Console with TV, use CRT to display audio signal?

Some of the visuals built into windows media player from XP onwards gave some very cool effects- almost limitless patterns. I remember hooking up a projector to the laptop and audio and aiming it at the roof of my warehouse apartment back in the day...

Yeah john, I`ve encountered those computer based acid trip visuals before..
I forgot about that feature, thanks for reminding me.
Take care Sir.
Kind regards, OKB

Interesting, I have a external USB connected to my A/V rack`s lap-top 40 MHZ. scope for checking my L/R sources/ feeds and watching color Lissajous X/Y displays on the 1 of 4 selected video channels that feeds 5 separate room`s flat screens + the living room`s 120" projector screen for wow factor entertainment purposes, via a SVGA distribution system fed from the rack`s lap-top`s HD-15 output port.

Look Ma !! No CRT`s to weaken or fail, or center display burn spots, and since the lap-top is usually running WAV. music anyway, also feeding the whole house audio distribution and NWS radar, it was a no brainer to buy a decent PC scope for routinely checking the system, or trouble shooting it.

Why not wow your guests with XY stereo phase visual displays("exploding galaxy`s") of the music being listened to?

As visually captivating/engrossing as staring at a fire, or waves on the beach, alcohol and or smoke seems to enhance the pleasure with fireworks display appreciative noises, often heard from some guests when "observing" some of the better Spacial stereo musical selections patterns, like Pink Floyd`s DSOTM..
Sure beats watching same on a little green 4~5" CRT on a bench scope, Marantz or a Mac MPI.

Back in the late nineties to get a similar display, I would pull out my backup Tek scope, and setup and align a 3 chip Sony composite video camera up in front of the scope and feed it into my house`s composite video distribution system for the Lissajous display..
This current method is so much better display quality, and is easy peasy.
Who says you can`t also watch, as well as listen to your music ?

Enjoy it all as you see folks.

Kind regards, OKB
As per post #14.

As per post #14.

Yes Sir. you most certainly did, but, though I gave you a like on # 14, prior to my post, I was uncertain of your method/s.
And am not savvy to possible different methods, outside my stated experience/methods.

Take care, Pio1980.

Kind regards, OKB

Yes Sir. you most certainly did, but, though I gave you a like on # 14, prior to my post, I was uncertain of your method/s.
And am not savvy to possible different methods, outside my stated experience/methods.

Take care, Pio1980.

Kind regards, OKB
Indeed! You are first to pick up on it.
Had decades back thought about getting one of those Magnavox game consoles and figuring out how to modify it to do this, but never acted on it.

There are now far more powerful inexpensive processor modules to adapt for audio to video display, unfortunately outside my area of adeptness.

There are now far more powerful inexpensive processor modules to adapt for audio to video display, unfortunately outside my area of adeptness.

Above my pay scale Boss Man, as well, unless I pour some time and research into it, which I have no incentive to..
Take care.

I can "see" an add-on blue tooth linked programmable device from the sound system to the video display for this purpose being do-able.

I can "see" an add-on blue tooth linked programmable device from the sound system to the video display for this purpose being do-able.

Look in to it, if interested, as for me, I have zero experience with Blue tooth.
Never been a need, though I have some fundamental understanding, I have always been a hard wired guy.

For a simple informative handheld audio display, I like Spectroid RTA analyzer.

Not familiar with that one.
I still have my first real RTA (circa, 1980) purchased portable(hand held) IVIE IE 30A class 1, 31 band/SPL meter 480 micro LED RTA, then the NTE AL1 Acousilyzer, and Audio Control something 31 band/SPL analyzer(like the car stereo people use).and a hand full of HQ measurement microphones/super low noise measurement preamps, and a Gen Rad measurement Mic calibrator..
Plus an 1st gen (circa 1989)Crown TEF 12A DOS based 5 1/4" Floppy disc based portable (45lb,not so hand held !)powerfully eye opener, the TDS/FFT/TDS audio analyzer, and ironically AK`s own twiiii accused me some time back on this site of cheating when he found out that I had purchased it in 1990 before Mac acquired one, and was using it to analyze my Mac XRT 22 speaker system, for two way bi-amping time alignment, because Mac wouldn`t provide me the information of the needed millisecond time offset for my digital XOVER`s information between the tweeter column and the Bass/mid cabinet, when I called Mac engineering(and I quote from the engineer: "Why would you want to bi-amp these speakers") and I replied "why would I not wish/want to ?)

Anyway audio/acoustic measurement technology/technics has progressed greatly, as your, I`m confidently aware/ familiar of.

Take care Sir.

Most kind regards, OKB

Not familiar with that one.
I still have my first real RTA (circa, 1980) purchased portable(hand held) IVIE IE 30A class 1, 31 band/SPL meter 480 micro LED RTA, then the NTE AL1 Acousilyzer, and Audio Control something 31 band/SPL analyzer(like the car stereo people use).and a hand full of HQ measurement microphones/super low noise measurement preamps, and a Gen Rad measurement Mic calibrator..
Plus an 1st gen (circa 1989)Crown TEF 12A DOS based 5 1/4" Floppy disc based portable (45lb,not so hand held !)powerfully eye opener, the TDS/FFT/TDS audio analyzer, and ironically AK`s own twiiii accused me some time back on this site of cheating when he found out that I had purchased it in 1990 before Mac acquired one, and was using it to analyze my Mac XRT 22 speaker system, for two way bi-amping time alignment, because Mac wouldn`t provide me the information of the needed millisecond time offset for my digital XOVER`s information between the tweeter column and the Bass/mid cabinet, when I called Mac engineering(and I quote from the engineer: "Why would you want to bi-amp these speakers") and I replied "why would I not wish/want to ?)

Anyway audio/acoustic measurement technology/technics has progressed greatly, as your, I`m confidently aware/ familiar of.

Take care Sir.

Most kind regards, OKB
Spectroid RTA is a free smartphone application that I use on the go. I can recommend it for general use monitoring frequency distribution and relative loudness.

Spectroid RTA is a free smartphone application that I use on the go. I can recommend it for general use monitoring frequency distribution and relative loudness.

Thanks anyway, but no Smart phone here, just a basic "I`ve fallen down, and can`t get up" Motorola $50.00 flip phone that rarely gets turned on, much less used.

Have a great week Sir.

Kind regards, "Summer time burning up in the South" OKB

It's a useful handy portable instrumentation for general audio analysis. Being hearing impaired, I use it to visualize what I cannot hear.

I've seen several YouTube vids showing how to make an okd B&W or color TV into a audio meter. It is pretty simple to do minus the fact you do have to be mindful of the high voltage. The unit I posted about earlier really is a strange design. It's a VHF/VHF TV, monitor, closed circuit TV, audio watt meter. When I got it, it had NASA stickers on it. A Calibration sticker with dates and signed along with a "launch pad 6" sticker. NASA used a JC Penney MCS componant! I thought that was kind of cool. The watt meter function uses split screen for stereo. It tends to roll a bit though. At some point I want to restore it. It's the one second from the bottom in the picture.
20180626_140951.jpg

Back
Top Bottom