How to remove cigarette glazing?

You're cleaning your faceplate with ammonia? Well if it works for you than keep doing it.
For others, ammonia is considered a caustic substance. Don't use lye, alkaline cleaners or acids either.
Don't believe me then you can read this: http://anodizeinc.com/2017/04/20/care-and-cleaning-of-anodizing/

I've used Windex for decades without issue. It is not the same as pure ammonia. The clear coats are a lot more durable than your giving them credit for. Mind you I never suggested spraying the product on the surface then leaving there for an hour. This may well cause issues to the clearcoat I agree. But applied to a paper towel and gently used to wipe the surface will not case problems and I've used it for everything from Akai to Fisher, gold, silver and black anodized.

In any case, it seems the ammonia is no longer part of the current Windex formula which had undergone a number of changes over the years. However it does contain an ammonia fragrance. The 1989 formula contained 5% ammonia but it seems it is no longer used.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windex

The 1989 formula contained 5% ammonia but it seems it is no longer used.
Ammonia has a percentage level by volume like Isopropyl Alcohol that comes in 70% & 90%. The Ammonia sold as a cleaner in the stores is around 5%, very strong stuff I order for work is around 20%.

BTW I also use Ammonia and water for cleaning out classic cars that have been closed up for many years, I know you know what I'm talking about as I did when you brought it up.

I was raised in a house with two smokers and everyone who came over smoked. I have also smoked my whole life really, I wash things down with Ammonia and water. I wash out my whole car interior as well as the window as it's the only thing that will clean the windows without simmering streaks.

getting technical here ..how does the gas ammonia clean things? i like to learn these things .. is it sort of fizzy for wanting of a better word?

Ammonium hydroxide " Ammonia" that they are refering to. Household ammonia or ammonium hydroxide is a solution of NH3 in water.
that stuff seems to hate metals ..
PubChem CID: 14923
Chemical Names: Ammonium hydroxide; 1336-21-6; Ammonia water; Ammonia aqueous; Aquammonia; Aqua ammonia More...
Molecular Formula: NH4OH or WIDTH=100% BORDER=1 CELLPADDING=2 CELLSPACING=0>PHYSICAL & CHEMICAL INFORMATIONPhysical State; Appearance VERY VOLATILE COLOURLESS AMMONIA SOLUTION IN WATER WITH PUNGENT ODOUR.Physical dangers Chemical dangers Reacts with many heavy metals and heavy metal salts. This produces explosive compounds. Attacks many metals. This produces flammable/explosive gas (hydrogen - see ICSC 0001). The solution in water is a strong base. It reacts violently with acids.Formula: NH4OH Molecular mass: 35.1 Boiling point: 38°C (25%) Melting point: -58°C (25%) Relative density (water = 1): 0.9 (25%) Solubility in water: miscible Vapour pressure, kPa at 20°C: 48 (25%) Relative vapour density (air = 1): 0.6-1.2 or H5NO
Molecular Weight: 35.046 g/mol
InChI Key: VHUUQVKOLVNVRT-UHFFFAOYSA-N
Safety Summary: Laboratory Chemical Safety Summary (LCSS)

Windex & Bounty paper towels. Spray on paper towels until wet - not on unit - and carefully wipe. Will probably need to repeat over several times with clean towels until there are no signs of film.

BTW - Nicotine is colorless and odorless. Film caused from smoking is tar.

This^ - it worked great on my Sherwood S -7100A done exactly as described by 62. Thing looked gold from smoke. Came out looking like new. Bob

36176926_10211939177537704_6845713064168259584_o.jpg

PubChem CID: 14923
Chemical Names: Ammonium hydroxide; 1336-21-6; Ammonia water; Ammonia aqueous; Aquammonia; Aqua ammonia More...
Molecular Formula: NH4OH or WIDTH=100% BORDER=1 CELLPADDING=2 CELLSPACING=0>PHYSICAL & CHEMICAL INFORMATIONPhysical State; Appearance VERY VOLATILE COLOURLESS AMMONIA SOLUTION IN WATER WITH PUNGENT ODOUR.Physical dangers Chemical dangers Reacts with many heavy metals and heavy metal salts. This produces explosive compounds. Attacks many metals. This produces flammable/explosive gas (hydrogen - see ICSC 0001). The solution in water is a strong base. It reacts violently with acids.Formula: NH4OH Molecular mass: 35.1 Boiling point: 38°C (25%) Melting point: -58°C (25%) Relative density (water = 1): 0.9 (25%) Solubility in water: miscible Vapour pressure, kPa at 20°C: 48 (25%) Relative vapour density (air = 1): 0.6-1.2 or H5NO
Molecular Weight: 35.046 g/mol
InChI Key: VHUUQVKOLVNVRT-UHFFFAOYSA-N
Safety Summary: Laboratory Chemical Safety Summary (LCSS)
Yep thats the stuff..

The solution in water is a strong base. 11 ph on a 1 - 14 ph scale

Last edited:
What Not To Clean Aluminum With
  • Ammonia - because it can mottle and pit the surface
  • Strong alkalis - using these will cause discoloration
  • Chlorine bleach - will corrode and discolor aluminum
  • Scouring or abrasive products - because aluminum scratches easily
Clean Aluminum With Mild Dishwashing Liquid
To remove both oil and grease you should clean aluminum with a solution of water and mild dishwashing liquid.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Starting fluid & Q-Tips
It contains oil so I wouldn't want it on my faceplates and the diethyl ether is a plastic solvent (I think the clear coat on anodized aluminum is an acrylic). It may(most likely will) remove the silkscreen especially on older gear.

I used a 50-50 mix of water and rubbing alcohol on my Marantz 104 that looked and smelled like it had been through a house fire. It cleaned the film and smell, and didn't hurt any of the lettering. FWIW when I had the windows tinted in my wife and my cars, the owner of the company that did them told me to use this on the tint film and not Windex. After trying the 50-50 mix it's the only thing I use on my cars inside and out. No streaks and it takes off any crud that might be on the glass, and the tint looks the same as it did when it was put on 5 years ago. I'm not saying not to use Windex on your gear, I'm just trying to offer an alternative.

It contains oil so I wouldn't want it on my faceplates and the diethyl ether is a plastic solvent (I think the clear coat on anodized aluminum is an acrylic). It may(most likely will) remove the silkscreen especially on older gear.
Ok... good to know.
Don't use Starting fluid!

What Not To Clean Aluminum With
  • Ammonia - because it can mottle and pit the surface
  • Strong alkalis - using these will cause discoloration
  • Chlorine bleach - will corrode and discolor aluminum
  • Scouring or abrasive products - because aluminum scratches easily

There is a over looked problem with these two comments.

1) The Op or anyone else washing a stereo face plate is not washing the "Aluminum"

2) 99-9% of the stereo face plates are Anodized Aluminum" be it clear or color, and a clear coat over it.

Without this anodizing, the Aluminum would not stay bright and would corrode and tarnish with the oils and acids in out hands and moisture in the air.

What one is in fact washing is the coating and not the aluminum as it is incased in anodizing. Anyone who has ever see a scratch though the anodized aluminum can see it turns dark gray very fast, that's the oxidation of the uncoated aluminum.

Wiki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anodizing#Anodized_aluminum

Back
Top Bottom