups, my own electronics, and Ibanez hardware)
Then there is my two green-back 1960 classic Marshall Quads, a 1983 Marshall 2203 head, and a 1973 1959 Super Lead 100 (both are heavily modified with KT88 tubes, completely different tone section and pre-amp with master volume and drive, both are the same)
There is also my Roland SRE555 Tape echo, which needs lots of love, its becoming a bit unreliable.
I used to play in quite a few bands, the last one i was in was a good one, I have done a few Led Zeppelin tribute shows, but I haven't played in a band for about 6 or 7 years now, so I just noodle at home, the G22000 providing the backing!! I don't have enough time these days for being in a band, its very time consuming...

great Kev . Nice move.

It made me a very happy person!! So glad to have it back.........its here to stay!!

Imagine the 22000 really brings the best out of those jbl's :)
Nice photography skill set sir.
Best of both worlds too, Mac in the living room, Sansui in the music room.
-Lee
Yep, I can tell you, the G22K holds its own against the McIntosh.....The MC2205 and C33 I had in the music room, not as good as the G22K, Sansui really did design a briliant system...
I was getting all arty....but the G did most of the work, its very photogenic!!

Well actually when you look at the schematic G22 is the exact same design as the AU-X1 minus the super fast op transistors .
If one wants can easily convert a G22 or G33 to a HUGE AU-X1 by just altering the op transistors.
Drivers are the same anyway, 968 and 2922 if I remember correctly.
I have done it to my G22 and it goes sky rocketing .

Well actually when you look at the schematic G22 is the exact same design as the AU-X1 minus the super fast op transistors .
If one wants can easily convert a G22 or G33 to a HUGE AU-X1 by just altering the op transistors.
Drivers are the same anyway, 968 and 2922 if I remember correctly.
I have done it to my G22 and it goes sky rocketing .

Yeah 2SA968 and 2SC2238, thats right. Have you put the X1 output transistors in your G22K?

I am going to install the 4th pair of transistors, but it wont make it a 33K, because the 33K has higher DC rail voltage, but it will drive lower impedance loads easier without getting as hot.

There are a few more little additions in the X1 for stability too.

Its a good idea though to use those X1 output transistors, if you do have them installed, the amp is obviously stable enough...so thats good.

I put 22,000µf caps in this 22K about 6 years ago, I might see if I can find some 33,000µf caps, give it bit more capacitance...

Kev I've put some sankens4 of them per channel equivalent to those of AU-X1 even faster I think .
Drivers are std;s
Capacitance is being altered to 4x33000μf , and anything else has been risen to a double value as far as capacitance goes.

Kev I've put some sankens4 of them per channel equivalent to those of AU-X1 even faster I think .
Drivers are std;s
Capacitance is being altered to 4x33000μf , and anything else has been risen to a double value as far as capacitance goes.

Excellent thanks, this is the direction I think I will move in as well......I'm not ever selling this, so it needs the best of the best!!

I have used 4 pairs on each channel of 2sa1117,2sc2608, the only things that I had to add were the transistor bases , from a donor unit and the emitter resistors.

Oh yes indeed!! Good spotting, there are a pile of Herco Flex 75's sitting there, behind on the opposite wall is my guitar rig, 3 Gibson Paul's, a Real (American) G&L ASAT, and my very average double neck epiphone (has Gibson pickups, my own electronics, and Ibanez hardware)
Then there is my two green-back 1960 classic Marshall Quads, a 1983 Marshall 2203 head, and a 1973 1959 Super Lead 100 (both are heavily modified with KT88 tubes, completely different tone section and pre-amp with master volume and drive, both are the same)
There is also my Roland SRE555 Tape echo, which needs lots of love, its becoming a bit unreliable.
I used to play in quite a few bands, the last one i was in was a good one, I have done a few Led Zeppelin tribute shows, but I haven't played in a band for about 6 or 7 years now, so I just noodle at home, the G22000 providing the backing!! I don't have enough time these days for being in a band, its very time consuming...

Whoa! I thought maybe an axe or two but that kinda gear takes it to another level. Very impressive and great to have the G22000 in the mix.
So what's on the cassette?:)

Whoa! I thought maybe an axe or two but that kinda gear takes it to another level. Very impressive and great to have the G22000 in the mix.
So what's on the cassette?:)
Oh the cassette ended up there because I was wandering around the house with it in my hand and I just put it there when I said to myself, "why am I carrying this around with me!!
It has Free, Live on it....The Tascam in the Music room is out of action until I order some belts for it, I just did the one in the Main System last week, runs like new now....I should have got the two sets at the same time.....Oh well.....

Back
Top Bottom