Is Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers the best live band ever?

In the 60s there was a dive dance hall in Minneapolis called the New City Opera House. My older brother snuck me in there one night in '68 (I was 18, drinking age was 21) and a band called Cream was playing. Yes it was Cream, all those years ago. Acoustics we're terrible in that tiny place, I had no idea who these 3 guys were, but I've never forgotten it. Only because I was there do I rate it as a "best" live show from my memory. Amazingly, I've located the poster online:

CreamPostersteverichardson.jpg

I just saw this thread and in my opinion yes with out a doubt. He started in the 70's and 4 and a half decades later still packs out the large venues. Lots of bands either broke up or are still playing but not the same type of crowd. Not only that but most of his albums he was putting out were still legit today and even the young folks today liked him. I do agree his live stuff is so good. That Pack Up The Plantation was really great. I know I am a little biased because he is my favorite rock and roll artist. I do think he would have to be in the conversation of greatest of all time due to the length of his career and all the good music he put out. I actually was able to meet his band here in Kansas City in the 80's when he was touring with Bob Dylan great group of guys. I did not get to meet Tom but his band was pretty cool. I also have to say of all the live shows I have seen his were the best.

Stevie Ray Vaughn. It's all so subjective

Of course it is. And venue is everything. I've walked out of Rolling Stones concerts in big arenas and stayed until the sun was up to see acts in bars.
Speaking of SRV, the first 3 times I saw him was in bars. First time he had no records out yet, but heard he was really good. Amazing show, I thought he was going to destroy his guitar the first time, he was bending the neck against his amp, and was throwing it on the ground and beating it. I couldn't believe what I was seeing or hearing. He did a few Hendrix tunes in a row. My eyes were watering because I was unable to blink. Probably about 10 feet away. Sure enough, the next show he pulled nearly the same stunts.
I saw U2 in a gym. Early days, I think Boy had just come out. Tickets available at the door the night of the show.
Saw The Band in a nightclub. They were fantastic.

It all depends on what you are into. I can't imagine Petty would have played in any place I would want to go to.
OTOH we have a couple outdoor places near me, Wolf Trap and Merriweather Post, that attract some big names and are still intimate enough for me to enjoy.

Well, Iron Maiden kick ass live, but it's not them. I saw Van Halen in 1995 and they were SO tight it was amazing. I saw them in 2004 and they were awful. Both were Hagar shows. I also caught them once with Roth and once with Cherone and those were good shows, but that 1995 show was stunning. The cure were great both times I caught them. Who was the best ever?

I can answer this question with certainty. Over the course of his career, the backing musicians for Bob Dylan included Mike Bloomfield, The Band, Eric Clapton, Mark Knopfler, Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, The Grateful Dead (Unfortunately) and many others. That said, the musicians he has had backing him for the last 20 or so years are absolutely remarkable. Why is that? Because Dylan is crazy. His band doesn't know from one moment to the next what he's going to want to do. He takes his classics and turns them into waltzes, country songs, Jazz songs, blues numbers. He changes the time signatures of the songs at the drop of a hat. I saw him back in 2005 and I didn't recognize most of the songs until he started singing the lyrics. For instance, I would hear something thinking it might be new, then "Oh, that's Like A Rolling Stone". Interesting.

Honestly, I don't want to insult anyone's tastes or musical sensibilities, but I don't understand how the Grateful Dead got a recording contract. I'm also baffled when someone says that they enjoy Aretha Franklin's voice. I just don't understand. If hell exists, I'm sure that they will pipe in an extended Dead jam with Aretha's guest vocals and a guest spot from Green Day. Billy Joe Armstrong will be standing there explaining that he really is "punk". Then he'll point to his colored hair, nose ring and black fingernail polish as "proof" that he is punk. Afterwards he'll play one of his awful songs. At this point I vomit and strain to remember what the Ramones sounded like. Yes, that would be hell.

The dust on James’ pants from the knee-drops had more stagecraft than Tom Petty. (And I liked Tom Petty.)

Last edited:
I gotta say "No" without ever even hearing them live (and I'm a fan). I've seen 10 bands (at least) that were the best live band I've ever seen and no way to call any of them the best live band ever. I can't even put the shows in order of best to worst. I've seen bands I didn't even like, that after seeing them live, I was awestruck.
Talking heads "Remain in light" tour 1980. I HATED them. I only went begrudgingly for free so a friend of mine didn't have to go alone. Holey Crap. Amazing energy and performance. Didn't hate them anymore.
Peter Gabriel "So" tour (The album with "Sledgehammer") Amazing band with Tony Levin et. al.
Mister Bungle "California" tour
Frank Zappa multiple times
Los Lobos
Funkadelic
Red Hot Chili Peppers right when Frusciante first joined (in a very small club in Detroit)
Dizzy Gillespie. No joke.
Lionel Hampton-These old-school guys knew how to put on a show.
Jeff Beck and Stevie Ray Vaughn touring together. I was sick of Stevie Ray and went to see JeffBeck with the intention of leaving. Stevie had just gotten sober and absolutely killed. No way I could leave.

That's 10, and I could keep going. I have a lot of respect for Tom Petty- great songwriter and great band. They just can't touch the bands listed above in their prime.

Actually, it's (was) The Clash, hang on, Toy Love, nope, The Birthday Party, really, 6 Volts on a great day, all too loud, My Little Airport, so good la, etc. etc. etc. ad infinitum

It all just really comes down to what one likes. I never saw Merle Haggard in person but I bet if I did that would have been one of my favorite live performances. Not so much for any other reason than I just really like his music. I do really like a group called Shovels and Rope. It is a two person group of husband and wife. I saw them twice in small venues and I have to say it was really great. Again I think lots of it just comes down to who the listener likes. I do think Bob Dylan is really good. I got to talk to him when he was touring with Petty. He was a really nice guy. The good thing for all of us is there are lots of great live performers that sound good.

For me Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band were better live. Some of his studio stuff sounds so much different.

If it could be done, I would pay $10,000, cash on the barrelhead, to hop in a time machine and see the original lineup at one of those '71 Fillmore East shows. I'd loot my retirement fund. There is some Youtube video of those shows.

I hear you.....I would hock boat, cars etc to see the original crew!

Depends on what you want from a live show. If you love a band’s music then obviously the show is going to mean something to you.

I like a little spectacle in a show. I’d put the Flaming Lips in the top 5 of all concerts I’ve even seen and I didn’t own a single recording by them when I saw them...

If practice makes perfect I figure the Dead and the Stones have it hands down, honorable mention to Frank Zappa's bands.

As a teen I had the opportunity to see The Allman Brothers Band early version with Duane Allman. Wishbone Ash was the opening act. Bad Finger with the Atlanta Rhythm Section as the opening act was not too shabby either.

Last edited:
This is as subjective a question as could ever be considered.
But for me, Hell no, Tom Petty? I have seen a ton of shows, and his band is a long ways away from what I look for at a live venue.
First of all, give me some excellent musicians, great songs, and live energy:
Mahavishnu Orchestra, Jean-Luc Ponty, Return to Forever, Dixie Dregs, Jeff Beck and the Jan Hammer group, Chick Corea's Electrik Band, The Crusaders, Jethro Tull, UK, King Crimson, Chicago, Earth Wind and Fire, Umphrey's McGee, Toto, Alice Cooper, Rush, Frank Zappa, just to name a few.
I guess if you are a fan of radio rock, Petty gives you the hits, like Steve Miller Band, Fleetwood Mac, Journey, and so on.

Back
Top Bottom