Kind of OT , Help with noise pollution

Had a pump somewhere in the vicinity (many hundreds of feet) from where I lived that would convey noise similar to what you describe.

There are numerous possibilities, both electrical and mechanical.

I was hearing a cyclic kinda "crunching" noise at night and finally tracked the source - passive turbine ventilators on the roof conducting just a bit of vibration.

Hi again everyone. To answer some questions....

I have completely shut off my power and it still exists.

It seems to almost be time related , 10 pm - till? Maybe the power demands at those times?

These are big high tension power lines. They cross the property I live on and if walk up and put my head on the pole it sounds the same for the most part.

It is louder inside my cabin than outside. Windows open or closed dont seem to make a difference.

I was thinking some sort of pump or generator possibly.

I live up in the mountains near Aspen, Co. I dont know that anyone else has complained. I asked my brother who had visited a couple weeks prior and he thought he had heard it.

Right now from about 10:30 pm to now 11:15 it was louder and now it is subsided a bit.

Anyhow maybe Ill buy the Bose aviator noise canceling earbuds.....

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions, and humor.

Take your idling truck and run over one of the power lines.

Does it still do it?

On a serious note: sell, move.

I haven't measured the distance yet but I'm guessing 150 yards.
The roof is corrugated metal and I have about 2ft of 8" chimney.

It seems to change intensity and cycle on and off. It is not a completely constant thing.
I am planning on following the line to another location to check if it sounds the same.

My cabin is also not on a foundation and one corner is sitting on a big rock in the ground that may be helping transmit the sound....

I really feel for ya sir, because my hearing is so acute (even with tinnitus) that at times it drives me batty.
I'm always hearing stuff no one else hears it seems and they look at me like I'm an idiot when I mention it.
NO! I don't hear voices...............not yet anyway. That and I think a lot of people tend to ignore the noises more easily
where as some just can't. May have something to do with where they spent most there life, In a city or in the country
Sometimes I wish I was deaf or at least had a hearing aid I could turn off from time to time.
Hope you find where it's coming from and eliminate it with ease.

I think it would be owned by Holy Cross Energy but I am not certain.

I dont want to call and pitch a fit if I cant prove it exists.....

Thanks, I hear things like that also, without the tinnitus though.
Ive lived here for a couple years and this is the first time it has been a problem. Maybe the snow in the winter absorbs all the sound.

You don't have to bitch, just call up and ask for someone technical who deals with these kinds of issues and ask them if there is any possibility that their lines or towers can give off any kind of audible sound. You may get one of several answers: 1) No; 2) Yes but it's considered within acceptable limits and we can't/don't have to do anything about it; or 3) We'll send a crew out to do some measurements and check it out.

I would start by telling them you've shut off your entire house and you can still hear it, and you're X miles from the nearest neighbor, so you're just checking possible sources.

I grew up a couple of hundred yards from some transmission towers, there was a big coal fired electric plant in our town. The only time I could hear those lines buzzing indoors was when it was foggy out. On a dry day, it was hard to hear anything.
Your corrugated metal roof is likely made of steel and may be reacting to the magnetic field from the wires. Although magnetism falls off at a rapid rate as the distance increases, you have a huge target for it. I suspect that the roof may be vibrating like a speaker cone.
Now if they could pass your favorite audio down those same powerlines at a few thousand amps.........

BillWojo

Back
Top Bottom