Hi-fi with uncommon features or tricks?

birchoak

Hi-Fi Nut
This thread is for any hi-fi component that has an uncommon feature. It need not be a rare, one-of-a-kind thing, just something that tickles your fancy. Here are some examples:

1. Bose Spatial Control Receiver. Bose can be a four-letter word here, for better or for worse, but the original 100 watt Spatial Control Receiver had a very cool trick. After flipping an innocent-looking switch on the rear panel, you could turn the receiver on and off merely by touching any two adjacent letters on the Bose emblem on the front panel. This gentle touch would activate a rather large solenoid inside the case, awakening the beast.

2. NAD 7000 Monitor Series Receiver. Every time you turn the 7000 on, it automatically reverts to LOW LEVEL listening, effectively protecting the amp and speakers from accidental high volume at startup. While some may find this feature irksome, I welcome it and wish more hi-fi equipment had this kind of intelligent design.

3. Scott R74S Receiver. This receiver, which I'll wager most people have not seen, let alone heard, is a gem. If you get the chance to slide out the top cover on an R74S, you will find that the inside is virtually dust-free because there are no vents in the lid. "But it will cook itself to death!," I hear you yelling. Well, the lid is solid aluminum, as is the entire internal chassis, and Scott mounted the output transistors on big heat sinks on the rear panel. It has never overheated. It also has an IEC power inlet so changing power cords is very easy.

4. Yamaha CR-800 (I believe the CR-1000 and CR-600 share these features, too). Don't you hate negotiating horrible, dense tangles of wiring, tuner dial stringing precariously close to things that need soldering, and overall, cramped working conditions in a chassis? The CR-800 has special red screws on its chassis. Once they are removed, you can swivel the entire front face, tuning dial and all, forward and away from the rest of the innards. The rear panel does the same thing.

Tell us about some cool features on your gear!

Audio Research SP20 preamp has adjustable resistance accessible from the remote for use with moving coil cartridges. Switching between vinyl and a CD version of the same content helped optimize the setting. It also contains a meter for tube usage.

VTL MB-450 mono block amps - have switchable tetrode/triode operation. Tetrode offers higher power and better top end response while triode delivers superior midrange resolution for more intimate genres.

BTW, I loved that episode of Johnny Quest!

Audio Research SP20 preamp has adjustable resistance accessible from the remote for use with moving coil cartridges. Switching between vinyl and a CD version of the same content helped optimize the setting. It also contains a meter for tube usage.

VTL MB-450 mono block amps - have switchable tetrode/triode operation. Tetrode offers higher power and better top end response while triode delivers superior midrange resolution for more intimate genres.

BTW, I loved that episode of Johnny Quest!
You get my avatar! That was one of the first times I remember being scared $h!tless--I was very young. We have good taste in cartoons!

A few of mine; Larger Polk SDA's take an out of phase signal from each channel and sends it to an array of drivers on the outside of the opposite speaker to create a larger than normal yet detailed soundstage.
Proton D1200 power amp; 100 wpc power amp with 7.2 db of headroom; the little 100 wpc amp that can put out several hundred wpc if call upon to do so.
Mcintosh 4100 receiver; one of the very few receivers out there that has no problem with a 2 ohm load
Gone but not forgotten would be my old Mcintosh mc2500's; I found it somewhat unusual that ratings for 1/2ohm loads bridged are stenciled in their top covers. I don't believe there's many amps around capable of that load in bridged mode

A few of mine; Larger Polk SDA's take an out of phase signal from each channel and sends it to an array of drivers on the outside of the opposite speaker to create a larger than normal yet detailed soundstage.
Proton D1200 power amp; 100 wpc power amp with 7.2 db of headroom; the little 100 wpc amp that can put out several hundred wpc if call upon to do so.
Mcintosh 4100 receiver; one of the very few receivers out there that has no problem with a 2 ohm load
Gone but not forgotten would be my old Mcintosh mc2500's; I found it somewhat unusual that ratings for 1/2ohm loads bridged are stenciled in their top covers. I don't believe there's many amps around capable of that load in bridged mode
I have a Proton D1200, too--it is insanely heavy for its size!

More in the novelty category, my Sanyo Plus T35 tuner and Plus 55 receiver have a floating digital frequency display that moves along with the dial pointer. It's pretty cool.

This thread is for any hi-fi component that has an uncommon feature.

Okay, this is a great idea for a thread, OP. I love James Bond type stuff, and so even do a lot of non-audiophiles.

Same w/ cars. Even people who don't care about cars love the 'gizmo appeal' of something they've never seen.

:lurk:

Well not really imo as they weigh in at about 35lbs. I have a Mcintosh MC2125 which puts out 125wpc and is close to the same size as the 1200 and weighs 65lbs without the woodcase. Now that's insanely heavy I think for a 125 watt amp
Ok, moderately insanely heavy for its size. I've never seen any McIntosh stuff in person but I know it's supposed to be very good. And heavy, apparantly.

Sequerra FM tuner. It had a scope equivalent where you could see other stations along side the station you were trying to pull in. That way you could tune an antenna to minimize the adjacent station interference.
It cost a ton but the existing ones go for even more. The original came out in the 70's or 80's.

Sequerra FM tuner. It had a scope equivalent where you could see other stations along side the station you were trying to pull in. That way you could tune an antenna to minimize the adjacent station interference.
It cost a ton but the existing ones go for even more. The original came out in the 70's or 80's.

Okay that deserves a photo or two. Very very cool. Me want!!

SeqModel1.jpg

SequerraFM1laterbrochure-page3-custom-size-600-464.jpg

I have a Yamaha CD changer that has its own headphone amp, with volume control and equalizer settings, all controllable with the remote. So if I come home late at night and want to listen with my headphones, I don't have to turn on the receiver and I can still tweak the sound. Definitely good for the electric bill, and with a modern bluetooth dongle and BT headphones, I can walk into the kitchen and get a snack and not have my music interrupted.

That particular changer also has the ability to interface with another one and the system (shuffle function, etc) would treat them as one unit. So you essentially had one 10 disc changer - this was long before those 100 and 200 disc changers came along a little later.

Okay that deserves a photo or two. Very very cool. Me want!!

SeqModel1.jpg

SequerraFM1laterbrochure-page3-custom-size-600-464.jpg
If you want, it could cost into the $15k to $20k by now. It was around $2500 when new. I had a chance but settled on Crown FM-1 instead.
It was around $1k then. It worked for a week then blew out. Crown paid for a rebuild and shipping both ways. From Chi. burbs to Mishawaka isn't too far.

Pretty much anything Carver, eh. <G>

How about the dedicated L+R and L-R jacks on the H9AV?

back-panel.jpg

I use the L+R to drive a center channel for my quad system ...

(And ya, I know. I got the color coding on the jacks all wrong during the upgrades ... so sue me. ;-}

Back
Top Bottom