Is it worth the cost to have "overhauled" a Heathkit W-5M Mono Tube Amp ?

SixCats!

Hi all,

I have an VERY nice (physical condition) Heathkit W-5M Mono Tube Amp that has been in storage for years (since I acquired it not working many years ago). This unit has it's Cage (with Badges) and came equipped with original Gold Lion KT 66 Tubes (which tested good). That being said, the OP Transformer is bad
(which I understand is rather common) to this unit. IF, if not TOO costly, I would consider having the Amp "updated/overhauled". Of course, I would then have to find/purchase a "Mono" Preamp (suggestions ?) and use in one of my Mono systems and/or, later purchase a second W-5M and use a Stereo Pre-amp.
Any thoughts/suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

SixCats!

They're pretty nice.
For me , mono really serves no purpose though some here have mono set ups. I think its worthy but you need to find it a brother. Depending on where you are, maybe a local aker can help you out with the rebuild. Or... you can do it yourself and we can ride shotgun. My 2c

PS
You probably would be well served to become an AK subscriber and put a WTB ad in the Barter Town Forum. A lot of people here have large oddball collections of stuff (maybe your potential other wm5)

I agree. I know someone who has a pair of peerless 609 OTs.
And the PT also goes bad mostly because of heat.

I rebuild a pair a couple of years ago. Very nice sounding amp.

The coupling caps 1uf 400V are the one failing and damaging the amp due to their low voltage rating.
Install a 1uf 600V and you'll be fine. Here is pic of mine.

I installed Russian's cap. I have a full box so I could give you 4 if you like, you just pay shipping.
Here is how mine looked like at the end.

Attachments

• IMG_3505.JPG
    IMG_3505.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 71
In my opinion, no. It is not a worthwhile amp to sink money into.
Why? Because both of the transformers have known and real reliability issues.

That being said, it has been argued that most people "restoring" that amp "don't really know what they're doing" and that a proper restoration strays from the original Heath design. Said variation is supposed to protect both transformers to make it a more reliable amp.

Even with circuit modifications, I still don't trust those transformers. If you must own and operate a W-5M, I think you should keep spare transformers much like you keep spare tubes.

I have five of those amps, none tested by myself with pairs of the different OPT's. I was going to restore them all but decided to drop the project and sink my money into a more reliable amp. One of these days I'll list them all as "one lot" for local pickup only in the market place.

Reliability is important to me and I think that amp is a money pit.

The Heathkit W-5M is a great sounding amplifier which would make a great addition to a MONO setup. Good luck with your project.

Heath WA-2 was most likely the pre amp of choice with this amp... Amp should have an octal socket to power the pre...

Hi all,

I very much appreciate all your thoughts and suggestions. I'm going to have to really "reflect" on this one! Thanks again for all the help.

SixCats!

Heath WA-2 was most likely the pre amp of choice with this amp... Amp should have an octal socket to power the pre...
The WA-P2 is a likely companion. I use one myself in my main system. If you do use the WA-P2 for line level, it should work out fine for you, however; if you intend to use it with a turntable, I recommend using an external power supply with DC filament voltage. That is what I do in my system.

Heathkit WA-P2 with external regulated power supply
Sys 3.JPG

Heathkit WA-P2 and Heathkit W4-AM in MONO music system.
Heathkit System II.JPG

Last edited:
Hi all,

I have an VERY nice (physical condition) Heathkit W-5M Mono Tube Amp that has been in storage for years (since I acquired it not working many years ago). This unit has it's Cage (with Badges) and came equipped with original Gold Lion KT 66 Tubes (which tested good). That being said, the OP Transformer is bad
(which I understand is rather common) to this unit. IF, if not TOO costly, I would consider having the Amp "updated/overhauled". Of course, I would then have to find/purchase a "Mono" Preamp (suggestions ?) and use in one of my Mono systems and/or, later purchase a second W-5M and use a Stereo Pre-amp.
Any thoughts/suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

SixCats!
This amp should be derated during refurb to insure the Peerless opt longevity, if it's still good. Threads on this exist.

Last edited:
This amp should be derated during refurb to insure the Peerless opt longevity, if it's still good. Threads on this exist.
What do you mean by derated? Is there a specific modification that you have done to derate a W-5M?

Not me, but others have. Essentially, lowering B voltages to get rid of overstressing the Peerless opt to self destruction.

Back
Top Bottom